I don't think this is a good advertisment for the hobby

You're losing me here. Granted I skimmed through the video, but the guy is flying & stumbles across a guy laying out naked. How is this a bad vibe on the hobby? If you choose to lay around naked where people are in close proximity who made that choice? The pilot was nicer than me I'll say that.
Shooting photo's or video is one thing. To post it on youtube is another. Especially if the man objects and asks him to give him the 'tape'. If the OP then starts a fight with him, posts the footage on the internet and then also continues fighting on the internet (see responses), I think there must be something seriously with this OP. Not very nice, to say the least.

You must have heard the exchange differently than I did? First of all the guy was laying naked on the beach. What if a kid had wandered by & here's some dork laying butterball naked? If I happen to fly by & someone is laying out naked or choking his chicken I'm not going to post it on YouTube, but I'm also NOT going to "give him the tape." If he insists there's going to be an argument. Are you going to hand over your memory card in this situation?

It was kinda funny hearing the nudie threaten to call the police for "invading his privacy" & following the pilot trying to intimidate him. Who knew one has a right to privacy when laying naked on a beach accessible to the public & kids? That would have been the end of it with me & I would have immediately hit the video recorder on my cell to get clear identifiable ID as I dialed 911 & reported a naked pervert harassing me. I will guarantee the moment the guy heard you reporting a naked pervert he would have bolted. I thought the pilot was relatively calm just catching the aircraft & walking away. There was only an argument because the naked guy was pursuing the pilot & making silly demands.

Shooting photo's or video is one thing. To post it on youtube is another. Especially if the man objects and asks him to give him the 'tape'. If the OP then starts a fight with him, posts the footage on the internet and then also continues fighting on the internet (see responses), I think there must be something seriously with this OP. Not very nice, to say the least.

Last edited:
well i wish i could change the title but I can't, to others people who would comment on the ruin word, don't focus on that so much

FYI that it is very simple to quickly edit your own thread titles. I realize that the mods edited this one for you already, but just so you know next time.

Use this option:

Also, perhaps some of the responses are due to the fact that the video has been posted several times before. Cheers!

Last edited:
You must have heard the exchange differently than I did? First of all the guy was laying naked on the beach. What if a kid had wandered by & here's some dork laying butterball naked? .

Well the guy was just stupid.

Who knew one has a right to privacy when laying naked on a beach accessible to the public & kids?

By lying on the beach you are expressly stating that you do not care that you are being viewed. There is absolutely no right to privacy at a beach. Why would you even expect there to be a right to privacy when you take steps to not be private like laying on a public beach. If the point was to film this tard it could have been done a lot more effectively with a real camera with a telephoto lens... People are just stupid.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Well the guy was just stupid.

By lying on the beach you are expressly stating that you do not care that you are being viewed. There is absolutely no right to privacy at a beach. Why would you even expect there to be a right to privacy when you take steps to not be private like laying on a public beach. If the point was to film this tard it could have been done a lot more effectively with a real camera with a telephoto lens... People are just stupid.
Being viewed and taking photo's is something completely different. If I am for instance with my children in the park and someone unknown is filming us I would ask him/her to stop.
Whether you are at the beach or completely nude does not change this principle.
We should all respect the privacy of people. Especially when people are clearly identifiable and ask you not to publish the images.

Watch out! He may be peeping thru your window as you read this post! Lol! WOW!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It is a taboo subject and you will have a hard time getting drone manufacturers to talk about adding this ability to the birds. The issue and concern is privacy. Bumping resolution up to 4k helps for post processing. The standard reason for not considering tele-photo is usually the weight of the lens, but aftermarket customizes have shown this to be incorrect.

I have a legitimate reason to use tele-photo. I needed to get the bird far enough away from equestrian sporting events to absolutely keep it from spooking the horses.

But, I guess the point here is that such capability don't need to be emphasized in ways that might be abused.

Ok.. You can ask and generally people will respect that...especially where children are involved. Which is entirely a different issue. Some states have adopted laws that will prohibit photography in certain circumstances. In most states however, you have no legal ground to prohibit photography in a public place.

So in your scenario above, most would realize the sensitivity regarding children but in most cases you can ask but would have no legal authority to prohibit. If it were just you at the park you would have no means legally to interfere with the photographer.

I do it all the time. I do it without their knowledge and they have no legal authority to do anything about it. Matter of fact if someone tried I would put handcuffs on them for obstruction. (Read between the lines). But truly private citizens can photograph all the like.

The bottom line is... If you want protection against photographers then you have to take steps to make your actions private.. E.g. Sunbathe nude at your own house in your own backyard behind your 6 ft fence. If you are dumb enough to do things in public you run the risk of having it photographed videoed.... and shared!

Of course my statements apply in the United States. YMMV in other countries.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
We should all respect the privacy of people. Especially when people are clearly identifiable and ask you not to publish the images.
I agree 100%. The problem here is when you are at a public beach you are not doing anything private. You have no expectation to privacy at a public beach. You might not like it.. You might not appreciate being photographed but in the United States you have no right to interfere of prohibit someone from taking photos in a public place. (There are some statutes regarding taking lewd photos and using hidden cameras) A drone flying over a public beach..... Give me a break. Keep your clothes, do that at your own house or risk being on YouTube. I wish I saw some idiot naked on a public beach. I'd film it and turn the tape over to the local authorities. The sunbather is breaking the law not the pilot of the UAV.

Ask if you want but you have no rights to privacy bin public. You are recorded daily.

Being viewed and taking photo's is something completely different. If I am for instance with my children in the park and someone unknown is filming us I would ask him/her to stop.
Whether you are at the beach or completely nude does not change this principle.

The bottom line is... If you want protection against photographers then you have to take steps to make your actions private.. E.g. Sunbathe nude at your own house in your own backyard behind your 6 ft fence. If you are dumb enough to do things in public you run the risk of having it photographed videoed.... and shared!

This is exactly why so many feel like they have lost their privacy when a drone flies overhead.

Ask if you want but you have no rights to privacy bin public. You are recorded daily.
Exactly.... The moral of the story is... do it in private if you want it to be private. if you do it in public don't be surprised when someone films it and throws it up on TMZ.

This is exactly why so many feel like they have lost their privacy when a drone flies overhead.
to be completely honest I'm still not certain that you would have a legal standing to challenge someone flying over your property. Helicopters do it all the time. I'm not sure unless specific legislation exists for your area that there would be anything that you could do about someone flying over property... Why... because here in the US you don't own the airspace over your residence. That being the case the UAV is legal. Some municipalities have specific legislation that limit UAV flights... Most do not.

anyone seen this yet? check this guy out, i don't think this is good advertisement for the hobbie

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
so what ....

everyone seem to be stuck on the word 'ruin' for everyone, i merely wanted to share a youtube clip that i found , don't you guys get that when a ignorant person who nows nothing about the hobbie will think we're all about spying on people ect? I mean i dont think this would help for us who use this for good purposes
I understand exactly. There are people who don't own a drone, have never seen one, but who will see this and believe that every drone either has a telephoto lens or the capability of adding one. And it only takes one idiot like that to propose some restrictive rules to their city council, HOA, or county government.
Some here are such fanboys that they can't see past the nose on their face.
Hmm, let me make that sound a little kinder... some here are so invested in their drone that they can't see past the nose on their face.

I understand exactly. There are people who don't own a drone, have never seen one, but who will see this and believe that every drone either has a telephoto lens or the capability of adding one. And it only takes one idiot like that to propose some restrictive rules to their city council, HOA, or county government.
Some here are such fanboys that they can't see past the nose on their face.
Hmm, let me make that sound a little kinder... some here are so invested in their drone that they can't see past the nose on their face.
The public has no idea of what lens the craft is using.

This is not a hobby to DJI. I is not a hobby to FEDX delivery. It is not a hobby to the Fed regulators. It is not a hobby to us becasue they force their confused profit motive issues on us. I happen to agree with regulations from those entitle to them. I don't own the universe. But I'll dam well define myself any way I wish. I am a computer professional so when I fly a craft their is professional in charge. It is not a hobby to me.

that is the sticky point isn't it?
The legal issue is that people are objecting to cameras. If they bring a case about privacy they can't suddenly make it about a hobby. Are cameras outlawed or prohibited or licensed?

The public has no idea of what lens the craft is using.

This is not a hobby to DJI. I is not a hobby to FEDX delivery. It is not a hobby to the Fed regulators. It is not a hobby to us becasue they force their confused profit motive issues on us. I happen to agree with regulations from those entitle to them. I don't own the universe. But I'll dam well define myself any way I wish. I am a computer professional so when I fly a craft their is professional in charge. It is not a hobby to me.
I'm not sure I understand your point? I didn't use the term "hobby" so not sure what you are addressing?
To the lay person who feels drones are going to spy through their windows, I don't think they worry if it a professional or a hobbyist who is spying on them?

I am a Ham operator. Few realize that over thew last 110 years Hams have developed most of the basis for radio wave communication suggesting to congress what regulations should exist. Without Hams there would be no radio. The local police, sheriff, Coast Guard and several fire and ambulance services use our "amateur" radio towers becasue they can't build better ones and keep them working. I have flown RC for 45 years. It has more potential for problems than drones. Yet I don't see people going nuts over that. Just remember what we have in our lives is created by people not government. I think they just want to show up with a stern voice and co-opt on no authority.

I'm not sure I understand your point? I didn't use the term "hobby" so not sure what you are addressing?
To the lay person who feels drones are going to spy through their windows, I don't think they worry if it a professional or a hobbyist who is spying on them?
They have their rights and we have ours. But you guys are not complaining about "drones" you are complaining about cameras. If that makes sense to you carry on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers