I can't seem to take clear pictures...what am I doing wrong? See Pic, Please!

Reaction score
I'm about 3 weeks in with my drone and I would say as a semi-professional photographer, this is one of the coolest things I've used. It's awesome. I have the 3 - 4K. While I can get great video, I can't seem to take non-blurry photos. I've attached a pic I took of the kids/cousins for Grandparent's Day on Sunday. All in all, it's not a good picture. Faces are blurry, etc. (Disregard the white faces, I played with the coloring some but had to leave to go see them and had to send the photo.)

How can I make it better?

Info on shot: 1/320 shutter speed, f/2.8, ISO 800

Perhaps the answer you can't shoot a crystal clear photo on this thing above an ISO of, maybe 600?

Any advice is appreciated.

SkyView in the 'Lou

Attachments

• Grandma PIc.JPG
    Grandma PIc.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 690
I'm about 3 weeks in with my drone and I would say as a semi-professional photographer, this is one of the coolest things I've used. It's awesome. I have the 3 - 4K. While I can get great video, I can't seem to take non-blurry photos. I've attached a pic I took of the kids/cousins for Grandparent's Day on Sunday. All in all, it's not a good picture. Faces are blurry, etc. (Disregard the white faces, I played with the coloring some but had to leave to go see them and had to send the photo.)

How can I make it better?

Info on shot: 1/320 shutter speed, f/2.8, ISO 800

Perhaps the answer you can't shoot a crystal clear photo on this thing above an ISO of, maybe 600?

Any advice is appreciated.

SkyView in the 'Lou
Is this a camera jpg or a DNG? Get closer to fill the frame with the kids.
For best results, always shoot in DNG at the lowest ISO, and wait for the drone to stabilize before shooting, and stay under 3 meters to let the VPS assist with stabilization. Use the fastest shutter speed possible without any ND filters. Take multiple shots. Get closer and, if necessary, composite the component shots of a closeup panorama to increase resolution. Avoid any wind. The P3 is a better video camera than a still camera. Try 4K video and extract out a sharp still frame.

Use 5 shot aeb to shoot the photos, if there is ghosting use the default lightroom function to combine them, if no ghosting then use the lightroom enfuse plugin. Shoot at iso 100 or 200, use the define 2 nik plugin to reduce noise, use the camera raw filter to make adjustments and the nik color efex pro 4 filter to make color corrections.

I'm no expert with the p3 yet, I have only just got mine but a rule I was taught with digital dslr is to always keep ISO setting as low as possible, it cuts out noise (grainy images).
Cheers
Adrian

Is this a camera jpg or a DNG? Get closer to fill the frame with the kids.
For best results, always shoot in DNG at the lowest ISO, and wait for the drone to stabilize before shooting, and stay under 3 meters to let the VPS assist with stabilization. Use the fastest shutter speed possible without any ND filters. Take multiple shots. Get closer and, if necessary, composite the component shots of a closeup panorama to increase resolution. Avoid any wind. The P3 is a better video camera than a still camera. Try 4K video and extract out a sharp still frame.

Great, thanks Gadget Guy. One question: Can you give me some direction on how I can "composite the component shots of a closeup panorama to increase resolution"? I don't have a clue what you are saying. Thanks!

Andy

Use 5 shot aeb to shoot the photos, if there is ghosting use the default lightroom function to combine them, if no ghosting then use the lightroom enfuse plugin. Shoot at iso 100 or 200, use the define 2 nik plugin to reduce noise, use the camera raw filter to make adjustments and the nik color efex pro 4 filter to make color corrections.

Dear Sinisalo, thanks for the response. I appreciate it. However, can you give me a bit more detail on this: Use 5 shot aeb to shoot the photos, if there is ghosting use the default lightroom function...what is 5 shot aeb? I use lightroom but am not familiar with ghosting? Is it as simple as researching this stuff? Thanks!

In the camera settings you can choose 3 or 5 shot AEB (auto exposure bracketing) basically the camera will take 3 or 5 shots at different exposures and then you can combine them in Lightroom. It is kinda like an HDR photo but you have more control over which shots to use before you combine them. The benefit of using Lightroom Enfuse plugin to combine the shots is that it uses every pixel in the final combined image and then you have more control in photoshop or Lightroom and it greatly reduces noise when you are doing night shots or shots with shadows.

Ghosting is when an object or subject moves during the burst shot. Cars, people walking etc can all cause a ghosting effect when you combine the images. LR Enfuse cannot eliminate ghosting so that is it's weakness. I always use LR Enfuse, unless there is ghosting and then I just use the built in Lightroom HDR combine function

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

In the camera settings you can choose 3 or 5 shot AEB (auto exposure bracketing) basically the camera will take 3 or 5 shots at different exposures and then you can combine them in Lightroom. It is kinda like an HDR photo but you have more control over which shots to use before you combine them. The benefit of using Lightroom Enfuse plugin to combine the shots is that it uses every pixel in the final combined image and then you have more control in photoshop or Lightroom and it greatly reduces noise when you are doing night shots or shots with shadows.

Ghosting is when an object or subject moves during the burst shot. Cars, people walking etc can all cause a ghosting effect when you combine the images. LR Enfuse cannot eliminate ghosting so that is it's weakness. I always use LR Enfuse, unless there is ghosting and then I just use the built in Lightroom HDR combine function

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Great, thanks so much - I'll look into it!

This is pretty much the quality I have been getting. I must admit while 4K camera is plenty fine for video, its photo taking quality is far below what I consider good. DNG helps some, but lack of detail and chromatic aberrations are big issues.

Shoot in DNG ie RAW. Set color to D-Log with Style set to Custom -2,-2,-2. ISO800 might be a bit noisy. I like to keep it at ISO400 or less. With such a wide angle lens on the done, you can get away with 1/120".

Then use Lightroom or other post editing app to sharpen/contrast/saturation etc.

Don't expect DSLR quality but overall, it ain't too bad.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik