I crashed.

Reaction score
Well..things were going too well I guess. I was really starting to get the hang of flying my phantom and I think it's what cost me. Up until now (a couple weeks), I've been super cautious, but today started feeling a little too confident...and it cost me. Long story short, I hit some overhead wires. I was way out in the country where I couldn't bother anyone, or anyone bother me. The only thing close by was some power, or telephone lines. I got too close and it happened so fast I hardly know how it happened. One thing I'm certain of though, once I got close, those wires sucked the phantom in. It hit, got tangled up and fell straight down. Bottom line, I was stupid, got too close and I feel like an idiot because it was completely preventable.
bruisedwing2.png
bruisedwing1.png

So anyway I wanted to show the damage and see what you think if it's still flyable. The props are broken, and I've given it a pretty thorough check and this is the damage. After taking props off, I connected it, everything seems to respond and transmit video ok. But that's just sitting on the kitchen table. I'm not sure if it's flyable or not with this damage. What do you think? Is there anything I should do other than put new props on and give it a cautious test run? Thanks for any help and advice.

Well..things were going too well I guess. I was really starting to get the hang of flying my phantom and I think it's what cost me. Up until now (a couple weeks), I've been super cautious, but today started feeling a little too confident...and it cost me. Long story short, I hit some overhead wires. I was way out in the country where I couldn't bother anyone, or anyone bother me. The only thing close by was some power, or telephone lines. I got too close and it happened so fast I hardly know how it happened. One thing I'm certain of though, once I got close, those wires sucked the phantom in. It hit, got tangled up and fell straight down. Bottom line, I was stupid, got too close and I feel like an idiot because it was completely preventable.View attachment 27590 View attachment 27591

So anyway I wanted to show the damage and see what you think if it's still flyable. The props are broken, and I've given it a pretty thorough check and this is the damage. After taking props off, I connected it, everything seems to respond and transmit video ok. But that's just sitting on the kitchen table. I'm not sure if it's flyable or not with this damage. What do you think? Is there anything I should do other than put new props on and give it a cautious test run? Thanks for any help and advice.
Ooooo-- sorry bud-- looks pretty bad from here-- you are probably looking at a new shell at a minimum and I think they are now available. If you are into repairing it can be done-- and there is already a shell replacement video on Yourtube. Some of the other chaps will chime in here with a little advice.

Reactions: badbeerbreath
That's a crying shame, to read your story and see the sad pics.
Also I hope that you can get it repaired and back in the air real soon.

Good luck.

RedHotPoker

Thanks for the sympathy guys...lol

I don't know what to think, but the pictures actually make it look a bit worse than what I think it might be. The arm that's damaged is still tight...I can't wiggle the pieces, nothing's loose there, and I cant see damage anywhere else. I'm wondering if I could just put a couple zip ties on that arm for extra support and give it a whirl?

Whirl it up, with your rotor blades removed first.
Arm the motors, See how it sounds.
Then try it with them installed. Hope it's still fly able.

RedHotPoker

Whirl it up, with your rotor blades removed first.
Arm the motors, See how it sounds.
Then try it with them installed. Hope it's still fly able.

RedHotPoker
Yup, I got the motors going without props and seems to sound fine. I'm just about to put new props on now and see what happens...

Ok, well good luck, and happy landing... ;-)

RedHotPoker

I would not fly it more than a 30' hover. If it passes that test I would order a new shell for it. Good luck.

Well it looks like I'm sol. I must have bent a motor as well.

IMG_1332.JPG

Any advice as to what I should do now?

Is this a parts phantom now, or is that repairable?

Are you sure the motor shaft is bent or is it just the shell is deformed causing the motor to sit at a slight angle further in? Just a little flex in the arms and the prop will hit like as in the picture.

Are you sure the motor shaft is bent or is it just the shell is deformed causing the motor to sit at a slight angle further in? Just a little flex in the arms and the prop will hit like as in the picture.

I'm not real sure, but after looking again it seems as though it might be the arm. I can kind of twist it up to straighten it, so either way that shell is done I guess. Hopefully the motors and everything else is ok.

Looks like the entire top half of the shell is twisted. I say take the top off and see if everything on the inside is were it should be. Such as wires and what not. It may snap back together or require some tape or glue. Just take ur time and remember were everything goes that you remove.

Well it looks like I'm sol. I must have bent a motor as well.

View attachment 27605

Any advice as to what I should do now?

Is this a parts phantom now, or is that repairable?

I crashed into a tree about 65' up last Saturday. When it fell out, it landed on one of the arms. It looked much like yours and the rotor brushed the top of the shell. The arm was bent.

I ordered a new shell and got it in Wednesday. Finally got the time to put it back together and today it flies fine. I'd get a new shell and try that first.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1