I have had My Phantom 3 adv for a week. Unable to start motors manually. Any ideas ?

Reaction score
I have done everything I am aware off. Drone does fly when I use "auto take off " but I am unable to start the motors manually. Tried all the obvious things. I have even calibrated the remote control. Does anyone have any ideas, what to try ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Try calibrating the remote controller again. If that does not work, then please give us some more information:

- Which stick mode are you using in the "RC Settings" section of the DJI GO app?
- How are you attempting to start the motors?
- Are you waiting until the DJI GO app shows "Safe to fly" at the top, center?

I have tried re calibrating the remote control. But I am not sure it worked. I tried to follow dji tutorial video on this, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. At the beginning Video says to put sticks to centre before pressing start. I assumed they mean centre position that sticks return to. Could they mean point both to centre, ie right stick to left & left stick to right ?
I did the former as I expected. Then the gimble dial calibration. When I pressed " finish" It didn't say anything about being successful. Nothing like done or finished. It just came up with " calibrate " again. Is this right ? I am definitely in stick mode 2 in dji go app. I attempt to start motors by simultaneously pulling left stick to bottom right corner, ( if there were one) and right stick to bottom left corner.
I have also tried sticks simultaneously to top outer corners ( if You get your drift) neither works.
Also I do wait for " safe to fly "
Thanks for Your kind Help.

I tried to follow dji tutorial video on this, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
Do it exactly like the video below. Ignore the instructions you see in the DJI GO app and just do what you see in the video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
That is the Video I followed. Twice in this Video it says to move the sticks as shown in app, then turn gimble as shown in app. But it doesn't say what to do in the app. I just followed what this Video says to do.
Should I have Wi Fi or 3G turned on, on Phone ?

I just tried again with 3G. Still no result. I am confused when it says: " Please move stick to centre position and tap the start button".
Which stick ? Should that not be both sticks. And they are already in the centre position. That's where they start. This makes no sense. Or is it just Me ?

I just tried again with 3G.
You should only do what's in the video. Ignore 3G, Wi-Fi, notifications in the DJI GO app, etc. Simply do what's in the video. Nothing more.

I am confused when it says: " Please move stick to centre position and tap the start button".
You should not touch the sticks until after starting the calibration. Again, do it exactly as shown in the video.

Do a CSC with the engines stopped works for me. Engines start but not fast enough to generate lift.

Thanks for Your efforts. I only did what was in the Video, though some ice it isn't clear.
It didn't work. But Video is confusing when it says move stick to centre position and press start. Which stick ? It doesn't say, and both sticks are already in the centre position.
I noticed at the end of this Vid, I can just about see " done " where My says again " calibrate "
I really appreciate Your Help. I think I have a dud one. Will probably have to take it back for a refund. Gutted !
Thank You for Your patient help.

start r/c.
start app (dont touch the sticks. leave them alone).
start the calibration.
move both sticks in all directions (full range) several times.
move gimble wheel several times.
click finnish.

Last edited:
Center position means zero input. Both sticks at zero input.. hover to a safe height and depending on your control style rotate 360 both ways. Do not begin reverse rotation until you are told to do so. I usually don't need to complete an entire rotation for it to do so. I calibrate very rarely despite what the instructions say because I am not confident of the structures buried under my subdivision. Even if the compass is odd I will fly straight up and hover high and it usually sorts itself out before moving laterally. Helps with my flyaway anxiety.

But Video is confusing when it says move stick to centre position and press start. Which stick ? It doesn't say, and both sticks are already in the centre position.
Right. So, don't touch either stick before clicking "Start" in the DJI GO app to start the calibration process.

I noticed at the end of this Vid, I can just about see " done " where My says again " calibrate "
Can you record a video of you doing this and post it here?

Center position means zero input. Both sticks at zero input.. hover to a safe height and depending on your control style rotate 360 both ways. Do not begin reverse rotation until you are told to do so. I usually don't need to complete an entire rotation for it to do so. I calibrate very rarely despite what the instructions say because I am not confident of the structures buried under my subdivision. Even if the compass is odd I will fly straight up and hover high and it usually sorts itself out before moving laterally. Helps with my flyaway anxiety.
Hes referring to r/c calibration. Not compass calibration...

I have recorded a Vid of Me attempting rc calibration. Not sure how to attach here ? Ah found it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
a57ed506e1e399fbe4c4918a42cacf31.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thank You ! Everybody for Your Help. Somebody mentioned CSC, what is that ? Do You think I am doing this as the Video says ?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

What you're doing looks fine. A CSC starts/stops the motors.

OK ! Thanks. I'm going to get in touch with customer support. I've spent hrs talking to them already about other issues.
If I get a result I'll let You know. Thanks for Heads up on CSC.

OK ! Thanks. I'm going to get in touch with customer support. I've spent hrs talking to them already about other issues.
If I get a result I'll let You know. Thanks for Heads up on CSC.

To start up your motors....
Pull both sticks down (keep them both down and left stick to right and right stick to left). Motors will start. Let the sticks return to center. Push left stick up and hold. (Up she goes).

DONT DO THIS IN FLIGHT....

To stop motors...
Hold left stick down for a few seconds after landing...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers