I have to remove the GoPro and take out the battery to..,

Reaction score
....turn it on, at times.
I have:
Phantom 2
Zenmuse Gimbal
GoPro Hero3 + Black

Most times it works fine. But sometimes I can't get the GoPro to turn on unless I take the camera off the platform, open the back and take out the battery. I re-insert the battery and it is fine again. This can be a pretty big inconvenience in the field. I could be doing something wrong. Thank you, in advance, for your time and advice.

Re: I have to remove the GoPro and take out the battery to..

I did find a firmware update on the GoPro site. Apparently it came out March 6th. Maybe that will help.

Updating to the latest firmware seems to solve the problem. Also replacing the Ultra Sandisk with an Extreme can help for shooting 1080 60 fps.

You should also try to always turn the GoPro on before you turn on the phantom. If you turn it on after you power on the phantom it can cause it to freeze a lot of the time and then the only way to fix it is by taking the GoPro battery out.

http://www.dronefly.com/?Click=929

samob said:
You should also try to always turn the GoPro on before you turn on the phantom. If you turn it on after you power on the phantom it can cause it to freeze a lot of the time and then the only way to fix it is by taking the GoPro battery out.

http://www.dronefly.com/?Click=929

Great tip. Thank you.

Mine does this frequently. The battery also completely discharges itself after a couple of days when it switched off.
I've tried re-flashing it's firmware and all the tips I could find on the web. No joy.

Yup.

It seems to happen every nine or ten flights. The GoPro freezes and I have to remove and replace the battery to reset it.

I try to start the GoPro and hit record before turning on the Phantom 2 battery. The main reason for this is so that I don't disturb the Gimbal and have to shut down and start up again. But perhaps it also helps prevent GoPro freeze. I haven't reflashed my GoPros -- and I probably won't unless someone says it is a definitive fix.

I DO carry a 2mm hex so I can get the GoPro off the Zenmuse. And I worry about dropping one of those tiny screws, since it's unlikely I'd ever see it again.

The last time my GoPro froze, the red charging light stayed on, even after the Phantom 2 battery was shut down. Once it's frozen, even if the GoPro is "off," the battery seems to drain quickly. I try to remove a frozen GoPro immediately.

It's one of those bugs I've learned to live with.

I have had the same issue several times and found it best if I turn on the gopro3 first than power up my system,since I have been doing this I haven't had the problem hope this helps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers