I just spent $1148 and am now nervous!

I know how you feel. I just ordered the P3 Pro and 2 extra batteries.
Feeling pretty nervous too.
Not about flyin' - I'm nervous about becoming a Drone Hoarder.
There are those cat ladies - I'm gonna be "that drone guy."
But my house will be filled with half dead lipos and broken props instead of litter boxes - WIN!

Just keep in mind what the Phantom 3 is, it's a camera platform, not an experimental bird to go faster, higher, further. Read the manual, read it again and just for fun and giggles read it one more time. Then watch every video on DJI's website and youtube. When you feel comfortable take it out and start slow. Just a few feet of the ground and practice basic maneuvers. Here's a good basic flight program. Don't try to fly beyond your skills, forget you even have a camera for the first few flights, concentrate on your flying skills. Use a checklist before every flight. A better checklist written specifically for the P3P. I don't leave home w/o it. It's very easy to forget a critical step, like compass calibration, when one is nervous. Have fun.
Wow Luis, EXCELLENT post!
Great links to checklist's. I've never seen the Phantom 2 Vision + Mission Checklists before. Pretty interesting website as well. I was about to ask if there was a P1 specific checklist and then remembered the basic rule of thumb.... "search first then ask". Low and behold, following that simple formula I found this P1 checklist from JKDSensei. BTW, thanks for that Sensei.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic. :) Back to the OP...
"she already is questioning why I would spend money ON THAT THING!"
LMAO... That's "one" of the reasons I'm still single ;) I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just being nervous about it shows me that you're gonna exercise all due precautions. And don't forget to HAVE FUN! The more you fly the more confidence you'll build. If you ever find yourself getting too cocky just remember back to how you feel now and that'll bring ya back down to earth... LOL And oh, BTW welcome to the forum! You'll not find a better, more knowledgeable and friendly group of people on the net.
BOT

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks BOT.

I am a person who lives by the motto that I will try anything for the fun and experience of it.

I have learned to fly...real airplanes...an avid and very safe motorcycle rider...I am quite into river boating...Mississippi river is near me here in Minnesota. I have purchased and learned to ride a Segway and a Solowheel (Check out Solowheel), and on and on.

I am not afraid of much and love new things. I will exercise ample caution and do not think I will make mistakes.

However, I have read some posts about seemingly random flyaways and that concerns me. But, most of the posts here have been very reassuring and I look forward to the day I can share my experiences and help others.

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
I know how you feel. I just ordered the P3 Pro and 2 extra batteries.
Feeling pretty nervous too.
Not about flyin' - I'm nervous about becoming a Drone Hoarder.
There are those cat ladies - I'm gonna be "that drone guy."
But my house will be filled with half dead lipos and broken props instead of litter boxes - WIN!

On the plus side, it should smell better. So you got that going for you. :D

What is a Tracker and where does one go to purchase
http://eurekaproducts.com/rc-model-tracking-and-recovery/
Marco Polo... spendy but I got one and have tried it, not on a lost drone but just tested it and it works, I like it because it doesn't depend on GPS or Cell service. I actually just bought another tag for it. there are quite a few options out there good luck. I feel your nervousness on flying your new Phantom3, I have not flown mine yet perhaps this week.

Reactions: JKDSensei
You're gonna make a lot of friends here. Sometimes people are wrong because they got bad information. Myself included. Calling people idiots is not necessary.

Not here for friends, here for information on how to operate my drone in the most effective manner possible. People suggesting to constantly recalibrate a compass without reason are a sure-fire way to introduce risk to flight. Calibrate it once in a pristine environment, and leave it alone unless you change hardware or move locations >100 miles. Period.

get a Marco Polo tracker and just go fly it in a Big open area.
have fun.

Not here for friends, here for information on how to operate my drone in the most effective manner possible. People suggesting to constantly recalibrate a compass without reason are a sure-fire way to introduce risk to flight. Calibrate it once in a pristine environment, and leave it alone unless you change hardware or move locations >100 miles. Period.
Wow ...vgt as far as the compass calibration I do agree with you somewhat on that with the P1 and 2 . As far as the P3 I don't have one and don't know just what it requires . Have seen some good comments in here and some I don't agree with . I would seriously not try and learn to fly a few feet off the ground but do have some altitude as just a little mistake and you are going to roll it.
Toad I see you have been reading and know you will not have any problems learning all of this.
vgt... as far as you not being here for friends well I really feel we just not friends here but more like a family . You calling anyone here an idiot is
wrong and is not going to help you get very far here . You might make comments but if ya ever ask for help the one that might can might be the one you called that . You think they would go out of their way to help you ? Just saying we already have the non flyers on us bad enough with out us being at each others throat and really am seeing to much of that lately as it is .
If ya just here for info cool. But man don't be calling folks names as that's not cool !
JMO :)

Being a little nervous is good,,much better than the people that write they were at 400' on their second flight, and it "flew away",,

Remember, big open area, don't go too high (so you can easily see it), remember its a photo/video platform, not a FPV racing quad

You're gonna make a lot of friends here. Sometimes people are wrong because they got bad information. Myself included. Calling people idiots is not necessary.

sometimes when i go into pilot app there will be a notification that a coumpas calabration is needed.
real simple to do and when you have finished your coumpas calabration Dance you are ready to go.
no big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow ...vgt as far as the compass calibration I do agree with you somewhat on that with the P1 and 2 . As far as the P3 I don't have one and don't know just what it requires . Have seen some good comments in here and some I don't agree with . I would seriously not try and learn to fly a few feet off the ground but do have some altitude as just a little mistake and you are going to roll it.
Toad I see you have been reading and know you will not have any problems learning all of this.
vgt... as far as you not being here for friends well I really feel we just not friends here but more like a family . You calling anyone here an idiot is
wrong and is not going to help you get very far here . You might make comments but if ya ever ask for help the one that might can might be the one you called that . You think they would go out of their way to help you ? Just saying we already have the non flyers on us bad enough with out us being at each others throat and really am seeing to much of that lately as it is .
If ya just here for info cool. But man don't be calling folks names as that's not cool !
JMO :)

vgt.....
If you are here to gather information, then I suggest you do just that, do not comment on anything when you cannot speak without name calling.
Just TAKE from this group, and keep quiet.

vgt.....
If you are here to gather information, then I suggest you do just that, do not comment on anything when you cannot speak without name calling.
Just TAKE from this group, and keep quiet.

Yes, Mastah.

What?

Really?

That's contrary to everything I have learned.

Don't do it unless your app readings say you need to. If you have a good compass calibration it will stick for a long time. If it aint broke as they say

Reactions: 750r and dirkclod
Here to gather information, or challenge information?

gather the good, challenge the terrible
All well and good but do it politely or face the consequences. ;)

http://eurekaproducts.com/rc-model-tracking-and-recovery/
Marco Polo... spendy but I got one and have tried it, not on a lost drone but just tested it and it works, I like it because it doesn't depend on GPS or Cell service. I actually just bought another tag for it. there are quite a few options out there good luck. I feel your nervousness on flying your new Phantom3, I have not flown mine yet perhaps this week.

While the MP will work in a 2 mile radius, it is pretty much useless for a quad that can travel miles on a full charge. I use a GPS/cell enabled device (PocketFinder).

OMG - you've seen my work table?
(There's my heavy-lift hex in the middle.)
2015-08-10-13.47.32-480x360.jpg

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic