I finally lost a drone

Reaction score
When I first started into drones, I bought some cheap ones. I got the V262 Cyclone quads. They were about $70. I thought they were great . This started in about the fall of 2013. I started flying rc planes in about 1988 although I flew CL planes since I was a kid.
Anyway, yesterday after replacing a motor and gear in one, I went out to test fly it. It started ok but the control of it got wacky. It's like I had some control but not enough. Well, it went higher and higher and the upper winds started to carry it off. It doesn't have the power to fight any wind. So, after seeing it high up and drifting away and not having good control of it about at least 1000 feet away, I decided to cut throttle and let it fall. It's so light with foam pprotector, it couldn't hurt
anything. So, I go driving around to look for it. I pull up in some drives to see better. No luck. Out here, we have at least 3 acre lots. I wasn't going to go over people's property without permission. A guy pulls up behind me as I'm stopped on the road. Before coming to my side, he takes a pic with his cell phone. I saw the flash. I thought that was funny. So, he asks me if I'm lost. I know the question was bs, he wanted to know what I was doing. To some, it would look suspicious. Normally I would tell them to F off but I can appreciate his concern. I explain to him about the quad taking off. I think he understood and believed me. I decided to take out one of my Phantoms and video the area to see if I could find it. This morning....heavy fog. No can do. If you bothered to read this far, you must be as bored as I am. Glad it was not one of my Phantoms. Let's see.....almost three years on a $70 quad....I'm not even upset.

Reactions: Lucone
Still a bit sad to have a little one leave home. For $70 you had a lot of fun I`m sure. I still take out my syma x5sw some times just for the halibut. I try stupid things with that little bird I would never attempt with my P4. I hit things I forgot I had in my yard, there still a lot a bang for a little buck.

Reactions: Monte55
What'sTE="Erised, post: 1063986, member: 58095"]Still a bit sad to have a little one leave home. For $70 you had a lot of fun I`m sure. I still take out my syma x5sw some times just for the halibut. I try stupid things with that little bird I would never attempt with my P4. I hit things I forgot I had in my yard, there still a lot a bang for a little buck.[/QUOTE]
What's the chance DJI will take care of this?

.....almost three years on a $70 quad....I'm not even upset.

well, you certainly got your moneys worth!!

I'm dying to tinker with quad copters but the I'm leaving the phantom alone. I'd love to learn to build one as I've been into RC since the 80's as well

Reactions: N017RW
But I lost a new 1000 ma battery. it set me back about $8.00. Now I have all these extra parts . How sad.

thats a bummer.... but do you have enough parts to put together another quad??

Im surprised you hadnt added one of those Eachine cameras on it

thats a bummer.... but do you have enough parts to put together another quad??

Im surprised you hadnt added one of those Eachine cameras on it
When I bought the first one, I knew I would eventually need parts. Rather than buy parts, I bought a second one. Cheaper that way. Last week I powered one up and the circuit board started smoking. So now, only three of the 4 motors will work per the board. I figure ok, you are a parts bird. Then this one takes off. Yeah, I got my monies worth. They both gave up about the same time. I won't invest anymore into them. They were flying crap to start with...The Phantoms spoiled me.

When I bought the first one, I knew I would eventually need parts. Rather than buy parts, I bought a second one. Cheaper that way. Last week I powered one up and the circuit board started smoking. So now, only three of the 4 motors will work per the board. I figure ok, you are a parts bird. Then this one takes off. Yeah, I got my monies worth. They both gave up about the same time. I won't invest anymore into them. They were flying crap to start with...The Phantoms spoiled me.

My first quad was a Propel Zipp Nano from costco for $25. The first two were so bad I had to return them but the third one was right on.

I flew that one so much that the motors burned up. Im still waiting on Propel to get (free) motors in stock so they'll send them to me but I'm REAL close to just upgrading the motors to see how fast it will go...its a clone of something... just dont have tons of time to research it at the moment

t.....What is that?

Check this one out

Check it out

eachine makes tons of stuff though

I REALLY wanna try one of these 90 mph racers

6630c64d-042b-41dd-9ebe-a54102e8863d.jpg

That's pretty much my story as well. Bought some mini quads and a V262. Since their motors fail rather quickly and parts can take awhile getting here, I bought a second one and a lot of parts. Flew the hell out of them and then a Parrot AR2. Once I stepped up to the Phantom 1, there was no going back.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik