I got an idea

Reaction score
So, with regards to flying the Phantom platform in POV with iOSD, I was thinking.......the phantom has onboard GPS right? so, it always knows its co-ordinates of where it is, I read on all these forums that its a problem finding your aircraft in the case of a crash or flyaway, because you have no idea where it crashed, If you are flying FPV, in most cases you have a general idea of where to start looking based on the landmarks from the video feed, but I was wondering why DJI can't display the current GPS location on the screen through the iOSD, maybe update itself every 2 seconds or something, so that if you are flying FPV, and you crash, and you had the video feed recorded to a DVR at least you can view the footage and have a real good idea of where your aircraft has crashed. The iOSD mini is constantly getting info from the Brain of the Phantom,why cant that update the iOSD mini to display GPS? sounds like a no-brainer to me, and would help out a lot of people to find their aircraft

It's been discussed numerous times the lack of GPS coordinates in the OSD. Many other OSDs offer the option. There may be an option for a DIY OSD as has been done for other flight controllers.

RockyMtnOutdoors said:
yes, thats what I'm talking about. Why doesnt DJI do this? Do they want happy customers? or are we just supposed to but a new Pahntom in the event of a lost aircraft?

Buy a new Phantom.

Not sure this addresses the issue, but in the DJI App, there is an option in "Settings" that marks and maps the last
GPS coordinates stored by the Phantom. After my P2V had sat in storage all winter, I was surprised to check that and be reminded....with a Google map, that I had last landed it in the backyard of my niece's home!!

This feature is located in "Settings", scroll down to "Find My PHANTOM 2 VISION"...

RockyMtnOutdoors said:
yes, thats what I'm talking about. Why doesnt DJI do this? Do they want happy customers? or are we just supposed to but a new Pahntom in the event of a lost aircraft?

Don't get us started on what we would do differently if we ran DJI...
The lack of GPS coords in iOSD Mini is one of many instances of "Why would you NOT do this???"
An open archarchitecture would grow their business quickly, and build in barriers to competitors as it gained momentum.

Kelly

I think DJI does not offer this feature, simply to keep costs down, they now have a ton of quad manufacturers competing for top sales. Adding this feature (which most recreational flyers would not understand or use) would place the Phantom in a higher purchase price bracket, and sales would drop. It would be a nice option, I would pay extra for it, but the majority of the consumers would buy the cheaper brand. Just my 2 cents worth.

If you have an iOSD and DVR already running, you can use the distance, height and Azimuth readings from the iOSD to do essentially the same thing...a lot of us would like absolute GPS coordinates reported by the iOSD, but I do think the actual usefulness of the feature beyond the telemetry made available today would be somewhat limited. You'd first have to be recording your video signal; in a regular crash, you'll probably have a good idea where the Phantom is; in a flyaway you'll probably lose vtx signal well before it touches down.

Maybe someone can make an app that lets you input your homepoint, distance and az, and it displays the GPS position on Google maps....

OI Photography said:
ElGuano said:
Maybe someone can make an app that lets you input your homepoint, distance and az, and it displays the GPS position on Google maps....

pleaseandthankyou

That's like a 1/2 hour project for iPhone, maybe I'll roll something out....but I'm thinking the guy who has recorded his FPV crash could be better off just starting the compass app and counting paces from home lock position. I guess he'd need to deal with declination though....

Not surprised DJI doesn't offer that feature on their OSD. I asked them about having an option to change from metric to imperial for those of us in the USA and they basically told me to go pound sand. I'm becoming less and less of a DJI fan even though I really like my P2.

ElGuano said:
OI Photography said:
ElGuano said:

pleaseandthankyou

That's like a 1/2 hour project for iPhone, maybe I'll roll something out....but I'm thinking the guy who has recorded his FPV crash could be better off just starting the compass app and counting paces from home lock position. I guess he'd need to deal with declination though....

Good point...I just get all excited about redundancy with things like that :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers