I dont think i need the pro?

Reaction score
Its my old-guy birthday today, and I think Im going to order a P3
I don't think I need the pro...and being not that technical, I usually don't uyse some of the advance features.....

Also, without endorsing any sellers....does it make any difference where you buy from?
Best Buy real close to my house has both pro and advanced in-stock.
No bundles or packages, just the basic boxed models

mike

does it make any difference where you buy from?
Buy from a place that has a good return policy -- in case something isn't as expected when you open the box. Best Buy, Amazon, or a local hobby store are good choices. Also, if you don't mind waiting a few days for shipping, you can save a bit by buying from Amazon since it's possible to buy without paying tax.

Last edited:
If you don't care about 4K video, and it doesn't sound like you do... the advanced is just fine. Have fun, take your time.... and download the manual from DJI :)

The reason why I opted for the Pro was this years Black Friday deals included discounting and free extra battery on Pro only making it the same price as buying an Advanced.

Reactions: Wingman624
Just to share my story. I purchased a standard and ran it for a couple of days; only short duration and close flights just to get a feel for it. I ended up returning the standard and going with the Pro because of the extended range and the function buttons on the RC. Probably a totally unnecessary upgrade but it is what it is.

JI ended up returning the standard and going with the Pro because of the extended range and the function buttons on the RC.
The P3A has the same range and RC functions as the P3P (FYI).

The P3A has the same range and RC functions as the P3P (FYI).

Absolutely, I was comparing the swap with my Standard. My local store (and I had to have it now ;-)) did not have any P3A's only P3Ps so that's what I got.

P3A would suit you just fine and with the money left over you buy batteries and anything else. Shop around locally for a sweet bundles or at DJI, good luck and we will see some pics soon

I got the P3A after doing the same analysis. I don't think I need 4k video and I'm fine taking a little longer to charge. I have a bunch of expensive lipo chargers and I can easily build a harness for the phantom 3 batteries and charge with my other chargers but I'll play it safe for now. I don't want to risk any damage so the phantom 3 battery BMS.

The P3 standard is ok too but I think the lack of range and VPS is enough of a deal killer to make me pay the extra $ for the advanced.

My father has 4K and I have just the 2.7k (advanced). Both operate identical minus video quality.

His take was - future proof.

My take was - I'm sure I'll be upgrading to a new/better drone in 2 years or so!

I also don't have any monitors/tvs that play 4k yet. So all the videos I take today are almost useless. However 5-10 years from now I'm sure I'll be kicking myself saying "**** I wish I had 4k recordings back then!! dag nabbit"

Its my old-guy birthday today, and I think Im going to order a P3
I don't think I need the pro...and being not that technical, I usually don't uyse some of the advance features.....

Also, without endorsing any sellers....does it make any difference where you buy from?
Best Buy real close to my house has both pro and advanced in-stock.
No bundles or packages, just the basic boxed models

mike
If you are a professional photographer or keen interest in photography, go for P3P else P3A should suffice.

Only recently got a 4K TV and the difference between viewing 1080 and 4K let alone the 2K and 4K is not as great as you'd think unless you sit very close.
1080p will be the standard definition for a long while yet.
Screen grabs from 4K video have significantly higher resolution though.
This is often more useful than you'd think.
If buying TV now 4K is realistic future proofing as your main TV will usually last up to 10 years I suspect.
So yes but no but yes... still not an easy choice.

Buy from a place that has a good return policy -- in case something isn't as expected when you open the box. Best Buy, Amazon, or a local hobby store are good choices. Also, if you don't mind waiting a few days for shipping, you can save a bit by buying from Amazon since it's possible to buy without paying tax.
Good advice here, I have learned the hard way when buying expensive electronic things buy from a place that will take it back or exchange it.. rather than make you go through the manufacturer

It's entirely up to you, but as they stated above the pro is only different from the advanced in only two differences:

1. 4K video vs 2.7k
1080p is 60 fps on both

2. 100w charger vs 57w charger. you can always purchase the 100w charger for $60.

Also, you can install the pro 4K camera on your advanced down the line if you'd like as well. just make sure you update your firmware of course.

other than the differences mentioned above, they are EXACTLY the same.

Buy from Amazon if you can wait. Chase Freedom is doing 10% cash back so you can save a pretty penny.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's entirely up to you, but as they stated above the pro is only different from the advanced in only two differences:

1. 4K video vs 2.7k
1080p is 60 fps on both

2. 100w charger vs 57w charger. you can always purchase the 100w charger for $60.

Also, you can install the pro 4K camera on your advanced down the line if you'd like as well. just make sure you update your firmware of course.

other than the differences mentioned above, they are EXACTLY the same.

Buy from Amazon if you can wait. Chase Freedom is doing 10% cash back so you can save a pretty penny.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Isn't there a bit rate difference?. People complained the resolution wasn't good through the optional HDMI port with the advanced model

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I chose to purchase from DJI directly during their Black Friday sale....Some of the reasons for doing so:

1) I wanted a bird with the updated motors
2) I wanted a bird that has not been returned to the store or touched by a third party
3) I knew they were obviously an authorized seller (Please buy from an auth. DJI seller or DJI may not warranty a repair)
4) I looked at the bundles on Amazon and decided I wanted to choose and pick my accessories and the price was not any cheaper.
5) I got the Professional with the reasoning these birds are like computers...in a couple of years, 4K will be obsolete so I wanted the best money could buy at this time. With the Black Friday sale, the Pro was only $150 more than the Advanced anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: m0j0
Along with the faster charger, and better resolution for blowing up pictures and etc. there is the recent discussions regarding the bit rate difference, that may make for better FPV resolution with the Pro.
But .... if I didn't have hopes that somebody (either DJI or via 3'rd party app) would eventually give us digital zoom ... and IMHO 'that' would put the Pro's 4K camera much farther ahead of the Advanced ... I would have gone with the Advanced.
I'm not really holding my breath waiting for digital zoom tho ..... :(

Also doesn't the Professional use Lightbridge - the same as the Inspire, where is the Adv is wifi? So the downlink is faster enabling better FPV etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both the Advanced and Professional models use Lightbridge.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers