I don't hand catch anymore

Or a sandy beach!
I would use a pad on a beach before I would hand launch :eek: Well, unless I had a WooWoo drink in my other hand. :D
Seriously though, I would save a hand launch for a last resort. A pad would handle snow, sand, loose dirt, small rocks, etc.

All the turbulence from take off and landing on the ground sprays dust, sand, pebbles, and debris into the motors and gimbal mechanism, and sandblasts the camera UV filter. I prefer to avoid that at all costs. My normal practice is to launch from the top of a small wooden folding table that I carry with me, and then hand catch after.

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
I would use a pad on a beach before I would hand launch :eek: Well, unless I had a WooWoo drink in my other hand. :D
Seriously though, I would save a hand launch for a last resort. A pad would handle snow, sand, loose dirt, small rocks, etc.
Any recommended portable pads to try?

Any recommended portable pads to try?
I use my truck sun screen. :D If I want to get serious it take a small folding table as long as there are no hikes involved.

But I was looking through some pictures of people who got cut up from props and it was enough to scare me...no more hand catching. I don't feel like getting stitches on my arm or face, etc. I'm also going to be moving to carbon enforced props soon so even less reason to hand catch.

Google search those images. I'm betting you will find most are not from hand catching. I recall looking at someone's blog a few weeks ago against hand catching and that was the case with the photos he posted on the subject. Flat out lies.

Reactions: Meta4
I use my truck sun screen. :D If I want to get serious it take a small folding table as long as there are no hikes involved.
I like the alternative of the folding truck sunscreen idea. Very compact and portable, and large enough to do the job. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ive used my case as a launch pad a few times. and I have also used a flat pcs of card board from the garbage to launch from. and have landed on them to just for practice.

I grab the corner of the landing skid. So I have a firm grip on both the vertical and horizontal portion.

No flopping at all. And it doesn't require a death grip.

It also helps to have a gimbal guard installed between the skids on the bottom, to increase the entire structural stability, while grabbing the back side of one skid.

i like to try and hand catch one of the props it makes things a lot more interesting ive lost 3 fingers practising this but ive got it off to a T now!!:eek:o_O

Accidents waiting for a place to happen... ;-)
Why tempt fate? Hehe

RedHotPoker

I used to hand catch every flight. ..
But I also erroneously believed that if I were to touch a propeller it would just get obstructed and stop (similar to what happens with my cheap drones).

But I was looking through some pictures of people who got cut up from props and it was enough to scare me...no more hand catching. I don't feel like getting stitches on my arm or face, etc.
And that's why you catch above eye level and keep your hands down in the non-slicing part of the Phantom.
Since I was holding the left landing gear on the bottom (the part that touches the ground), when the props would stop from me turning it off (left joystick down), the drone would flop over to the side.
That doesn't sound like a safe way to grab your Phantom at all.
The safe way is to reach up with your right hand and grip the vertical part of the right side landing gear.
You have your thumb up towards the battery switch and resting against the bottom of the arm.
This way it is stable and won't flop around at all.

I hand catch most of the time because I don't have a flat place to land most of the time. I grab the corner of the landing gear with my thumb verticle and parallel with the verticle section.

Not like this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
i like to try and hand catch one of the props it makes things a lot more interesting ive lost 3 fingers practising this but ive got it off to a T now!!

lol thats alright and now much less chance of losing fingers if you dont have as many now. Plus if you are good all you need is thumbs to fly the phantom. and maybe a pointer finger for things on the app.

I take off and land on the ground or a little wood platform I found. It is easy enough and never has flop over.

I'd venture to say that the most dangerous thing about hand catching is if someone pulls down on the Phantom once they catch it. Make sure you grab it, move slowly and just slightly upward as you pull down on the throttle. If you pull down the Phantom will rev up, fight to stay level and in the air and won't shut down. Pushing up is not at all difficult or complicated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31