I just almost got creamed by a helicopter!

ianwood said:
MonsieurAnon said:
To be fair to the real pilots sdtrojan, when their aircraft crash it's often a more serious affair than when ours do.

Yes, but that doesn't negate the issue of pilots doing stupid maneuvers well below 500ft AGL.

+1

I had a close call with Helicopter 3 weeks into flying my P2V+. I was at 200' Alt and the bird with the soul was at 150', we were at least 100' separation. I was flying an urban location predominately residential. Which I believed to have a minimum Altitude restriction for small air craft, 500' AGL. The hela was a small two seater, kind of a commuter type and size.

I was corrected by a member here that is a helicopter pilot, however I'm not one to just believe the first logical answer given. I did research the subject of who was in the wrong. Should the helicopter be flying under 500', no but it is allowed when requested. Medical, law enforcement, and military basically have no restriction to their level of flight.

Bottom line here, fwiw, is the air craft with the soul has the right of way no matter what. You, the RC pilot must give the right of way to the manned craft.

Just saw the same helicopter fly over my neighborhood just yesterday under 200' AGL. Wish I could read his ID number to report him.

question on that. What do big airports transmit that the Phantom picks up and warns you not to fly?

They dont transmit any thing to the phantom. The phantom just has a list of some of the more published airports and the suggested no fly zones and it just knows by the gps coordinates if its near on or not. .

It also dont have them all in there list either. I happen to live in an area that is supposed to be a no fly zone and it dont even come up in djis list or map. . Tho this no fly zone only apply to planes and no photography allowed over one spot that's a military installation with research labs and cannon manufacturing facility. Tho the odd thing is even tho its a restricted air space air planes and helos fly over and threw the area all the time.

J.James said:
Happyflier said:
A question on that. What do big airports transmit that the Phantom picks up and warns you not to fly?

They dont transmit any thing to the phantom. The phantom just has a list of some of the more published airports and the suggested no fly zones and it just knows by the gps coordinates if its near on or not. . ......
That sounds reasonable, thanks.

Just saw the same helicopter fly over my neighborhood just yesterday under 200' AGL. Wish I could read his ID number to report him.
Keep a camera handy with a telephoto lens on it! A photograph is worth a 1000 words, and helps with reading!:D

Keep a camera handy with a telephoto lens on it! A photograph is worth a 1000 words, and helps with reading!:D
You do realize that helicopters may fly down to the surface if they can do it safely? The 500 ft minimum in 14 CFR §91.119 'Minimum safe altitudes' applies generally to airplanes.

The same applies to fixed-wing aircraft towing banners over the beach, but they have to obtain a COA from the nearest FSDO to fly legally below 500 ft.

Also, the human eye is the absolutely worst instrument for determining height and distance.

Reactions: Brad Pierce
You do realize that helicopters may fly down to the surface if they can do it safely? The 500 ft minimum in 14 CFR §91.119 'Minimum safe altitudes' applies generally to airplanes.

The same applies to fixed-wing aircraft towing banners over the beach, but they have to obtain a COA from the nearest FSDO to fly legally below 500 ft.

Also, the human eye is the absolutely worst instrument for determining height and distance.
Once again, we agree on all accounts!:cool:
I've used my laser rangefinder on helicopters flying over the golf course, and they are well over 500 yards when everyone thinks they are 250 feet overhead. The '"Moon Illusion" also corroborates that objects appear larger and closer than they really are.

I just like knowing I can give the tail number when I call PD Air Support to complain about their helicopter unnecessarily buzzing directly over our house, after Dispatch claims their bird isn't even in the air! :p Really?

Once again, we agree on all accounts!:cool:
I've used my laser rangefinder on helicopters flying over the golf course, and they are well over 500 yards when everyone thinks they are 250 feet overhead. The '"Moon Illusion" also corroborates that objects appear larger and closer than they really are.

I just like knowing I can give the tail number when I call PD Air Support to complain about their helicopter unnecessarily buzzing directly over our house, after Dispatch claims their bird isn't even in the air! :p Really?
you have mentioned the Laser Rangefinder before. I am surprised at the range - are they expensive? Could I use one to verify my flight altitude?

you have mentioned the Laser Rangefinder before. I am surprised at the range - are they expensive? Could I use one to verify my flight altitude?
They range in price from $100 for discontinued cheap ones to $500 for more powerful ones that can pick out a flag at 500 yards. I have a Bushnell 1000 which will reach a helicopter at less than 1000 yards, and any flag you can see on the golf course. As far as veriflying your flight altitude, not sure if you mean from a real plane to the ground, or from you on the ground to your bird directly above you. The former for sure, and the latter certainly to 500 feet! :D The target size and color determines the reflectivity, with darker colors slightly harder to pick up. Mine also has a 6x magnification to make placing the beam over the target easier. Cost about $400 over 5 years ago. Powered by a 9v battery. Here's a link to it.
Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Laser Range Finder 201000
Specifications of Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Range Finder 20-1000:

Magnification: 6x
Type: Class I Eye-safe
Size (in / mm): 2-1/4x5x4-3/4; 57x127x121
Weight (oz / g): 13.5/383
Battery type: 9 Volt
Great for: Varmint Hunting, Boating, Golf
Flag: 20-350 yards
Reflective: 20-1500 yards
Tree: 20-1000 yards
Deer: 20-500 yards

Last edited:
They range in price from $100 for discontinued cheap ones to $500 for more powerful ones that can pick out a flag at 500 yards. I have a Bushnell 1000 which will reach a helicopter at less than 1000 yards, and any flag you can see on the golf course. As far as veriflying your flight altitude, not sure if you mean from a real plane to the ground, or from you on the ground to your bird directly above you. The former for sure, and the latter certainly to 500 feet! :D The target size and color determines the reflectivity, with darker colors slightly harder to pick up. Mine also has a 6x magnification to make placing the beam over the target easier. Cost about $400 over 5 years ago. Powered by a 9v battery.

Now I know why you're the "gadgetguy"
Cool stuff.

Now I know why you're the "gadgetguy"
Cool stuff.
:cool:
image.jpeg

Never had a dispute about which ball was mine! :D

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    14.4 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Reactions: SteveMann
Aiming a laser at a helicopter is not acceptable in any circumstance. Potential distraction of, or damage to the retina of the pilot could put lives at risk.

Last edited:
Aiming a laser at a helicopter is not acceptable in any circumstance. Potential distraction of, or damage to the retina of the pilot could put lives at risk.
You should read before you lecture.
Allow me to save you further embarassment...:rolleyes:

Are the range finders eye safe?
A.
Absolutely, both the Yardage Pro 400 and 800 and 1000 are well within the eye safety limits established by the FDA for Class I laser products. In fact, Bushnell considers eye safety so important that we test laser output power with the largest aperture (50mm) allowed by the FDA. Some laser manufacturers use a 7mm aperture to test the output power. Obviously, if the transmitter aperture is bigger than 7mm, only a percentage of the output power is collected in the 7mm aperture. If Bushnell tested its laser products with a 7mm aperture, only about 3% of the total power would be collected. We are very concerned with public safety and test only with the most conservative methods. Bear in mind that the CFR regulation allows the 7mm testing, it is up to the individual manufacturer to determine how safe his device will be. The testing with the 50 mm aperture allows the use of focusing optics around the range finder without fear of eye safety.

Wow, someone better tell the FAA. They are experimenting with laser-based taxiway guidance systems for use in zero visibility conditions. Also, better stop installing HUD systems that use a laser to create the image directly on the retina.

OK, enough ridicule at your expense, though it's fun.

Read the actual law:
18 U.S. Code § 39A - Aiming a laser pointer at an aircraft
(a)Offense.—
Whoever knowingly aims the beam of a laser pointer at an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States, or at the flight path of such an aircraft, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(b)Laser Pointer Defined.—
As used in this section, the term “laser pointer” means any device designed or used to amplify electromagnetic radiation by stimulated emission that emits a beam designed to be used by the operator as a pointer or highlighter to indicate, mark, or identify a specific position, place, item, or object.​

I don't think that a laser rangefinder would count as a laser pointer. Though I would rather the law define a power-output specification instead of the generic "laser pointer".

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Steve & Gadgetguy,

OK, some lasers will not damage the eye and some are even designed to be used for aviation purposes, got it. But an unexpected bright light from the ground could be an unwanted distraction to the pilot of the aircraft at a critical phase of flight. And this forum likely gets enough scrutiny and does not need to appear to be encouraging violations of 18 U.S. Code § 39A in any manner.

ps Early rangefinders used a wavelength of 694nm and could damage the retina

Last edited:
Steve & Gadgetguy,

OK, some lasers will not damage the eye and some are even designed to be used for aviation purposes, got it. But an unexpected bright light from the ground could be an unwanted distraction to the pilot of the aircraft at a critical phase of flight. And this forum likely gets enough scrutiny and does not need to appear to be encouraging violations of 18 U.S. Code § 39A in any manner.

ps Early rangefinders used a wavelength of 694nm and could damage the retina
You, alone, are the only one hijacking this thread with your fear mongering and hysteria, by confusing proper use of rangefinders of the current century with high powered laser pointers, due to a gross misunderstanding of the current rangefinder technology. The make and model of the device and its specifications were clearly provided, in case any confusion remained. Basing your false accusations upon early prototypes in the last century is what is really irresponsible. :eek:

Aircraft can fly as low as 500' AGL over sparsely populated area, lower if over water as long as not within 500' of any person, vessel, vehicle or structure. So I could essentially sit at Del Mar all day long with my video camera filming violators. "Real pilots" need to get off their high horses.

The helicopters in San Diego are insanely low, especially anywhere near the coast. Drives me insane.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31