I just had the opposite of a fly away

Reaction score
I was flying around my shop this morning, just messing around. I used the DJI ap, then the DJI Ultimate Flight ap, then the Litchi ap. I noticed in Litchi it had auto take off. I think I may have tried this once before but since I was just messing around I tried it again. It was cool watching it take off by itself. It got to about 24-25 feet agl, then froze there. The Litchi ap froze also. I could not get it to do anything. I moved the sticks all over - no response. I closed Litchi and started the DJI ap. It wouldn't connect. I think Litchi still had control, or my quad thought it had control, but it was stuck. I tried shutting down the motors with the sticks - no response. I turned off the transmitter and the rear lights on the quad went yellow, but nothing happened. I got nervous about the home point and turned the transmitter back on, still no response.
Thank GOD this happened at my shop. I ran in and grabbed a ladder. not tall enough. I have a 20 foot piece of 3/4" pvc with a rag tie wrapped on the end of it. I use this to wipe spider webs from my cameras in the shop. I stuck the rag end through the landing gear and started bringing it down. Of course it was fighting me, trying to hold it's position. I got it close enough where I could grab it then shut it off. WHEW! That was the most nerve racking experience as I have ever had with my quad so far. I was shaking.
I got it in my shop, and removed the props. I went back out and turned everything back on (in order) and DJI camera and DJI Ultimate Flight worked. When I tried Litchi it was still stuck with a camera view from 25 feet. I guess if the ap locks up while it has control, you can't get control back? I'm asking. I'm trying to figure out 1 what I did wrong and 2 what I should have done differently. Now I'm thinking I should have powered down the tablet.
hindsight is 20/20 haha
man I'm glad THATS over and I still have my quad

sdtag: I am a rookie with these but it seems your bird did lock on to a command from one ap! Something seems to have overridden your controller - and you lost communication from the controller to the bird. Wish I had answers to help - about all I can say is whatever ap you last used (Litchi) - don't use again until you find a resolve.

On second thought, I'm wondering if perhaps the DJI ap was running in the background and creating some kind of interference as such? Maybe give it a try again but this time be sure the DJI ap is turned off (tie a string to the landing gear so you can pull it back down if needed - if that is even possible - lol). Guessing here - but likely what I would do when trying to find an answer for this failure.

Man that would have freaked me out also - glad to see you had a safe ending to the ordeal. What bird were you flying? Best of luck finding a resolve - will interesting to see what the more technical guys have to say.

Maybe try go into settings-apps-litchi and force stop, and then try DJI app.
Also on auto take off, I found that flipping your S1 switch returns control.
Clever recovery,not sure I would have done a CSC at 20ft. Wonder what happens when low battery autoland kicks in.
Anyway, I think the S1 flipping is your answer.
Happy flying.

Of course! The S1 switch. I haven't flown for about a month and totally forgot about the S1 switch. Thats what I use to get out of a way point flight, I should have thought of that. I was to busy panicking. haha that's probably all it was. next time

These apps can't run if another app on the Phantom is running. They can interfere with each other. Best to start up with and use that one for the full flight . Definitely make sure its not running in the. Background when you start another app. Have seen simular issues.

Of course! The S1 switch. I haven't flown for about a month and totally forgot about the S1 switch. Thats what I use to get out of a way point flight, I should have thought of that. I was to busy panicking. haha that's probably all it was. next time
Yes it is easy after the event,we all panic when things go wrong. Need to keep flying, and keep our skill levels up. I still panic when a RTH occurs.

I'd of thought the RTH then fail safe would eventually cut in.

....I used the DJI ap, then the DJI Ultimate Flight ap, then the Litchi ap.....

You did all this app switching in flight?

Next time try running some SAP enterprise annual balance sheet customizations, whilst importing some large mysql files to excel.
Another good idea is to start a mail merge using your CRM database and try to send some lovely aerial uncompressed HDR photos to 300 recipients you just edited on the same fpv device while bird was in mid air....

Boy, were you lucky.....:)

haha no of course not.
I used different aps on different flights.
But thanks for all your helpful suggestions about doing work while flying.
Jheez.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20