I crashed and lived to tell about it. LOL

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a video of my first crash.

Let me start by saying it was completely my fault 100 percent.

I drew a path using Airnest to circle around and come back home.

I knew I need at least 80 feet in altitude to get over the telephone
line in my backyard but forgot to add more altitude for the mountain.

It looks like the VPS was trying to keep it off the ground but it just
caught a bush and went down.

I had to take my Polaris RZR up the side of the mountain to recover it.

After replacing a broken prop is was back in the air.

Dropbox - Phantom Crash 2.mpg

Lucky! I flew mine in fog last night. Was a little damp after the flight lol

I'm glad everything turned out ok for you. What is Airnest?

Home

I run Airnest stand alone.
Just draw with your finger a path on the map, set speed and elevation, and the Phantom will follow it.

Last edited:
Home

I run Airnest stand alone.
Just draw with your finger a path on the map, set speed and elevation, and the Phantom will follow it.
Cant you over ride the flight path and ascend when you notice you are just inches off the ground?

Last edited:
If you use that app does it still log your flights to DJI Cloud?

Cant you over ride the flight path and ascend when you notice you are just inches off the ground?

I was not paying attention to the video or the Phantom at the time.
That will teach me not to get so relaxed and confident.

I could of at least switch back to P-mode and taken control.

But from now on when I draw a path I am setting my elevation to 200' so as to never hit anything.

I feel your pain. I am amazed at how durable these things can be. My first "controlled flight into terrain" was back in September. Just going out a 1,000 feet and back to get the battery level to below 50%. I was leaving for 9 days on vacation the next morning.

I tired two quick SAR missions Friday afternoon but no luck. Off to Mexico. 11 days later I mounted a full out assault on the swamp. I located the quad upside down beneath the canopy. I made my Crocodile Dundee escape out of the swamp and I cleaned everything (myself included) with Clorox wipes. I used some compressed air to gently blow out any visible/suspected moisture and then I let it sit in the house in the AC for three days to really dry it out. Keep in mind--that's 11 days in central Florida and although I wasn't here I'm pretty sure we had some rain during that time.

Installed four new props as a precaution, did compass, IMU and gimbal recalibration and I was back in business. Even the battery was fine. I was lucky to find it.

IMG_6527_1024.jpg IMG_6529_1024.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37932611/20150918 Drone Crash.mp4

Reactions: Skypicswa
I feel your pain. I am amazed at how durable these things can be. My first "controlled flight into terrain" was back in September. Just going out a 1,000 feet and back to get the battery level to below 50%. I was leaving for 9 days on vacation the next morning.

I tired two quick SAR missions Friday afternoon but no luck. Off to Mexico. 11 days later I mounted a full out assault on the swamp. I located the quad upside down beneath the canopy. I made my Crocodile Dundee escape out of the swamp and I cleaned everything (myself included) with Clorox wipes. I used some compressed air to gently blow out any visible/suspected moisture and then I let it sit in the house in the AC for three days to really dry it out. Keep in mind--that's 11 days in central Florida and although I wasn't here I'm pretty sure we had some rain during that time.

Installed four new props as a precaution, did compass, IMU and gimbal recalibration and I was back in business. Even the battery was fine. I was lucky to find it.

View attachment 37376 View attachment 37377

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37932611/20150918 Drone Crash.mp4

Just like my crash a couple of more feet and we would have made it.
Glad it survived to fly another day.

You know, I have a very frustrating time with DJI (Apple) updates... but for the build quality of my P3P, I could hardly be more impressed or pleased. I have had two crashes, one major and one catastrophic... and not one broken part!

The first, I took off from an unstable platform, flipped it on its back on a hard pack sand/gravel road, with props spinning and sand and gravel flying... I panicked and finally got it turned off after about 6-10 seconds. Unbelievably, blow out the sand, re-set and it is flying.

On vacation, 1st day, videoing, backing from lake to cabin and not watching drone but FPV I back right in a large oak trunk at 30+ feet high. It lands on its back with the worst THUD you can imagine hearing. It was like a kick in the gut... bummer! Got to it about a 100' away and it was on its back, lights blinking like crazy, bad sounds and blades not tuning... but all in one piece!!! I could not believe it. Turned everything off, cleaned-up and then went to try it. It would start, but had no power to take off. I called STC NYC ELECTRONICS (1) and they walked me through re-setting the mode. It worked and it has flown every since (with exception of upgrade downtime).

DJI, thanks for the great build quality of my P3P.

(1) STC is listed on the DJI site for service. My experience with them 2-3 times has been "way beyond expectation" service.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4