I don't need no stinkin instructions - wrong!

Reaction score
So my wife totally surprised me on Christmas with a Phantom V2+! I'd never even considered having one. I generally don't read instructions for anything until after I've already done whatever, usually with pretty good luck. Anyhow, I'm 82 years old and my 55 year old son was visiting over Christmas when I open the box and saw the drone. Together, in the living room, we managed to get it into operating mode and had it sitting there idling. Not knowing any better, I turned off the transmitter. I was sitting in a chair away from the drone and my son was kneeling near it. When I turned off the transmitter, the drone took off for the ceiling (and ceiling fan). Luckily, my son was alert and reached up and grabbed it by the landing gear. At that point I still didn't know why it had started to fly.
Next day I took it outside for a flight. I had read enough to know how to calibrate it now, so I done that, but at a low area of my 10 acres. Flew it a bit in that area, then flew to a higher area. Paid no attention to any battery conditions, didn't even know anything about that. Started to walk behind the flying drone (which I had about 6 feet off the ground) and was walking back toward the lower area where I had taken off. All of a sudden the drone went into failsafe. (which I now know, didn't know then) It went straight up, then flew into a big eucalyptus tree. It came down thru the branches, chopping leaves, till it fell out of the lowest branches. It somehow righted itself and flew up again, I guess to it's 66 foot failsafe height, which scared me again as I didn't know what to expect next from it. It then proceeded to go ahead and make a nice landing about 6 feet from where I had taken off. Oh yeah, at one point during all of this, an alarm sounded regarding the battery, but not before the drones rise to the tree. No damage at all to the drone, just a little green color on a couple of the props.
Since then I've read a lot and flown almost every day. Did have one "connection lost" when I was out about 800 feet and had no visual on the drone, but that message promptly changed to "coming home", which it did. Hopefully I'm getting smarter as time goes by. Lots to learn. Ed

edmcmeans said:
So my wife totally surprised me on Christmas with a Phantom V2+! I'd never even considered having one. I generally don't read instructions for anything until after I've already done whatever, usually with pretty good luck. Anyhow, I'm 82 years old and my 55 year old son was visiting over Christmas when I open the box and saw the drone. Together, in the living room, we managed to get it into operating mode and had it sitting there idling. Not knowing any better, I turned off the transmitter. I was sitting in a chair away from the drone and my son was kneeling near it. When I turned off the transmitter, the drone took off for the ceiling (and ceiling fan). Luckily, my son was alert and reached up and grabbed it by the landing gear. At that point I still didn't know why it had started to fly.
Next day I took it outside for a flight. I had read enough to know how to calibrate it now, so I done that, but at a low area of my 10 acres. Flew it a bit in that area, then flew to a higher area. Paid no attention to any battery conditions, didn't even know anything about that. Started to walk behind the flying drone (which I had about 6 feet off the ground) and was walking back toward the lower area where I had taken off. All of a sudden the drone went into failsafe. (which I now know, didn't know then) It went straight up, then flew into a big eucalyptus tree. It came down thru the branches, chopping leaves, till it fell out of the lowest branches. It somehow righted itself and flew up again, I guess to it's 66 foot failsafe height, which scared me again as I didn't know what to expect next from it. It then proceeded to go ahead and make a nice landing about 6 feet from where I had taken off. Oh yeah, at one point during all of this, an alarm sounded regarding the battery, but not before the drones rise to the tree. No damage at all to the drone, just a little green color on a couple of the props.
Since then I've read a lot and flown almost every day. Did have one "connection lost" when I was out about 800 feet and had no visual on the drone, but that message promptly changed to "coming home", which it did. Hopefully I'm getting smarter as time goes by. Lots to learn. Ed

Welcome to the forum! I'm hoping you don't get blasted for this post because some folks get really bent out of shape when people don't read the manual.

But I think it's an awesome example to come in here and admit you made a mistake and share your story so others might follow!

Glad nobody got hurt and you got back on the right path :)

Yep they are pretty complex machines and the instructions are all over the place. Kudos to you at 82 managing to fly the thing at all.

As you are now probably aware, switching off the remote before the drone will make it think it's lost contact and will go into return to home mode, which starts with it going to 60ft high. Always turn remote on first, off last and don't start it indoors! If you have to turn it on indoors for whatever reason, remove the props first.

Good message! And welcome to the forum.

Buying one for myself, I had the videos to clue me in long before the purchase.
But if I was given one as a present, I probably would not have had that kind of introduction.
The Phantom isn't intuitive to operate. I say "operate" because you don't just fly them.

:?
Very lucky.
Most who have no clue have already destroyed their aircraft.
Please don't fly until you read the manual!

Aaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnd there it is.

Welcome to the forum! I will not blast you. But, do download the REAL manual from DJI's site. It is a difficult read, so read it many, many times.

I do suggest one thing, nicely, I hope! :). When you make a post, it is easier to read if you make small paragraphs.

Again, Welcome!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic