I Flew over the Rose Parade - crazy view

Shrimpfarmer said:
eckoner said:
We'll I think it's a pretty cool video but it seems we are all supposed to critique the details of the video but I don't have time for that crap

Happy new year and stop the "hate" friggin haters

Its never a good idea to share your stuff if your sensitive to feedback. I didn't see any hate in any of the replies.

I did'nt see any haters either. I still wan't to learn tilt shift effect.

len750 said:

I use final cut pro for editing, and like I said, I used an after effects plug-in for the tilt shift - but it could probably be recreated in Vegas.

Basically you need to stack two versions of your video - the bottom layer would get a blur effect.
The top layer would be cropped top and bottom with a feather effect to blend into the bottom layer's blur

JoeC said:
len750 said:

I use final cut pro for editing, and like I said, I used an after effects plug-in for the tilt shift - but it could probably be recreated in Vegas.

Basically you need to stack two versions of your video - the bottom layer would get a blur effect.
The top layer would be cropped top and bottom with a feather effect to blend into the bottom layer's blur

Thank you. I'll try and keep trying.

I dig your Phantom Rose Parade Video, JoeC...
Great Editing and the Tilt-Shift effects made the parade floats look like miniature toys going by...
Way Cool!

I assume you are flying an Original Phantom (not Vision or Phantom 2)...
Did you use FPV equipment?
Are your Motors Stock and what Props did you use?
What Name and size Battery did you use?

Any info would be appreciated... Thanks!

PJA said:
Great Editing and the Tilt-Shift effects made the parade floats look like miniature toys going by...
Way Cool!

It's the original phantom - stock motors. The FPV is this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=15295

I upgraded the FPV antennas to these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=31647

I use this cable to go from the GoPro Hero 3 to the FPV
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=33609

I use these batteries, with the FPV operating, the batteries last about 9 minutes.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 00mah%203S

The props are just these cheap plastic ones. I do take the time to balance them.
http://www.quadrocopter.com/Phantom-Pro ... p_917.html

The only other thing I'm using is this vibration mount.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121135115811?ss ... 1439.l2649

Finally - this is the case I have
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FP ... UTF8&psc=1

Technology has got us to this point of small high resolution cameras yet we still intentionally downgrade it by making it blurry.
Go figure.

Not beating up on your video but if you step back and look at the idea of doing this, it is kind of weird.
It's like, watch this high resolution video but I will make it so you can't see it clearly. I think that effect is good, but when used a little more appropriately. And brief.

I have a video I did a while back with a Hero 2 and it looked just like that. It had a big finger smudge on the lens. I was a bit disappointed when I got home and saw it.

My two cents

Nvr2fst said:
I have a video I did a while back with a Hero 2 and it looked just like that. It had a big finger smudge on the lens. I was a bit disappointed when I got home and saw it.

My two cents

Ah but he chose to apply that effect. You forgot to clean your lens :roll:

Nvr2fst said:
Technology has got us to this point of small high resolution cameras yet we still intentionally downgrade it by making it blurry.
Go figure.

Not beating up on your video but if you step back and look at the idea of doing this, it is kind of weird.
It's like, watch this high resolution video but I will make it so you can't see it clearly. I think that effect is good, but when used a little more appropriately. And brief.

My two cents

Well, if you look at it like this - film-makers have been using depth of field for ages to have a subject in focus and background out of focus. It's a technique used to draw the eye to what the director wants you to see. They could shoot it differently to make the whole image sharp, but that's not necessarily better.

I have plenty of other videos without the effect, but on this one I wanted to make the floats look miniature.

JoeC said:
Nvr2fst said:
I have plenty of other videos without the effect, but on this one I wanted to make the floats look miniature.

And it worked. Also I said you held the effect throughout the video which you didn't but I put that down to my age :roll:

JoeC said:
PJA said:
Way Cool!

It's the original phantom - stock motors. The FPV is this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=15295

I upgraded the FPV antennas to these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=31647

I use this cable to go from the GoPro Hero 3 to the FPV
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=33609

I use these batteries, with the FPV operating, the batteries last about 9 minutes.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 00mah%203S

The props are just these cheap plastic ones. I do take the time to balance them.
http://www.quadrocopter.com/Phantom-Pro ... p_917.html

The only other thing I'm using is this vibration mount.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121135115811?ss ... 1439.l2649

Finally - this is the case I have
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FP ... UTF8&psc=1

This is a sweet and very cost effective setup! What do you use to monitor the feed on the ground?

Also, how did you mount the TX on the phantom? Do you have any pics of the phantom with the attachments?

Awesome!

Shrimpfarmer said:
Nvr2fst said:

My two cents

Ah but he chose to apply that effect. You forgot to clean your lens :roll:

You are right.
He did it on purpose. That is my point. You just repeated it for me. So the eye roll didn't fit.
Just a little constructive criticism from a viewers point of view is all. This is how we learn and progress. I would hope for and expect the same.
He posted the video for others to see. So just by doing that shows he does care what people think whether he says so or not.
Why spend all the time to edit the video just to watch it yourself over and over. I know I can't. We want to share them.

JoeC said:
Nvr2fst said:
Go figure.

My two cents

Well, if you look at it like this - film-makers have been using depth of field for ages to have a subject in focus and background out of focus. It's a technique used to draw the eye to what the director wants you to see. They could shoot it differently to make the whole image sharp, but that's not necessarily better.

Depth of field is a very nice effect, I agree. It just seems a bit much and to extreme for this video.

Nvr2fst said:
Just a little constructive criticism from a viewers point of view is all. This is how we learn and progress. I would hope for and expect the same.
He posted the video for others to see. So just by doing that shows he does care what people think whether he says so or not.
Why spend all the time to edit the video just to watch it yourself over and over. I know I can't. We want to share them.
I appreciate people's opinions, a couple years ago I produced and directed a feature film, Assisted Fishing.
When you do something like that, you want it to appeal to as many people as possible - you have a financial stake, so you listen and evaluate people's criticism. What I learned though is that, in the end, you have to go with your gut because you'll never please everyone.

In these little flying videos - there's no financial investment or risk - so I can experiment and have some creative fun with them. Basically, they're there for people to enjoy if they want. The effect isn't used as much as you might think - sometimes it fades gradually from a sharp image to the tilt-shift effect - in other shots its not used at all.

I appreciate your opinion, but it is what it is - just something to have a little fun with.

Bunger said:
This is a sweet and very cost effective setup! What do you use to monitor the feed on the ground?

Also, how did you mount the TX on the phantom? Do you have any pics of the phantom with the attachments?

Awesome!

I went with this over the fatshark goggles because I had a battery powered monitor already - the one I have is made by Small HD - It's a pro level monitor, but there's cheaper solutions than that. You could probably pick up an old 9" battery powered lcd tv with a video input on Ebay. Since broadcasts have gone digital, they're basically useless for the general public.
Something like this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sylvania-9-Po ... A/12548059

The TX is velcroed behind the GoPro.

JoeC said:
Nvr2fst said:
I appreciate people's opinions, a couple years ago I produced and directed a feature film, Assisted Fishing.
When you do something like that, you want it to appeal to as many people as possible - you have a financial stake, so you listen and evaluate people's criticism. What I learned though is that, in the end, you have to go with your gut because you'll never please everyone.

In these little flying videos - there's no financial investment or risk - so I can experiment and have some creative fun with them. Basically, they're there for people to enjoy if they want. The effect isn't used as much as you might think - sometimes it fades gradually from a sharp image to the tilt-shift effect - in other shots its not used at all.

I appreciate your opinion, but it is what it is - just something to have a little fun with.

Cool enough.

Well its good to see how many replies this thread has got all because we have been able to discuss the merits or not of using a particular post production effect.

JoeC is spot on between the difference between producing a product you intend to sell and producing a film that you like in the hope that others enjoy it also. In the latter category its important to go with what you like yourself rather than to try and please others. As we can see thats hard to do.

Sharing your films is a really positive contribution to the community as it inspires others to do better. Welcoming constructive feedback is an essential element of self improvement. Some people can't cope with that though. Also telling someone you don't like something and more importantly why, is not negative criticism, its just your personal opinion. The producer does like the effect and that view is equally as valid.

I enjoyed the film and I enjoyed the discussion it provoked. Thats a massive win win in my book and well done to JoeC for putting it out there.

JoeC said:
Nvr2fst said:
Go figure.

My two cents

This is awsome, and is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603iVnXZMH0

This is awsome, and is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603iVnXZMH0[/quote]

Ok after watching this video too, I better understand my problem with this effect. For one I have been on this planet for a long time and have seen thousands of videos, movies, pictures, etc. and to be honest what I have seen of media with this effect it has been very rare that it is used professionally to this extreme. Usually when it is to this extreme it is because the videographer is zooming in on a point and then to black as if you were passing out. Or when somebody is in a dream state. It is normally much more toned down to direct your attention and give a slight blur on the edges as your eyes may naturally do in your distance or peripheral vision. This effect in this extreme gets even worse on a small screen. It may work on an IMAX screen. I am not sure.

Granted, art is definitely not always following the norm so we all can do what we wish.

But now I can better explain what I am seeing.
After really paying more attention as to what draws my attention to it, .........is just that.
It DRAWS my attention to it. Not so much the clear area. But the very blurred area. It is so extreme I am seeing it as a flaw and I find myself naturally trying to focus in on it and looking for the clarity. I don't want to but naturally I do. What area is clear? I understand it is generally in the center but now I feel my eyes are being worked unnecessarily because the blur comes inward so much. I still say with the blur toned down , pushed more outward it would feel more natural. Maybe the intention isn't natural? Ok.

Now if this a new trend because everybody now has editing software, ok but I am not aware of it. And I really don't follow trends.
Once again my opinion, and after watching this second video, it came to me what I was seeing. So I felt a need to explain to others and myself. I just felt something was off but couldn't totally put it together with viewing just JoeC's video.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Sharing your films is a really positive contribution to the community as it inspires others to do better. Welcoming constructive feedback is an essential element of self improvement. Some people can't cope with that though. Also telling someone you don't like something and more importantly why, is not negative criticism, its just your personal opinion. The producer does like the effect and that view is equally as valid.
I enjoyed the film and I enjoyed the discussion it provoked. Thats a massive win win in my book and well done to JoeC for putting it out there.

It's great when others negative behavior create a space for "constructive" dialogue. Of course everytime we post a thought or let alone some sort of creative expression on any public space you have to understand there will be ...good, bad and ugly in regards to criticism. It's par for the course.

The issue that seems to plague this board is there are many that simply add nothing but negativity. LOL seriously thats it. Some of here have built friendships and business relationships from meeting others here that share the same passion and when you taste all the negative stuff knowing what it could be like...it kind of irks me!

Constructive critiques does make us all better when it is not just a negative personal jab which again there is just too much of around here. I dont know if age or cultural demographics have anything to do with it and we all can do very small things to enhance the culture here to be more accepting and more "Constructive" as opposed to "destructive".

Otherwise i love most of the peeps here and the community is one i share with everyone willing to listen. For the most part most here are positive good pilots and it's been awesome getting to know some of you on a personal level and i look forward to more of it.

In closing as i step off my soapbox i again say kudos to Joe for the awesome video "IMO" lol

Happy New Year to all!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31