I have a new p2, how do I learn to trust it?

jason said:
I seem to recall your have problems (lake_flyer) and **** near losing your unit to that big lake in another thread. Also your comments regarding the flight characteristics of the 9" props are truly unfounded.

edit - see next.

jason said:
I seem to recall your have problems (lake_flyer) and **** near losing your unit to that big lake in another thread.

The only time I nearly lost my Phantom (FC40) over the lake was when a battery connection failed, had nothing to do with props, and it was only my second flight after I got it. I really don't have a clue why you bring that up. Unless you're the typical political kind.
Would you care to explain?

Also your comments regarding the flight characteristics of the 9" props are truly unfounded.

ehhhh......DJI has released the new 9450 thrust boosters just for fun right?
You obviously are a fan of the old 9" props. Be happy with it.

VRS is the problem caused by the old original 9"s and it is caused by nothing else (and it's supposedly getting much worse with prop guards). You probably don't know how to recognise VRS (as a lot of people probably) even though almost everybody has encountered it more or less. I notice my Phantom 2 suddenly drop for a few feet every now and then which is purely VRS. I'm not going to explain, there are zillions of threads here and elsewhere about that.
Do a search, you're good at that I see.

lake_flyer said:
...VRS is the problem caused by the old original 9"s and it is caused by nothing else...
l know what you are trying to say here, however just for clarity sake for anyone else listening in on this thread... there ARE other causes of VRS not just the original 9" props as you say. Personally I don't think they are the 'cause' of VRS at all. If one flys out of the parameters of whatever props you use, coupled with the accompanying piloting error you can induce VRS even with the new props. They are not a failsafe against VRS. Having said that the new 9450's reduce the possibility of inducing VRS compared with the original props under the same conditions.

IrishSights said:
lake_flyer said:
...VRS is the problem caused by the old original 9"s and it is caused by nothing else...
l know what you are trying to say here, however just for clarity sake for anyone else listening in on this thread... there ARE other causes of VRS not just the original 9" props as you say. Personally I don't think they are the 'cause' of VRS at all. If one flys out of the parameters of whatever props you use, coupled with the accompanying piloting error you can induce VRS even with the new props. They are not a failsafe against VRS. Having said that the new 9450's reduce the possibility of inducing VRS compared with the original props under the same conditions.

Yes, true, I totally agree VRS is just part of nature, in fact there's always a vortex flow below any prop. A Vortex Ring State is induced either by the pilot who descending too fast in it's own prop induced turbulence or a sudden pressure drop below (or raise above) the blades for whatever reason.

However, I never heard of a VRS crash with a standard FC40 or P1 (but it still is possible). The shape of the original 8" P1 prop is the classical propellor shape giving the best possible flight characteristics. The P2(V+) props however are designed to give more trust and flight time and that's where the problem started. They move a lot more air (downwards) then a standard shaped prop. But that comes at a price. The extreme flexibility of the blades iron away most of the turbulence but is waisting the energy that's needed when descending in a downward vortex flow. That's why stiffer props like carbon or wood suffer less from VRS, however they pass through more turbulence and vibration. Like tireless wheels under a car. And that's what DJI wanted to eliminate for their P2 V(+) camera equipped quads. So any prop design is a matter of compromise and designed for a certain application.

Have you ever had the chance to fly a stock P1 or a FC40? You will be amazed how well balanced and forgiving they fly. Most people flying these with stock props never had any VRS trouble no matter how they tried (me included). The problem however is that as soon as you add weight, like a Gopro + Gimbal, they become a bit sluggish and inert with the 8", they still fly great but stopping is slow in GPS mode, they tend to move on a couple of meters after releasing the throttle stick. Feels a bit like Atti mode. So most people immediately put on the 9" props and guess what? VRS trouble starts to act up and at first they don't understand what's happening.

Just have a look at the FC40 or P1 forum, you'll know what I mean. For me the P2 was a little bit disappointing coming from a FC40 (basically a P1), as far as flight characteristics concerns. And that is only to blame on the props. As soon as you put on 8" on a P2 it flies like a P1 with some extra payload.

DJI probably tried to come up with the best possible solution for the heavier camera and gimbal equipped P2 V series, providing a prop with better thrust and mileage and less vibration. They needed to keep the competition at a distance. However, they (Colin) admitted at the time that the props reduced much of the 'flight agility' compared to the original P1. The new 9450 prop seems to solve the problems the original 9" had, at least I haven't seen any negative stories about them yet.

I am sincerely trying to share my experiences with both P1 and P2. And sure I'm biased towards classical blades. I am not saying the original 9"s are bad but they don't serve the application of some flyers who want agility in flight and not have to wait minutes for a descend just to keep it safe. A max descend of 2m/s is not acceptable and not safe in the first place. With the FC40 the max descend is 6m/s, maybe even higher. That feels good when flying at 300m high with a huge cumulonimbus up your tail or when you need to drop altitude rapidly because of low battery or low flying air traffic suddenly appearing.

Deleted

Morgan2Melman said:
If you own a wifi signal,will you share it with your neighbor?
I suggest you start a new thread, its way off topic.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic