I have another crazy idea!

Reaction score
Ok, so as most of you know, when you plug your battery up to your phantom, you get a nice little startup sound that comes from the motors. I was just wondering if it was possible to give it a custom startup sound or even better, if you could play music with them as you fly?

kitari said:
Ok, so as most of you know, when you plug your battery up to your phantom, you get a nice little startup sound that comes from the motors. I was just wondering if it was possible to give it a custom startup sound or even better, if you could play music with them as you fly?

Yes and No!

The start up sound you hear is generated by the esc's and comes from the bell housing of the motors being driven at low frequency.
It is possible to have your own custom sound/tune but you would need to get into the firmware of the esc's and rewrite this section of the code.

It is not possible to have a tune play whilst flying as the esc's need to be synchronized with the motors and be able to accelerate and decelerate very rapidly. Any additional low frequency signal would not be possible to 'play' whilst the motors were receiving their rotational pulses.

I remember reading about a guy who installed micro speakers and an iPad Nano on his quad to play music and/or sound effects.
You can google "RC sound effects" and find several sources for sound effects to be added to RC planes - could be adapted to drones.
But if you are wanting the ESCs to play music, not going to happen.

The Editor said:
kitari said:

Yes and No!

The start up sound you hear is generated by the esc's and comes from the bell housing of the motors being driven at low frequency.
It is possible to have your own custom sound/tune but you would need to get into the firmware of the esc's and rewrite this section of the code.

It is not possible to have a tune play whilst flying as the esc's need to be synchronized with the motors and be able to accelerate and decelerate very rapidly. Any additional low frequency signal would not be possible to 'play' whilst the motors were receiving their rotational pulses.

Awesome! So now I just have to figure out a way to change the startup sound to the star wars theme song, and then I can get my wife to paint Chewbacca on the shell and sell it to a star wars fan for double the price! :twisted:

(just kidding... maybe...)

The crazy part here is that my motors are speakers!!!

I actually detest the start-up noise on the Phantom. HATE it. I am embarrassed to turn it on around other people...sounds like a children's toy "powering up".

BuzzBuzzZoomZoom said:
I actually detest the start-up noise on the Phantom. HATE it. I am embarrassed to turn it on around other people...sounds like a children's toy "powering up".

THIS^

It's so **** loud too when indoors. Drives me nuts!

BuzzBuzzZoomZoom said:
Really?
Just tell people it is a warning for them to stand back for take off.
:roll:

You aren't alone! I have been thinking about a micro recorder, a micro amplifier (have both) and a speaker.

I know what I want to play, I just can't remember it! So, help me!

It is a Vietnam movie. There were a bunch of helicopters flying over the ocean towards the beach. The helis had huge speakers and they were playing loud and neat music! NAME THAT TUNE!

You're thinking of "Flight of the Valkyrie" from Apocalypse Now.

Would be badass.

You win the prize! Yep, that would be neat! That was a strange movie, but I liked that part. Imagine everyone looking up at the little speck wondering what in the heck it is! I've got to get that song!

Bop bob-bob bahhh bumm... bop bob-bob bahhh bumm...
****.. you've got that going in my head now

The Editor said:
The start up sound you hear is generated by the esc's and comes from the bell housing of the motors being driven at low frequency..

What do u mean with this?[/quote]

Narrator said:
Bop bob-bob bahhh bumm... bop bob-bob bahhh bumm...
****.. you've got that going in my head now

My apologies! Now, I wonder if iTunes has it...

Eltrochaphantom said:
The Editor said:
The start up sound you hear is generated by the esc's and comes from the bell housing of the motors being driven at low frequency..
What do u mean with this?
He means that the ESC is sending signals to the motor to make it vibrate back and forth at audio frequencies just like a speaker.

So basically the motor is a "speaker" in some way. Sorry for my ignorance but u don't see the vibrations do u?

Eltrochaphantom said:
So basically the motor is a "speaker" in some way. Sorry for my ignorance but u don't see the vibrations do u?
I was so surprised when I first read this I went and powered mine up and if you hold on to a motor you can feel the vibs. :shock:

Nope, the vibrations are too fine and too fast to see. You don't normally see the driver of a regular speaker moving either, unless it's a woofer playing loud bass.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20