I had no idea that the phantom could do backflips

yea in Full Manual mode. I'll never touch it but guys that can fly that way sure can do some cool stuff

yep, in manual mode, the phantom can do front flips, backflips, barrel rolls, or any type of flip because the tilt angle is at 100%, so if you hold that right stick back, it'll keep tilting until you get a backflip or whatever it is you'd like to do. Also seen people flying sideways, using the thrust normally used to lift the phantom to go forward while using the right stick for sharp turns. I'm still trying to figure that one out though.

Hours and hours and hours and...........of practice. I would bet he dreams flying in his sleep.
When expert pilots just do fast flybys and loops and flips, it gets boring. But his stunts I could watch for a long time.

QYV said:
yea in Full Manual mode. I'll never touch it but guys that can fly that way sure can do some cool stuff

Never say never.

On a calm day, just get some altitude and flick S1.

It's not going to take off erratically, and safety is just an S1 'flick' away. ;)

aristosv said:
Any instructions on how to do backflips?

yep

step 1: activate manual mode in naza m
step 2: get some good altitude to do the backflip (about 30-40 meters maybe) to allow for the drop in altitude and correction.
step 3: flip into manual mode
step 4: left stick remains centered, right stick goes all the way down and is held until you complete the flip and then level out or go back into gps mode.

protip: if things go bad, flip back to gps to level out again.

I knew it could do a backflip. I just wasn't aware it could recover from one... :D

-slinger

kitari said:
aristosv said:
Any instructions on how to do backflips?

yep

step 1: activate manual mode in naza m
step 2: get some good altitude to do the backflip (about 30-40 meters maybe) to allow for the drop in altitude and correction.
step 3: flip into manual mode
step 4: left stick remains centered, right stick goes all the way down and is held until you complete the flip and then level out or go back into gps mode.

protip: if things go bad, flip back to gps to level out again.
.....And when it plows into the ground and explodes into 1,000 bits and pieces, then ask yourself, "Why in hell did I ever use manual mode?"

This reminds me of the switch to Naza Mode for some...lot's of speculation about how dangerous or perilous it is.

My guess is those speaking the most fearful haven't even tried it.

This is not a dis, dig, or otherwise meant to be pejorative, just speculation.

I've been on naza mode since day one. No differece at all. you just have more option in the assistant software. if you have all the failsafe features enabled, you're good.

That's my point.

Sure manual mode is dangerous if you will, but if you try it under proper conditions you'll see that the a/c will not just dive uncontrollably to earth once you flick S1.

I understand some are here as pilots and enthusiast and others are just 'in it' for the camera so please don't think I'm judging anyone personally.

N017RW said:
That's my point.

Sure manual mode is dangerous if you will, but if you try it under proper conditions you'll see that the a/c will not just dive uncontrollably to earth once you flick S1.

I understand some are here as pilots and enthusiast and others are just 'in it' for the camera so please don't think I'm judging anyone personally.
Not at all. I have tried manual mode and found it something for someone else to use. I commend those that have mastered it, but know it is not for me. I fall into the camera and nice picture gang and am not interested in flips or loops. A nice smooth rotation around an object makes a great video and works great for me.

This has got to be the best flying I have ever witnessed, I'm sure DJI would buy this video. What a great pilot you are! I could only wish to fly one tenth of the experience you have, of course at 76 years old I really enjoy just keeping the copter and all around safe.

aristosv said:
wait, so in manual mode, all i have to do is go backwards? and it will backflip?

You better be on the throttle at the right time too, or have a lot of altitude! In manual if you let the right stick sit at center the quad will drop like a rock, you need to be at about 3/4 throttle just to hover. Also the best way to do a backflip is to have some forward speed going, when you do some of the forward speed will translate into a little bit of lift once you pull back on the elevator.

samd012 said:
In manual if you let the right stick sit at center the quad will drop like a rock, you need to be at about 3/4 throttle just to hover.

Whoa! I'm confused... the throttle is left stick, no? Why does it drop with right stick at center?

Also the best way to do a backflip is to have some forward speed going, when you do some of the forward speed will translate into a little bit of lift once you pull back on the elevator.

That sentence completely lost me. My brain just went into RTH mode :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20