I hate my Phantom 3 Pro

cbc37b3eb16754c9b93dfef58c5a17ca.jpg

Show me a RTF quad that can do this straight out of the box.
Hoping to get that far away but haven't got to it yet. Frightens me a bit haha. Only had mine for about 3 weeks now so I still have time to work my way up!

I would buy a used iPad mini for cheaper, I think that would solve your problems. And so you could keep your new phone.

If anyone thinks that all the Phantom 3's that have come off the assembly line have exactly the same hardware, they are sadly mistaken.
As a manufacturing engineer for many years, I can tell you that several different revisions of hardware have made it into production. These include everything from integrated circuits to memory chips, GPS chips to ESC components. A manufacturer must have second and third sources for components because not all components are available at all times. Component manufacturers are constantly updating their products, sometimes they tell you about it, other times not.
Even a simple component revision, that is not supposed to effect form fit or function, may not play well with existing hardware/software.

That is more likely that reason some of us have issues using DJi supported devices, and others do not. Although unknowncaller's LG device is non-supported, it is still plenty capable of running the app.

Do you have any evidence to support this? As far as I know the controller went through a rev change. I know of none with the Phantom itself. Such comments are really not a good idea unless there is some anecdotal evidence to support them.

By not having any GPS data to process, seems to have caused the video from the bird to smooth out. My guess is that the processor or other component on the P3 gets overwhelmed processing GPS data and diverts priorities from video processing and other lower priority tasks.

This would be incorrect. Video and GPS are processed in two totally different systems. Video processing is handled entirely by the Lightbridge sub-system. The flight controller doesn't care about video.

The big problem here is not what is happening on the P3. It's the device. Certain devices are getting overloaded. DJI needs to make their app more efficient. In the meantime, I would suggest getting yourself an HDMI board and a portable screen. The app then only shows a map and controls the settings which lifts much of the burden.

Tampa Florida isn't exactly habitable by humans in the summer.....
Really. I once saw a map showing what parts of the USA were not habitable (without A/C) and much of Florida was in there. Humans can hardly survive there. We don't call The Lord out because we need A/C in Florida. And it's silly to blame any piece of electronics for slowing down or going into shutdown for excess temperature.

Heck, my iphone 5 turned off the other day in New England - from too much heat! I was running a simple GPS application (no quadcopter).

It's just silly to talk about needing $800 for an iphone. I started with a $30 (bestbuy special) and graduated to a Nexus 7 2013 refurb for $99. If I really cared about the best FPV I'd get a refurb mini or something like that for about $250.

Having a cooling device of sorts in Tampa and/or the desert climes is a good idea...and, no, it's not because DJI didn't design it right. You can buy special higher temp android devices for big bucks....if you want mil-spec. The rest of us call it a hobby and we make things work when possible.

But, yeah, we have a place in the Tampa area and it's not fit for man or beast at this time of year.

Reactions: III% Streve
Tampa Florida isn't exactly habitable by humans in the summer.....
Really. I once saw a map showing what parts of the USA were not habitable (without A/C) and much of Florida was in there. Humans can hardly survive there. We don't call The Lord out because we need A/C in Florida. And it's silly to blame any piece of electronics for slowing down or going into shutdown for excess temperature.

Heck, my iphone 5 turned off the other day in New England - from too much heat! I was running a simple GPS application (no quadcopter).

It's just silly to talk about needing $800 for an iphone. I started with a $30 (bestbuy special) and graduated to a Nexus 7 2013 refurb for $99. If I really cared about the best FPV I'd get a refurb mini or something like that for about $250.

Having a cooling device of sorts in Tampa and/or the desert climes is a good idea...and, no, it's not because DJI didn't design it right. You can buy special higher temp android devices for big bucks....if you want mil-spec. The rest of us call it a hobby and we make things work when possible.

But, yeah, we have a place in the Tampa area and it's not fit for man or beast at this time of year.
Sit in the vehicle with the ac going full blast and have a good time--- I get 2000 feet with LOS on mine sitting in the pickup with the ac on and the ipad never heats up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1