I crashed yesterday into a tree. Not hard, blades clipped branches at low height & snapped a prop

Reaction score
I replaced prop and got airborne again to see for damage. Unfortunately My Phantom 3 adv is a little twitchy, not as steady as before. It also drifts from position. Have I find lasting damage, or can this be repaired ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Anything can be repaired. It's just a matter of how much money you want to throw at it :)

Try doing an IMU calibration to see if it fixes the drifting issue. Then, inspect your Phantom for other damage that you might have missed.

Reactions: QuadBart
Mslinger is correct. After a crash or really hard landing or banging her an IMU calibration is in order. The sensors can get knocked around and out of calibration so the data to the main controller and Naza can be off causing wobble and drifting. Vibration usually comes from prop problem but drifting and erratic behavior is IMU. Remember she needs to be on a level front to back and side to side for the calibration.

Great thanks Guys ! It wasn't a hard hit, just entangle in tree then dropped upside down from a metre or so. Flew it again today, it seems to be fine. Holding itself nice n steady.
Still think an IMU calibration might be in order. How do I do that & what does IMU stand for ?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've just watched a Video tutorial, I'll give it a go.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Inertial Measurement Unit, which is the same principle as the Inertial Navigation Units (INU) used by airliners and sophisticated fighters as their primary navigation aid. GPS has stepped in, but in the military world, GPS can be jammed or turned off. INU is truly autonomous. I'm not up to date on the extent of their use today.

F = ma. Where "a" is a vector quantity, affecting the "velocity" vector quantity, which moves the aircraft's position. It's so simple in concept, but getting an INU to actually function reliably and accurately in something like a fighter jet is quite the trick. But once initialized with an initial position and velocity, any forces experienced by the aircraft causes it to follow Newton's laws and in a perfect world an INU should always have the exact position of the aircraft.

Having this kind of technology is something like a P3, in a cheap, miniature form is really incredible. In practice an IMU which is accelerometer centric, and can sense position effecting changes nearly instantly, plays great with GPS which will continually provide a relatively accurate position, but will need time to adjust to abrupt movements. To get the "Tripod in the Sky" trick right, even with some varying winds, has to involve the GPS and IMU very skillfully engineered to augment one another, which gives the amazing Gimble its location to do its magic from. Quite a good result DJI.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic