I laugh when I hear people say "Amazon Air will never work"

Re: I laugh when I hear people say "Amazon Air will never wo

I sort of agree with most of what Monte55 said. Even if it becomes possible dont mean its going to be feasible for as he put it an ear bud emergency. But I would wager we will see them used for other vital things to remote locations before we see some one getting some none essential non vital package dropped off to regular every day joes. and even tho many know how the goverment likes to ban stuff and stifle good ideals. They also like to make sure they can clamp down on the financiers competitors. after all its not like the US goverment likes true free market capitializim. and If and when amazon is able to pull it off and start doing it USPS as well as ups are not going to like it esp when it will keep all of them from profiting from amazons sales. So you will have them all pushing to either get them banned or to be able to use them also to compete.

But like I said the day will come when drones are used to deliver important things to out of the way areas and they also will be used to bring things in to dangerous locations. The military is already converting some of its helicopters to be drones and they envision being able to use them to fly supply's in to areas were they dont want to risk a pilot going in to.
I also can see some day were drones will be and could be used for rescue missions to. and unlike amazon if DARPA wants to deloope some thing they dont need goverment approval or even worry about profit or lose. They can just use all the money it takes if they think they want some thing bad enough. and if they run out of money to fund them selves the goverment can just tax us to death some more and just take as much of the peoples money as they need to keep going. Amazon dont have that luxury to be able to shake people down for there tribute money to keep there expansion of the empire going.

I see all this happening way before getting a pair of shoes off of amazon. and even that I'm sure some day they could get it all going and clear all the hurtals that need to be over come. But I dont think regular every day private cos are going to be using drones on a big scale any time to soon. Because its also going to take time to get people to be accustomed to it and not fearful of it even once they do get it down so its safe dependable and reliable. Thats going to take a few years to reprogram people to not be scared of new things and have to counter the deliberate campaign to Villonize civilian drones for the last few years to try and make every one scared of any drone that isnt a goverment spying or killing machine. THO THEY SEEM perfectly ok and no one seems to care about there own goverment using drones to kill people or spy on citizens. But some one just flying around a hobby drone and its all "oh no hide the kids hide the wife quick ma go get me my gun there violating our privacccccy"

TimmyG94 said:
What service is this? I got Amazon Prime and I'm quite happy with free 2-day delivery. However, same day delivery is the next hill to be conquered, and drones can make that happen cost effectively, for many but not all items.

Yeah, you keep saying that, or implying that, but so far your aggressive assertion rests with a fast toy helicopter that appears to have only manual control. I didn't see you demonstrate any programmable delivery, or any GPS function or obstacle avoidance whatsoever. Nor did I see you offer any cost estimates. Just a happy, goofy, and pretty snarky pronouncement. So many crucial points you just gloss over. "drones can make that happen cost effectively, for many but not all items". You forgot the important point....the "many but not all markets" .

Yeah...it will happen. No...it ain't gonna happen soon.

"Emergency earbud delivery service". Heh.

I'm going to regret getting into this conversation...never mind.

I doubt the delivery cost will make it to $10 for a bottle of pills. Using current aviation standards for maintenance, what do you think an autonomous drone will require? Will it require physical inspection after every flight? Who will perform that task, the pharmacist? Does the Walgreens have a fleet to handle the unexpected issues for said service. Who is monitoring the flight status, a central office? Who is dispatched if a UAV fails it's mission...

In this example, it would be better to hire a car/driver to pick up and deliver in the dead of night. I'm thinking $25, a car and one person. This is a common delivery method and it works without fail or without complex issues. And before you say anything further, pizza or hot wing delivery is not worth paying a premium for...;) You're only talking about a portion of the picture...in your argument.

In the end, if you want a pair of ear buds you'll either run to (insert your local retailer here) and pick up a pair at a normal retail cost. Otherwise you buy online at a perceived discount, add shipping and wait a couple of days at the most. Further dropbox warehouse locations would be populated like cell towers to make a coverage area. Again adding unreasonable cost to a premium service.

So your application example is the majority for want, but is the least cost effective means, IMHO. Now if you lived on an island or back woods and the flight was as the crow flys better, then we are talking a solution to a problem. That group is very much the minority. Like taxis, I'll expect a drone delivery service to handle all things drones for (insert your local retailer here). But again the premium for this service will make this a short lived marketing cycle at best...for the masses.

And calling people names is not an intellectual conversation. FWIW, I'd love for this type of service to work, but it just doesn't pan out from my vantage point.

MacCool said:
Yeah, you keep saying that, or implying that, but so far your aggressive assertion rests with a fast toy helicopter that appears to have only manual control. I didn't see you demonstrate any programmable delivery, or any GPS function or obstacle avoidance whatsoever. Nor did I see you offer any cost estimates. Just a happy, goofy, and pretty snarky pronouncement. So many crucial points you just gloss over. "drones can make that happen cost effectively, for many but not all items". You forgot the important point....the "many but not all markets"

I continue to laugh at people like you who think a company like Amazon which has a market cap of over $135 BILLION is going to be forced to only use "toy helicopters" to deliver products? :lol:

Seriously, do you have absolutely ZERO knowledge about what kind of drones are already out there for consumer/industrial use? Ever heard of nitro?

Here's an example of a prototype drone delivering a pizza. Sure looks a lot more powerful than a "little toy helicopter" that you presume multi-billion dollar companies are forced to use.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRxb7qjisM[/youtube]

RichWest said:
I doubt the delivery cost will make it to $10 for a bottle of pills. Using current aviation standards for maintenance, what do you think an autonomous drone will require? Will it require physical inspection after every flight? Who will perform that task, the pharmacist? Does the Walgreens have a fleet to handle the unexpected issues for said service. Who is monitoring the flight status, a central office? Who is dispatched if a UAV fails it's mission...

Hmm, so you're saying postal employees are responsible for doing maintenance tasks on their trucks? Ever heard of maintenance contracts? Every delivery company on Earth uses them. FedEx and UPS don't have their warehouse employees become certified truck and airplane mechanics, do they? They hire a service company to make sure their fleet is running smoothly and they pay a fee for that. Walgreen's and Rite Aid will simply pay a drone company a maintenance fee to make sure their little flyers are well-maintained and reliable. Do you know anything about how the business world is run on a daily basis? Seems to me like you need to enroll in a basic economics class at a community college to get a better idea of how things are operating out there.

In this example, it would be better to hire a car/driver to pick up and deliver in the dead of night. I'm thinking $25, a car and one person. This is a common delivery method and it works without fail or without complex issues. And before you say anything further, pizza or hot wing delivery is not worth paying a premium for...;) You're only talking about a portion of the picture...in your argument.

That's actually a really dumb idea and mostly impossible for many people in the USA. I live in rural area and I can't simply call up some courier service and pay them $25 to deliver an item to me at 11pm at night. Perhaps you get that kind of service in Manhattan or downtown Chicago, but I guarantee you don't see it anywhere in small to mid-size towns in America. And what happens when it stopped snowing but there is 6 inches of unplowed snow on the roads and it's quite treacherous to drive to a pharmacy late at night to get needed medication? Do all courier services drive snowmobiles? Please try to think better about these issues because you just look really clueless otherwise.

So your application example is the majority for want, but is the least cost effective means, IMHO. Now if you lived on an island or back woods and the flight was as the crow flys better, then we are talking a solution to a problem. That group is very much the minority. Like taxis, I'll expect a drone delivery service to handle all things drones for (insert your local retailer here). But again the premium for this service will make this a short lived marketing cycle at best...for the masses.

Again, I never said drones were going to replace FedEx and UPS for all situations. You got a really bad case of tunnel vision, and you seem kinda hopeless in that respect. Drones will fill a niche that will be small at first, but will become larger and larger as they become cheaper and more versatile. All it takes is looking at current technologies (computers, cell phones, etc) to see they developed in the exact same way. The only people using desktop computers in the late 70s were NASA engineers and govt. database adminstrators. Forward to the early 90's and many people of all kinds of backgrounds were using them. Drones will expand to MANY, MANY uses and become so compelling that pretty much everyone will have them. I can put a guarantee on that, friend.

And calling people names is not an intellectual conversation. FWIW, I'd love for this type of service to work, but it just doesn't pan out from my vantage point.

I'm gonna try to be nice to you here because you seem like one of those "childish fragile egos" I referenced in an earlier post. So I will just finish by saying that you have a REALLY bad grip on current and forthcoming capabilities of drones and what the costs and operational requirements involved will be. I didnt call you a naughty name that will hurt your feelings, but I made my point loud and clear. :lol:

TimmyG94 said:
I continue to laugh at people like you who think a company like Amazon which has a market cap of over $135 BILLION is going to be forced to only use "toy helicopters" to deliver products? :lol:
You're the one that started this thread asserting that a toy drone was compelling evidence that drone delivery is feasible.

Seriously, do you have absolutely ZERO knowledge about how a reasonable and rational debate is conducted?
You've made one point loud and clear in all of this - and it aint about drone delivery.

Meta4 said:
You're the one that started this thread asserting that a toy drone was compelling evidence that drone delivery is feasible.

Seriously, do you have absolutely ZERO knowledge about how a reasonable and rational debate is conducted?
You've made one point loud and clear in all of this - and it aint about drone delivery.

So I said a toy drone is compelling evidence that commercial drone delivery will work. Pretty much the same thing as shooting off a model rocket and saying someday we can use the same core technology to carry men to the Moon.

But of course, in your "expert opinion" that would be impossible.

Owned ya again, bubby. :)

Yet 60 years later, we still haven't seen a private investor take civilians to the moon.

TimmyG94 said:
[

Seriously, do you have absolutely ZERO knowledge about what kind of drones are already out there for consumer/industrial use? Ever heard of nitro?

I continue to laugh at people like you who spout these adolescent fantasies that have been promulgating flying cars for the last 30+ years. And now "delivery drones".

Seriously, do you have absolutely ZERO knowledge about business and economics? Do you have absolutely ZERO knowledge about the FAA and airspace management?

TimmyG94 said:
Hmm, so you're saying postal employees are responsible for doing maintenance tasks on their trucks? Ever heard of maintenance contracts? Every delivery company on Earth uses them. FedEx and UPS don't have their warehouse employees become certified truck and airplane mechanics, do they? They hire a service company to make sure their fleet is running smoothly and they pay a fee for that. Walgreen's and Rite Aid will simply pay a drone company a maintenance fee to make sure their little flyers are well-maintained and reliable. Do you know anything about how the business world is run on a daily basis? Seems to me like you need to enroll in a basic economics class at a community college to get a better idea of how things are operating out there.

I can certainly tell you don't have a whole lot of business sense either - this is yet another cost that will drive up the price of delivery. Because it will start as a niche market... you're little maintenance agreement will be expensive and won't be in the yellow pages under "delivery drone maintenance company." While the concept of farming the work out to a company that does this is EVENTUALLY sound... those services only develop after a critical mass of demand develops. Only when there's enough people offering this service will there be pressure on prices...and that will only happen if the demand for drone delivery survives high initial prices.

That's actually a really dumb idea and mostly impossible for many people in the USA. I live in rural area and I can't simply call up some courier service and pay them $25 to deliver an item to me at 11pm at night. Perhaps you get that kind of service in Manhattan or downtown Chicago, but I guarantee you don't see it anywhere in small to mid-size towns in America. And what happens when it stopped snowing but there is 6 inches of unplowed snow on the roads and it's quite treacherous to drive to a pharmacy late at night to get needed medication? Do all courier services drive snowmobiles? Please try to think better about these issues because you just look really clueless otherwise.

Besides being insulting through and through for no reason - your argument is extraordinarily flawed. It is FAR less likely for drone delivery to make economic sense in a place where fewer people live because the demand will be far less. Good Lord... so you're saying your answer to snow covered roads is to have drone delivery for the 3 people who need it? You're right... courier services are not fiscally sound investments in rural areas... but neither are drones (even one's with nitro fuel - which is far more expensive than gas).

I'm gonna try to be nice to you here because you seem like one of those "childish fragile egos" I referenced in an earlier post. So I will just finish by saying that you have a REALLY bad grip on current and forthcoming capabilities of drones and what the costs and operational requirements involved will be. I didnt call you a naughty name that will hurt your feelings, but I made my point loud and clear. :lol:

EVERYONE sees through your passive aggressive approach.... I mean seriously.... you actually think you are being nice? People who throw around phrases like "childish fragile egos" seem to miss the fact that they are looking in a mirror.

Wow, your baiting the conversation...I won't follow.

TimmyG94 said:
sdtrojan said:
I guess the hemorrhagic flyer is back. Lighten up, buddy. Debate is a reasonable discourse between people, not a mean-spirited flame war with everyone who disagrees with you. You'll get more people to agree with your POV if you can be friendly and convince them of your argument's merits, not by calling everyone who counters your argument names.

I don't like calling people names, but sometimes it's necessary to be concise and direct. No reason to use obscenities, but calling somebody a "fuddy duddy" or "delusional weirdo" hammers my point across rather quickly and effectively. :p

On the contrary, there is never justification for name calling or the type of condescension you have used on this site. The only point that gets hammered rather quickly and effectively is how little credibility you have when you respond in that fashion.

This is the second thread you started regarding your feelings about Amazon delivery. Not sure why you want to re-hash what you already said before in your other thread...but this time, it seems you are taking a more dis-respectful tone which will certainly not gain you any converts to your opinion, if that is what you seek. Not sure which "debate" school taught you that you can win a debate solely by be-littling your opponent. I think you must have skipped a few debate classes. That DOES NOT work.
TimmyG94 said:
I guess I'm most disgusted by all the emotional weaklings in here. I say one wittle thing that hurts their feelings and they go crying to the moderator. Reminds me of an infant who craps his diapers and needs Mommy to save the day. I have to "SMH" at the maturity level of many people who post in here.

Someone usually will report you to the moderator not because you have expressed a different opinion than they might have, but because you become dis-respectful, condescending and insulting in your responses to other members, as you have done here.

Why are you so hyped about a mediocre service that'll have limitations anyways, and willing to argue over it in multiple threads?
You sound like a Playstation fanboy on an Xbox forum (or the other way around, however you prefer).

RichWest said:

I wish I would have done that... well done :)

Buckaye said:
RichWest said:

How about we all make sure there's no 'next time' when it comes to participating in this poster's flame bait posts.

I'm in.

N017RW said:
Buckaye said:
RichWest said:

How about we all make sure there's no 'next time' when it comes to participating in this poster's flame bait posts.

I'm in.

+1 - **** you and your reasonable and well thought out approach to things :)

I do think he has the right to voice his opinion although he's been a bit rude at times. Whether his future posts are restricted or not, that is the decision of the forum head. As far as his posts, he in an angel compared to some of the crap I have read on here. Remember freedom of speach.

Aw, darn, this ended. I was having so much fun reading......... :roll:
"How about we all make sure there's no 'next time' when it comes to participating in this poster's flame bait posts."
That is what it is all about......

I agree with hearing alternative opinions and perspectives, free speech, etc.

But as soon as it turns to flame bait...

My guess is it won't take long.

MacCool said:
I continue to laugh at people like you who spout these adolescent fantasies that have been promulgating flying cars for the last 30+ years. And now "delivery drones".

I had "adolescent fantasies" about desktop computers coming true in the 70's and 80's and guess what? They came true.

In 1988 I had a dream that someday I would be holding a small device in my hand that could let me make phone calls anywhere, and also do some computing tasks. Guess what? It came true.

Now when I think about drones someday soon delivering packages with cost efficiency and reliability. You can guess that answer. I WILL BE RIGHT AGAIN.

Choke on those facts, buster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic