I don't understand why anyone would let someone run them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think GoodnNuff has a good point.

For me, it's a toss up. I don't want people to think that they can just tell other people what do to for no good reason. I think if you don't stand up for your rights you stand a good chance of losing them. However, some times it's not a big deal to let someone have their way and respect their opinion on the matter. If I was flying and someone told me not to photo their home, its easy enough for me not to do it and does not effect me in any way. However, there certainly are times when you need to stand up for your rights.

One day I was getting some video of a temple. A security guard for the building next door came up and _very_ politely told me the owners did not want photos of their building taken (not the temple) and he was told to call the police if someone flew of their building. I have every right to do both of these things but it was not a big deal to me. Also, he was just doing his job and it was a really nice chat (the guy should get a raise as far as I'm concerned). I did mention I knew he was just doing his job but pointed out that photos from a public place were legal. He understood and just mentioned this was what he was asked to do. I had no need to take photos of he building and make him aware of this. However, if the police came out and told me I could not take photos, I'd cite the Constitution and stand my ground (I don't think they would say anything as they know it's legal). So I guess the point is... I'd stand up for my rights as long as it was productive.

This is really a tough call and it's up to each person how they react.

P.S. Anyone want to see photos of the Nu Skin conference building in Provo, UT? :)
Same laws here in the UK. You can photograph / video a private building from a public place. My guess is that the police, even if they turn up, would be unable to do anything unless you were obstructing a public highway, creating a nuisance or causing a breach of the peace. However, you are quite right in what you say, does it matter to you whether you have that particular footage or not. If not, it's a lot easier to move on.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I don't think we live in a time where a wise man's philosophy holds much weight any more. But if using that theory makes you comfortable run with it!
It has worked well for me these past 50 some years.
Seems to work well for many. One of my job requirements is annual training in de-escalation techniques.
The wise man's way is always better than the fool's regardless of the times.

I've never had a bad encounter, most people are very nice and interested in my Phantoms. Comments I get are, can I/we watch? How far/high can it go? How much do they cost? What do you see on your screen/goggles? Harmless curiosity has been my experience!

One thing I've done is laminated my Registration Card and placed it on a lanyard to my case/backpack. This way, if someone has a "problem" with me flying, I'll remind them it's against the law to interfere with the safe operation of an aircraft.;)
Same here. I've had several instances that could have easily escalated had I acted with impatience and an attitude. Instead every situation where I've had a confrontation has ended without anyone upset or feeling like they were forced to comply against their wishes.

Reactions: ianwood and Fplvert
I mostly fly on my property but I fly at a local park at times. I have been approached a couple of times. It was positive. Just asking questions about the quad. I'm polite and answer them. But if someone approaches me in a negative manner, they better be calm and polite also. Yelling and screaming is not the way. I will hold my ground. I always respect others when I fly and if too many at park, I won't fly. If I am driving in traffic and slowing up things, I'll move out of their way as I should. But if you come up and tailgate me just to be an ***, I will continue to drive and maybe even start slowing so they will get the hint and go around. I won't let people intimidate me. I don't like people in my space and I don't want to be in theirs. I prefer to fly when no one is around. Just something else to worry about. Best solution.....stay out of those situations. But that is not always possible. Don't let people bully you. Most of the people that act that way can't be reasoned with anyway. I'm not going to stop flying and provide ground school for idiots.

If someone ever tried to accuse me of spying or peeping while flying, I would bring the quad to a hover about 20ft over our heads and then try and have a conversation with them about it, "not very sneaky, is it??"

At the end of the day people are going to think what they are going to think, and that's fine. I'm not flying to win any popularity contests. Just don't touch me and my stuff and everything will be fine.

That is a one off case dont be an idiot there are stories everyday about a crazed gunman in north america shooting up a school etc!! Look at the gun crime with your ridiculous laws compared to ours the proofs in the pudding!!

[Moderator edit: Offensive and off topic remarks removed.]

Last edited by a moderator:
I mostly fly on my property but I fly at a local park at times. I have been approached a couple of times. It was positive. Just asking questions about the quad. I'm polite and answer them. But if someone approaches me in a negative manner, they better be calm and polite also. Yelling and screaming is not the way. I will hold my ground. I always respect others when I fly and if too many at park, I won't fly. If I am driving in traffic and slowing up things, I'll move out of their way as I should. But if you come up and tailgate me just to be an ***, I will continue to drive and maybe even start slowing so they will get the hint and go around. I won't let people intimidate me. I don't like people in my space and I don't want to be in theirs. I prefer to fly when no one is around. Just something else to worry about. Best solution.....stay out of those situations. But that is not always possible. Don't let people bully you. Most of the people that act that way can't be reasoned with anyway. I'm not going to stop flying and provide ground school for idiots.

Thank You @Monte55 this is about exactly how I feel.

I think GoodnNuff has a good point.

For me, it's a toss up. I don't want people to think that they can just tell other people what do to for no good reason. I think if you don't stand up for your rights you stand a good chance of losing them. However, some times it's not a big deal to let someone have their way and respect their opinion on the matter. If I was flying and someone told me not to photo their home, its easy enough for me not to do it and does not effect me in any way. However, there certainly are times when you need to stand up for your rights.

One day I was getting some video of a temple. A security guard for the building next door came up and _very_ politely told me the owners did not want photos of their building taken (not the temple) and he was told to call the police if someone flew of their building. I have every right to do both of these things but it was not a big deal to me. Also, he was just doing his job and it was a really nice chat (the guy should get a raise as far as I'm concerned). I did mention I knew he was just doing his job but pointed out that photos from a public place were legal. He understood and just mentioned this was what he was asked to do. I had no need to take photos of he building and make him aware of this. However, if the police came out and told me I could not take photos, I'd cite the Constitution and stand my ground (I don't think they would say anything as they know it's legal). So I guess the point is... I'd stand up for my rights as long as it was productive.

This is really a tough call and it's up to each person how they react.

P.S. Anyone want to see photos of the Nu Skin conference building in Provo, UT? :)
Actually you could have shown him a shot of the Nu Skin conference building on your phone using Google Earth, or almost any other place for that matter.

im not that big or strong and im genuinly afraid of flying sometimes thinking what if anybody sees me standing there with the controler thinking im a peepin tom wantingt to beat me up.
Stay legal, stay considerate, confidence will grow with time :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ObiDon
Someone tries to take my drone then they're gonna get broken legs, simple as. Say I can't fly there? Why? Legitimate reason I'll go.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

im not that big or strong and im genuinly afraid of flying sometimes thinking what if anybody sees me standing there with the controler thinking im a peepin tom wantingt to beat me up.

I've seen 4'8" tall, 84lb (estimating height and weight) 10 years olds that honestly (seriously) could take out a large grown man (me). Kids with Black Belts in martial arts where the training was real. (Not the day care "Karate Kid" studios.) Size matters, but it's not everything. I know I know, Snerd or someone will come along to have a field day with that.......let em :)

So don't be bullied because you're not large.

Some interesting responses. I guess we all base our viewpoints on personal experiences.

I am not a small person. I grew up in and around NYC ("back in the day") and that imparts a certain "attitude" in how one carries themself. I can count the times on one hand when someone has been bold enough to "get in my space." Never had to use physical force or threat of it to end that rare confrontation. It is hard for me to imagine someone threatening violence for flying (unless I was doing something to endanger him or his family).

If someone is threatening physical violence (perceived or directly) against you for flying your toy in a public area... you should probably not escalate the situation. There is a pretty good chance they will win and you will get hurt. A "98b weakling" doesn't threaten a UFC fighter. Bullies only pick on those they perceive to be weaker... and they are usually correct in their assessment.

I am very pro-gun, but let's be real. Use of a gun is "deadly force." Using a gun because an unarmed person _may_ start a fight with you or break your toy will get you into a world of trouble. Not to mention living with the fact that you took a life to save a toy helicopter. If you can live with that tradeoff, maybe you shouldn't be carrying a gun.

Pulling a gun, baseball pat or other weapon escalates the situation. The other person _may_ back down. They may also pull a bigger, better weapon and/or be more proficient in its use than you are. Even if you are prepared to kill over your Phantom, are you willing to die for it?

Remember that while you are arguing/fighting over who is right, your Phantom is hovering and running out of battery. Good chance that it will end up crashing. Even if you "win" you might still be out a >$1000 toy.

Let the police do their job. Someone threatens you, call the cops. Don't play "Dirty Harry" over a toy. Even if you "win" the fight, you will rack up bills and a possible loss in the criminal and/or civil courts.

C'mon people. There have been warnings giving in the thread by other mods. Lets all have a little respect for each other and for the mods who give up there free time to help keep the forum running smoothly. Lets stay on topic and lay off the personal attacks and the political & gun talk as this is a place for Phantom talk.

Since we all need to relax a bit I thought this might help...

d4c7f0b9f6b65a1c63107aabb043628dd6d6e58691d41449168de3db3b29ba71_1.gif

I agree [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

This reply is offensive to many people and is way off phantom talk so i think it would be a good idea if this reply is deleted and you get a warning lets keep it clean , friendly and on phantoms only

Last edited by a moderator:
This reply is offensive to many people and is way off phantom talk so i think it would be a good idea if this reply is deleted and you get a warning lets keep it clean , friendly and on phantoms only

100% agree but he will get away if it he is taking the p out of England...

Thanks for pointing that out. Please use the report button if you see something that shouldn't be there so we can take action on it if it requires it. ;)

On a lighter note I've had a couple beers and glad i didn't charge my batteries before I came out... :D

Hey. And don't forget, England invented America... ;)

Reactions: oakmeadows and JTC
I'm in California and every time I'm flying people always come to be and ask about the aircraft. I show them what I'm recording and what the bird is capable of and they actually find it very interesting. I met a couple from the UK the other day at the beach that was here for vacation and asked me if I could email them some pics of the sunset I took . I think it all depends where you live and the kind of people around you. If someone tells me that I can't fly I would just ignored them or have them call the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1