I landed my phantom in the water today.

Reaction score
It is hard work being an old fart. Everything is harder. I was over a river taking a video of a large concrete bridge. I got some beautiful shots from every angle. I was dropping down and looking at the massive concrete arches. I was really caught up in the beauty of it all when my video went out. I was only about 200 meters away. I looked up from my iPad and my phantom was setting in the river. I think it was actually floating. I brought it up out of the water and flew it back to me. The camera just hung down not working. My dad's house was nearby. I went there and took a hair dryer to it. After that I took it home and was still shaking water out of everything. I disassembled the gimbal. I put it and the battery in a dehydrator for 7 hours. I put it all back together this evening minus props. Everything works good on my living room floor. I let it run for quite a while checking out everything. I'll do calibrations tomorrow and take it for a test flight.

It is hard work being an old fart. Everything is harder. I was over a river taking a video of a large concrete bridge. I got some beautiful shots from every angle. I was dropping down and looking at the massive concrete arches. I was really caught up in the beauty of it all when my video went out. I was only about 200 meters away. I looked up from my iPad and my phantom was setting in the river. I think it was actually floating. I brought it up out of the water and flew it back to me. The camera just hung down not working. My dad's house was nearby. I went there and took a hair dryer to it. After that I took it home and was still shaking water out of everything. I disassembled the gimbal. I put it and the battery in a dehydrator for 7 hours. I put it all back together this evening minus props. Everything works good on my living room floor. I let it run for quite a while checking out everything. I'll do calibrations tomorrow and take it for a test flight.

Sorry to hear that! Keep us posted.

Wow lucky to fly out of that,buy a lotery ticket,best of luck for future flights :)

First time I see a drone up in the air after landing in water. You must be the lucky guy around.

Reactions: Shakemaker
Did you get some underwater shots of fish coming up to it and gawking?
Ha ha. The camera doesn't work under water. That is what surprised me is how long it sat there. Old farts don't move quickly. Just after I landed, it shut off by it's self. The battery had water in it. I can't fly till later today. The battery has two bars left and looks fine.

Watching one of those- "Best drone crashes 2017", Phantom went in the water, props still spinning above water, camera view shows a good sized fish inspecting drone underwater!

Watching one of those- "Best drone crashes 2017", Phantom went in the water, props still spinning above water, camera view shows a good sized fish inspecting drone underwater!
I must have a bad camera. It won't work underwater. You think I should call DJI about that? Lol
Next time I'm going to put a spinner on the end of a fishing line. I'll skim the surface of the river and see what I'll catch.

I calibrated everything. Battery cells all good and even output. I took it for a test flight in GPS mode. I let it hover in front of me and I flew figure 8's. I took it to 400 ft. up and flew it 3000 ft. away with no problem. POI worked good and so did atti mode. Everything just as before the river landing.

I have a occasional vibration that was there before. Like the phantom has a bad cold chill. I will probably make another post about that.

Last edited:
She didn't like me paying that much money for a " toy ". She considers my Nikon a toy also.

Could it be so that she never watched neither one of your video clips nor looked at one of your stills?

Hopefully you won't lose the pleasure of flying your bird and taking pictures with that grumble in the background ;)

Could it be so that she never watched neither one of your video clips nor looked at one of your stills?

Hopefully you won't lose the pleasure of flying your bird and taking pictures with that grumble in the background ;)
Yea, she loves my pictures. I have some on Google earth. Not done much with my p3s yet. She just doesn't care for me spending that much money.

The saying, " pulled out of the fire" could be applied here with a minor word change!

Glad to hear your P3S is working. I have two, and they are each quite different to fly than the other.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4