I don't hand catch anymore

think i will stick to landing on ground.
stitches in hands or face will hurt.
better safe than stitches.

It would be of use if you were trying to fly say... on a rocky boulder strewn beach, or cliff side while climbing, etc.
That is why I have a tripod with a landing pad I can mount on it. It provides a level elevated surface I can land or launch from regardless of the terrain.

LOL, there used to be a guy at our flying field who had to weigh 450-500 lbs - if couldn't hand launch or hand catch, he couldn't fly! He just couldn't easily bend over to place or retrieve anything from ground level. He had a Phantom 1 and a 350QX, and several small fixed wings. He would cut the engines on the fixed wings and glide them past, reach out an grab them...lol. Sometimes his son would come with him and he'd fly larger planes that had to use a runway. I guess some people have no choice but to hand launch and catch.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
That is why I have a tripod with a landing pad I can mount on it. It provides a level elevated surface I can land or launch from regardless of the terrain.
I like that idea. I have an old tripod-mounted slide projector stand that would be perfect, except it is made of heavy metal, and would undoubtedly throw off the compass, if used as a launching pad. Is your tripod-mounted landing pad made of wood or plastic, and wouldn't the metal in the tripod itself possibly also throw off the compass while launching? My folding wooden dinner tray table has almost no metal, which makes it ideal for launching, but it is not easily carried along, while also carrying the bird and the transmitter.

This is the one I use:
Helipads

I can use it with my tripod, so I'll always have a level surface when needed.
Thanks. Is there a center pole underneath that you have adapted for tripod use, and if so, is it plastic or metal? Otherwise, how do you use it with a tripod?

Thanks. Is there a center pole underneath that you have adapted for tripod use, and if so, is it plastic or metal? Otherwise, how do you use it with a tripod?
There is a hole drilled in the center of the launching pad where one of their included legs go, I use the camera mount to screw the launching pad onto the tripod. I've not had any issues with the compass, however the tripod is mostly composite material and not metal.

There is a hole drilled in the center of the launching pad where one of their included legs go, I use the camera mount to screw the launching pad onto the tripod. I've not had any issues with the compass, however the tripod is mostly composite material and not metal.
Cool! I might have to get one. I have a carbon fiber tripod, too, and the head could be removed to minimize the metal underneath, leaving just the screw. Thanks! :)

Go to local lowes Home Depot and buy a 2'x2' piece of plywood and t/o and land on it.

I've hit my fngertips on the props on hand catch landings towards the root of the blade and didn't hurt one bit.

Operating in close proximity while the props are spinning without eye protection isn't very smart either.

Last edited:
I used to hand catch every flight. It seemed easy enough and the DJI Phantom 3 hovers so well that I was never afraid of a malfunction.

But I also erroneously believed that if I were to touch a propeller it would just get obstructed and stop (similar to what happens with my cheap drones).

But I was looking through some pictures of people who got cut up from props and it was enough to scare me...no more hand catching. I don't feel like getting stitches on my arm or face, etc. I'm also going to be moving to carbon enforced props soon so even less reason to hand catch.

I don't like landing in grass though because the moisture gets on the camera lens, etc. so maybe I'll construct a landing / takeoff pad from a box or something like that.

Do most of you still hand catch?
Yop.

I used to hand catch every flight. It seemed easy enough and the DJI Phantom 3 hovers so well that I was never afraid of a malfunction.

But I also erroneously believed that if I were to touch a propeller it would just get obstructed and stop (similar to what happens with my cheap drones).

But I was looking through some pictures of people who got cut up from props and it was enough to scare me...no more hand catching. I don't feel like getting stitches on my arm or face, etc. I'm also going to be moving to carbon enforced props soon so even less reason to hand catch.

I don't like landing in grass though because the moisture gets on the camera lens, etc. so maybe I'll construct a landing / takeoff pad from a box or something like that.

I use a 2-foot by 2-foot piece of 1/4" plywood as my "heli pad." If the wind picks up really big while I'm flying, I'll take my chance in the grass. If it's really windy before takeoff, I don't fly at all. My personal opinion: there *are* risks associated with hand-catching, but if you practice in a safe area and take it slowly, pay close attention - HAVE A PLAN BEFORE YOU START! - there's nothing wrong with hand-catching. Yes, if you mis-calculate, those props can be somewhat unforgiving.

about 40 flights now ...39 of them hand catch ...I hover at belly button height..and grip firmly on the landing gear ...reduces risk of camera damage ..dirt dust water or landing on a rock ....ps I have a small Perspex landing pad I use for take offs ..also reduces dirt dust etc

No other landing other then a hand catch!

Attachments

• Hand catching.jpg
    Hand catching.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 313
I use my hard case as a launching pad, works great. Also hand catch almost all the time. Would not consider hand launching though.
also, all my take offs and landings are manual.

I've gone back and forth and have learned the hard way both times. In the beginning I was flipping my quad over cuz I was trying to land on uneven ground or my landing technique was not very good. Then I learned the art of hand catching and was pretty good at it. I was grabbing my quad by the landing gear AND fuselage so as not to put too much stress on the landing gear. Occasionally my thumb would get a slight brushing by the props... until last weekend. Either a down draft or I bumped the stick and down she came into my thumb and sliced me up pretty good, quad dove to the ground flipping over still running, broke a prop and I was heading for a ranger station for first aid. So I have switched back over to landing and perfecting my landing technique, but I will still hand catch where necessary but this time grabbing my quad by the vertical part of the landing gear with a wary eye.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I try to be a real ole kind off guy pilot. I always take off and land on ground except at the beach. Over 400 flights no issues after first few tips then you learn fast how to land. Not any problems in over a year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20