I got a drifter

Reaction score
Got a new P3P a few days ago and today felt like a good day to fly it. Wind picked up around 5-15mph.

Stayed under 50ft but the whole time the drone felt to be drifting and felt the wind was moving it too much.

I know it's windy but is it normal for the p3p to be drifting/dancing around its original location. Is there a setting to adjust to make it a bit more firm while in the air?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Likely you just need to get familiar with how the phantom performs, they dance around fighting wind (especially gusty conditions) and it is most obvious when trying to hold position in hover and P mode.

Stick to calmer conditions initially.

Reactions: mcphipps
Even at 50 feet, the wind is different that at ground zero where you are. It seems the higher you go the stronger it will get because of the reduced restrictions to the wind flow.
Man, I almost sounded like I knew what I was talking about...LOL
Seriously, It's like that where I live. It seems OK at ground level but when I get up in the air she will want to go on me. Phantom does a good job of holding position but the wind can try your nerves at times.

Even at 50 feet, the wind is different that at ground zero where you are. It seems the higher you go the stronger it will get because of the reduced restrictions to the wind flow.
Man, I almost sounded like I knew what I was talking about...LOL
Seriously, It's like that where I live. It seems OK at ground level but when I get up in the air she will want to go on me. Phantom does a good job of holding position but the wind can try your nerves at times.
Some firmware versions have drifting issues. I have had that happen and can even prove it in the app that shows the movement of the stick vs the movement of the P3.

Some firmware versions have drifting issues. I have had that happen and can even prove it in the app that shows the movement of the stick vs the movement of the P3.
Yes, I have read that in various threads. This is more my own experience that I was trying to pass on as another avenue to explore. I am sure there is many reasons for this to happen. It will be just a matter of finding which one it is so it can be corrected if possible.
I guess all input would be welcome for the OP. Thanks.

Got a new P3P a few days ago and today felt like a good day to fly it. Wind picked up around 5-15mph.

Stayed under 50ft but the whole time the drone felt to be drifting and felt the wind was moving it too much.

I know it's windy but is it normal for the p3p to be drifting/dancing around its original location. Is there a setting to adjust to make it a bit more firm while in the air?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Are you talking about drifting while your off the sticks in a hover of drifting when you are moving?

In a hover the Phantoms will drift a little, GPS is only so accurate.

In flight, actual movement, your on the sticks, the Phantoms will drift with the wind in all flight modes. There is no position lock during movement. P-GPS is the same as ATTI is the same as Speed Mode (P4) in this regard while you are moving. It's normal and by design.

"Drifting/dancing around original location" suggests in a hover (hands off sticks). It was the op's maiden flight. It was windy. Seems to be expected behaviour with the OP having no point of reference.

A flight in less wind will determine if this was the case.

Reactions: N017RW

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1