I don't hand catch anymore

Reaction score
I used to hand catch every flight. It seemed easy enough and the DJI Phantom 3 hovers so well that I was never afraid of a malfunction.

But I also erroneously believed that if I were to touch a propeller it would just get obstructed and stop (similar to what happens with my cheap drones).

But I was looking through some pictures of people who got cut up from props and it was enough to scare me...no more hand catching. I don't feel like getting stitches on my arm or face, etc. I'm also going to be moving to carbon enforced props soon so even less reason to hand catch.

I don't like landing in grass though because the moisture gets on the camera lens, etc. so maybe I'll construct a landing / takeoff pad from a box or something like that.

Do most of you still hand catch?

Reactions: reboot81
I don't normally hand catch unless there is no suitable place to land. I normally plan out my flights to include a safe home point before flying. If needed though, I do it exactly like this:

I hand catch most of the time just like the video. It is important to grip it tightly and do not try to move it from it's position when you grab it, shut it down via the left stick, after the props stop only then should you move it from the position you originally grabbed it from if that makes sense.

I sort of did it like the video. I always walked up to the quad but I always grabbed the left landing gear and used the RC to go down to stop the motors. The drone would then flop down with me holding it. I think I mainly did it that way so that I'm never that close to the blades.

Mine has never flopped on me while holding it. I do grip it firmly though.

Reactions: robsquad
I hand catch but always where some sort of eye protection. I don't particularly care if I cut my fingers. My eyes are a bit different....

Reactions: ScottyT and ELHEAPO
Since I was holding the left landing gear on the bottom (the part that touches the ground), when the props would stop from me turning it off (left joystick down), the drone would flop over to the side. It never scared me though.

For example, go way to the end (around the 12:35 mark) of this video and you'll see the drone flop over.

Reactions: ObiDon
Yikes! :eek: Yeah, that is a bad practice. You want to grab the vertical part of the landing gear and hold the quad steady. It should not move at all when he props stop.

Since I was holding the left landing gear on the bottom (the part that touches the ground)
Ah, yes. That's pretty dangerous. You should only grab onto the vertical section of the landing gear -- exactly like in the video I posted above.

Reactions: robsquad
Ah, yes. That's pretty dangerous. You should only grab onto the vertical section of the landing gear -- exactly like in the video I posted above.
Do you have a similar video for a one person hand launch?
I manage but am always looking for ways to improve.

I've never seen anyone attempt a one-handed launch. I don't think I will try that one myself either.

Reactions: Yeager74
Think you should buy a lanyard for your RC then you have at least 2 hands available if needs be

Wow. Super dangerous.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I've never seen anyone attempt a one-handed launch. I don't think I will try that one myself either.
Well, let me share how I do it. I try and find a level surface on the ground where I turn the battery on, and let it warm up. If not, I'll hold it level in my hands after turning on the battery. I then hold level it in my right hand by the right rear vertical strut, and use the Auto Takeoff slider in the app with my left hand while the transmitter hangs from my neck strap. Once it powers up, I let go, and take off.

Being A+ music Keyboard player here. So I have no desire to injure or inflict any hurt, to my prodigious finger tips. That's a no-no!!
My Yamaha Motif XF8 would never forgive me. Hahaha
Perhaps if and only when, wearing a thick pair of gloves... Besides, I
have a landing pad... Works for me, in any subteraniun atmosphere.

RedHotPoker

Think you should buy a lanyard for your RC then you have at least 2 hands available if needs be
Bestem makes a harness that holds the TX hands free.
41K3quDDpIL.jpg 41iAVOtGuTL.jpg
I use the Inspire shoulder harness myself.
71dkelXreOL._SL1010_.jpg 51RRodXT05L._SL1010_.jpg

Are you kidding me?! Why introduce all of that risk?! Just set the **** thing on the ground and take off for christ's sake!
It would be of use if you were trying to fly say... on a rocky boulder strewn beach, or cliff side while climbing, etc.

It would be of use if you were trying to fly say... on a rocky boulder strewn beach, or cliff side while climbing, etc.
I usually plan a little better. I always find a spot where I can take off from ground, then I go "fly" over those rocky beaches and cliff sides. :p

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj