I don't understand why anyone would let someone run them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am seeing more and more posts about people saying someone said I couldn't fly here, or someone threatened me, or someone is going to smash my drone.. etc. My question when I read these posts is why don't you stand up for yourself. If someone threatens you I would think you would have every right to defend yourself. If someone threatens to damage your property you should have every right to defend your property. So when someone says something to you why pack up and leave or move. Keep flying until you're told you cannot by someone in a position of authority. IMO all you are doing is feeding these idiots egos and allowing them to think they have the right to tell someone else what to do.

You hit the nail on the head, actually. You used the term "idiots". I'm not looking to get in a confrontation with an idiot. They tend to do idiotic things, like grossly overreact. It's not worth it to me.

Just the other day, two people were killed over $25.

You are right. Our hobby has gotten enough bad press, for all the wrong reasons, so we need to be careful. People have wrong idea of why we fly, so education when folks stop to see what we are up to is going to help. The outright lie about a Phantom being able to spy on someone is laughable, except people believe what they see on the news. Explaining to someone that sneaking up on them with a Phantom would be like them sneaking up on me with their camera phone, while holding a running leafblower, and they come around. I show them the view while hovering a 50 feet, and ask if they can even identify the make of car driving down the street, and they start to understand that I'm doing videos of the lake or the landscape. I have 2 folks looking at getting a small quad to learn how to fly.

Thankfully, we don't have crazy gun laws here in the UK, or for that matter, guns in public, so in general the worst that can happen is a difference of opinion. Truth of the matter is that here, in the UK no one has any right to privacy in a public space. Unless you're harassing someone with your drone, contravening CAA rules, impacting on national security or ignoring the laws of the land, you are pretty good to go. With a billion mobile phones out there, and people snapping idiotic photos for Facebook everyday, the tiny fraction of drones flying around is hardly going to dent the number of photos hitting the web.

One thing I've considered doing is to create a leaflet that can be handed to someone arguing about "invasion of privacy" that simply highlights current laws and their rights. Even if someone is sunbathing topless on a beach, unless you are "harassing" that person, catching them on camera would not be construed as an invasion of privacy by either the law, or the courts. However, be mindful of "idiots" as these can be unpredictable even when you know you are in the right!

Of course, if you're a private detective or peeping Tom, some additional paragraphs might be required to deflect aggression and a good pair of running shoes could come in handy :)

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

You are right. Our hobby has gotten enough bad press, for all the wrong reasons, so we need to be careful. People have wrong idea of why we fly, so education when folks stop to see what we are up to is going to help. The outright lie about a Phantom being able to spy on someone is laughable, except people believe what they see on the news. Explaining to someone that sneaking up on them with a Phantom would be like them sneaking up on me with their camera phone, while holding a running leafblower, and they come around. I show them the view while hovering a 50 feet, and ask if they can even identify the make of car driving down the street, and they start to understand that I'm doing videos of the lake or the landscape. I have 2 folks looking at getting a small quad to learn how to fly.
Love the part about trying to sneak up on people to take photos carrying a running leaf blower.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

should we drone people need to be carrying baseballbats n stuff to defend ourselves?

I am all about educating people when they approach in a respectable way. For some reason I don't deal well with threats towards me or my property. I am not saying carry a gun or a bat or any weapon for that matter. I have only had a hand full of people ever approach me while I was flying and all of them have been positive experiences. I have had people complain to my town board and tell them I was spying in their windows but rumors and gossip don't affect me so I just ignore that. If I am ever confronted with hostility over flying I will respond to that person with same if not more hostility. Remember your phantom will hover if you have to put the controller on the ground!!

Reactions: NRJ and movius
should we drone people need to be carrying baseballbats n stuff to defend ourselves?

Why bring a bat? You are controlling a flying series of fast moving propellers [emoji41]

Or is that sending the wrong message too?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Phil uk
I am seeing more and more posts about people saying someone said I couldn't fly here, or someone threatened me, or someone is going to smash my drone.. etc. My question when I read these posts is why don't you stand up for yourself. If someone threatens you I would think you would have every right to defend yourself. If someone threatens to damage your property you should have every right to defend your property. So when someone says something to you why pack up and leave or move. Keep flying until you're told you cannot by someone in a position of authority. IMO all you are doing is feeding these idiots egos and allowing them to think they have the right to tell someone else what to do.
Because we need more reports of assholes and their drones.

I think it is far more important to be good PR representatives for the hobby.
A wise man de-escalates a situation, a fool escalates it.

Reactions: NRJ and Jussaguy
It is really all how you approach it. Just yesterday I spoke with h a ski resort that I will be going to in March. They have banned drones. Not only did I get permission to fly, they comped (free) my hotel room for the whole stay if I agree to give them the video and photos for marketing.

It is really all how you approach it. Just yesterday I spoke with h a ski resort that I will be going to in March. They have banned drones. Not only did I get permission to fly, they comped (free) my hotel room for the whole stay if I agree to give them the video and photos for marketing.

Sounds like your a troll baiting an argument about commercial use of your drone.

(Unless you are a commercial operator which was not mentioned)

What a crock of chit.
No you have ridiculous gun laws and Trojan Units that show up 20 minutes after a soldier's head is removed from his shoulders to finally confront the murderers.

Open a thread and let's talk ridiculous.........
That is a one off case dont be an idiot there are stories everyday about a crazed gunman in north america shooting up a school etc!! Look at the gun crime with your ridiculous laws compared to ours the proofs in the pudding!!

I carry law enforcement Fox 5.3 attitude adjustment spray / idiot control.

I don't understand all the anti-gun hysteria anymore than I understand the drone hysteria. Bad people are going to do bad things regardless.
A knife stab wound is a really serious injury as is a baseball bat or club to the head.
Good people aren't going to do bad things with either, regardless.
Why not just deal severely with bad folks and let good folks be free?

Ok, back on topic.......

Last edited:
What a crock of chit.
No you have ridiculous gun laws and Trojan Units that show up 20 minutes after a soldier's head is removed from his shoulders to finally confront the murderers.

Open a thread and let's talk ridiculous.........
I have no idea what you said. Was it written in English?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

That is a one off case dont be an idiot there are stories everyday about a crazed gunman in north america shooting up a school etc!! Look at the gun crime with your ridiculous laws compared to ours the proofs in the pudding!!

"Everyday"? .....lmao.

Credibility just went up in smoke ;)

There are actually more incidents where a gun was used to protect and/or save lives but the media refuses to run those. (agenda)

Last edited:
I think GoodnNuff has a good point.

For me, it's a toss up. I don't want people to think that they can just tell other people what do to for no good reason. I think if you don't stand up for your rights you stand a good chance of losing them. However, some times it's not a big deal to let someone have their way and respect their opinion on the matter. If I was flying and someone told me not to photo their home, its easy enough for me not to do it and does not effect me in any way. However, there certainly are times when you need to stand up for your rights.

One day I was getting some video of a temple. A security guard for the building next door came up and _very_ politely told me the owners did not want photos of their building taken (not the temple) and he was told to call the police if someone flew of their building. I have every right to do both of these things but it was not a big deal to me. Also, he was just doing his job and it was a really nice chat (the guy should get a raise as far as I'm concerned). I did mention I knew he was just doing his job but pointed out that photos from a public place were legal. He understood and just mentioned this was what he was asked to do. I had no need to take photos of he building and make him aware of this. However, if the police came out and told me I could not take photos, I'd cite the Constitution and stand my ground (I don't think they would say anything as they know it's legal). So I guess the point is... I'd stand up for my rights as long as it was productive.

This is really a tough call and it's up to each person how they react.

P.S. Anyone want to see photos of the Nu Skin conference building in Provo, UT? :)

Reactions: ObiDon and movius
im not that big or strong and im genuinly afraid of flying sometimes thinking what if anybody sees me standing there with the controler thinking im a peepin tom wantingt to beat me up.

Reactions: kennedye
Because we need more reports of assholes and their drones.

I think it is far more important to be good PR representatives for the hobby.
A wise man de-escalates a situation, a fool escalates it.

I don't think we live in a time where a wise man's philosophy holds much weight any more. But if using that theory makes you comfortable run with it!

I've never had a bad encounter, most people are very nice and interested in my Phantoms. Comments I get are, can I/we watch? How far/high can it go? How much do they cost? What do you see on your screen/goggles? Harmless curiosity has been my experience!

One thing I've done is laminated my Registration Card and placed it on a lanyard to my case/backpack. This way, if someone has a "problem" with me flying, I'll remind them it's against the law to interfere with the safe operation of an aircraft.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31