I don't hand catch anymore

I try to be a real ole kind off guy pilot. I always take off and land on ground except at the beach. Over 400 flights no issues after first few tips then you learn fast how to land. Not any problems in over a year.
My first Phantom went for a swim when I took off from my dock and in a low hover, about a foot, decided to fly off the edge over the water about two feet lower and it instantly flipped over and crashed into the water. Obviously when the rotor blades over the water lost ground effect they lost lift and caused the instantaneous flip as the blades over the dock still were in ground effect.

For this reason I will never take off from a platform that doesn't guarantee equal lift on all blades if it drifts slightly on lift off.

I have never attempted a hand catch. I always take off from a flat place and land on a flat place. I do stop the props with the left joystick, though.

I will take off from ground (unless on something which doesn't provide the possibility, like a small boat). Then usually try to hand catch to avoid dirt or flipping over which has happened in grass once. The only time is if the unit is acting weird then I just put it down without getting close. If I can get it to a stable hover over at slightly over the head height, and able to reach up to it then it's a hand catch. Also always stand upwind from the unit, never downwind, incase a gust hits it and pushes it away, it's not coming at you can you have time to move back from it before it tries to re-position itself.

Yeah, sorry but anyone doing either of these is just asking for trouble. I can wheelie my bike for 500 yards AND drive at 70mph with no hands too, but I won't. All it needs is one tiny distraction.....
7f79a22b5b1e18bb22b7a93c41eb4f3a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ouch !! That looks bad and you said it
[QUOTE All it needs is one tiny distraction.....
]

That you ?

Ouch.. that's pretty brutal! What happened?? I know one distraction or problem could cause issues. I'm more worried about accidents with a friend doing a hand catch/launch and trying to "save" the bird in a bad situation rather than myself. I know if something goes slightly wrong, to let go and move back fast even if it means trashing the unit. Rather replace something on the drone then lose a finger.

I always hand catch but I use prop guards so a lot less chance of getting hurt, also always use sunglasses to protect my eyes just in case, plus a lanyard always

Last edited:
That picture looks like a defensive injury like the drone was coming in hot and they put their hand up to protect their self , hand catching would be injury on the inside of palm or forearm , if hand catching hover bird 18 inches above your height 5 yards from you now walk up to bird use your dominant hand and grab one landing leg .Best if you are using a lanyard on controller so its suspended from neck use your other hand to pull left stick down for 3 seconds All This while bird is over your head only bring bird done after props stop .

That picture looks like a defensive injury like the drone was coming in hot and they put their hand up to protect their self , hand catching would be injury on the inside of palm or forearm , if hand catching hover bird 18 inches above your height 5 yards from you now walk up to bird use your dominant hand and grab one landing leg .Best if you are using a lanyard on controller so its suspended from neck use your other hand to pull left stick down for 3 seconds All This while bird is over your head only bring bird done after props stop .
You know James I hadn't noticed that but your right .I catch as you describe and my fingers would most likely get it first .
He never came back to answer just what happened and still looks like that hurt and not saying he didn't do it hand catching .
Does look odd though .
Welcome to the forum James .

Reactions: Fplvert
Yes.. all doing this will standing upwind from the drone, so that a gust will move the drone away from you not towards you. This is important too.

+1

Reactions: dirkclod
I have never once landed my phantom 2 or 4 on the ground. It is easy enough to hand catch on the right verticals arm and hit the power button.

That being said my phantom went into RTH without warning cause of a faulty battery on my P2 while I was right behind it and under a canopy of trees. It flew straight up hit branches and tumbled to the earth. Luckily I was waiting under it like I was receiving a punt and caught it in my indestructible Arcteryx shell. Unfortunately one of the props cut into the side of my finger and I to my nail quite a ways.
No harm to the bird just my pride and my finger

I've not had a reason to "hand-catch" yet, but I can see when it would be a good thing to do. I just feel getting close to spinning blades unless I absolutely need to is an un-necessary risk...

Yeah, sorry but anyone doing either of these is just asking for trouble. I can wheelie my bike for 500 yards AND drive at 70mph with no hands too, but I won't. All it needs is one tiny distraction.....
7f79a22b5b1e18bb22b7a93c41eb4f3a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
See, this is the type of thing that makes people not believe people when they see something on an internet forum. Is there a risk in hand catching a Phantom... sure there is. There is risk in everything. The photo you have attached is either a mistake by you or you are trying to fool people. I assume you just didn't research and posted any ole cut arm pic.

That is what happens when you hand launch a 7 foot wide wing span Skywalker X8. It has a massive 14x9.5 rear prop and it took off faster than he expected causing the cuts.
This is what they look like...

skywalker-X8-flying-wing-EPO-White-Best-RC-UAV-FPV-model-airplane-FPV-necessary.jpg

Anything can be dangerous. One tiny discraction while driving can be catastrophic. A wheel could burst at high speeds, you could be t-boned...

Lots of what ifs in life.

I hand catch. I understand the risk and that's why there are personal checklists to ensure maximum safety. If you are focused and not ADHD you should have no issues. Respect the machine.

See, this is the type of thing that makes people not believe people when they see something on an internet forum. Is there a risk in hand catching a Phantom... sure there is. There is risk in everything. The photo you have attached is either a mistake by you or you are trying to fool people. I assume you just didn't research and posted any ole cut arm pic.

That is what happens when you hand launch a 7 foot wide wing span Skywalker X8. It has a massive 14x9.5 rear prop and it took off faster than he expected causing the cuts.

I was dooped .
facepalm.jpg

Reactions: 750r and Numone

Oh please, do calm down. I didn't say that was my arm. I didn't say that it was a DJI Phantom that caused that injury and I certainly didn't use it to "fool" people. I used it show what a thin, sharp piece of hard plastic, that's travelling at high speed with huge torque can do to human skin, that was all. My view generally is anyone can do what they like, as long as it doesn't endanger others. I'm just of the opinion that its a potentially unsafe thing to do to. I also don't understand why one needs to hand-catch either. If you've taken off from a suitable piece of ground, why can't one land there?
Flaming can now commence....!:D

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31