I found a new way to screw up......Could I have saved it?

Reaction score
Today I took my Vision+ to a different area on my property. I have 10 acres and it is mostly treed with pretty large oaks. I had found a clear spot about 200 yards from where I normally fly that seems to have good sat signal too. I "did the dance" to calibrate the compass and took off. I got good GPS lock right away and was feeling pretty good. When the battery indicator on my cell phone showed about 25% left I brought it down to about 10 ft. and decided to "walk it back" to my shop under the tree canopy. I figured this was good practice and it let me run my battery down a little farther. Every thing went well, I was right in front of my shop about 2 ft off the ground,getting ready to land when much to my horror it started to rise. I pulled down on the stick and it ignored me. I suddenly found I had absolutely no control. In a panic I glanced at my cell screen and saw the message "going home". There was no way it was going to get above the trees on what battery it had left and to make matters worse it was drifting into one as I watched. I admit it, I panicked, the worst thing to do. I tried to head it toward my lawn but when that failed I pulled both levers to the down and middle to stop the climb. It dropped like a rock and landed on a large metal object behind my fence. A very expensive sound. Well as you would expect,it broke the gimbal off at one of the motors and ripped the lead connector in two. It also broke the prop guards, but that is of no concern. I guess it could have been worse.

Now I know it was a mistake to travel it away from where it thought was home. But I am puzzled why it didn't just land. It has done the auto land before when I was in an open field and testing how it would react to a low battery. It is as though something changed in my settings, and not by me. Is there anything I could have done to save this flight? I am still new at this and it seems like I am going to make every mistake until I learn them all. I don't blame the drone, but it does worry me that it acted differently than in prior flights. :cry:

Re: I found a new way to screw up......Could I have saved it

I believe on a low battery it will ascend to about 60 feet and then fly home unless you cancel the RTH from the app (it gives you a 10 second warning). If you would have placed switch S1 into ATTI and then back to GPS, I think you would have stopped the Return to Home.

That really sucks and I am sorry for your crash. You could have saved this simply by flipping S1 to the middle position. This would have canceled the RTH and allowed you to land the aircraft where it was. :(

PB7424 has it in a nutshell.
It is critical that pilots understand how the go home operates and how the low battery auto go home will affect them if it is initiated. The Phantom didn't just land because it was acting according to its programming. It doesn't know whether it has solid ground or deep water below, so has been programmed to go back to the known safety of its home point (after rising to 20 metres above home elevation). But if there are obstacles like trees between it and 20 metres above home it could all end badly.
So don't put your Phantom in a situation where it wants to fly through obstacles.
Consider switching off Low Battery Auto Go Home in the app
When auto go home puts your bird in danger, flick S1 down and back to get control back.

But it would also be great to have the option to raise the minimum height for RTH. It's stupid that it's limited to 20m.. 50-60m would be safer.

chagalj said:
But it would also be great to have the option to raise the minimum height for RTH. It's stupid that it's limited to 20m.. 50-60m would be safer.

That's easy ... you have the option on any flight to reset your home point.
DJI can't program every possible scenario into the Phantom. You have to do some customising.
If you have trees that could be between home and where you may be flying, take off, ascend to a safe point above you and higher than the trees and reset home there. Then any return will ascend to the new home altitude + 20 metres before it comes back.

Hotrod said:
Today I took my Vision+ to a different area on my property. .. I "did the dance" to calibrate the compass and took off.

There's really no need to calibrate when you are still on the same property.
In fact there's probably no need if you are within 100 miles (and lots more under some conditions).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20