I can't get my gimbal wheel on my new controller to work!

Re: I can't get my gimbal wheel on my new controller to work

jetlag said:
bouvier said:
In RC Assistant where you calibrate the levers you do the X1 calibration on the same screen. Don't press finish until you have done all levers plus X1. Help screen on left side of window provides info.
Then again in Phantom assistant except is 2 different calibration starts and finish. In Phantom assist you can also change the direction of the dial effect. Rev or Normal, Rev is default.
Mine functions perfectly. Letting go stops movement. Dialing up lifts camera and dialing down lowers it. How far I dial controls rate of speed. Very smooth control.

Thank you, I have just not found where to calibrate X1 on RC Assistant, just haven't found a choice for X1. The screen actually says to go to Phantom assistant to calibrate X1
Click calibrate. Move control sticks then move dial all the way up and all the way down and then flip S1 and S2 all the way up and down then click finish.

They are all done same time for RC Assistant.

You just have to remember in Phantom Assistant its broke into two steps. Controls first. Dial and S1 S2 on other step.

Makes no sense but since when DJI do such?

the main window of rc assist displays 7 sliders. on the left is stacked 4 for the main levers and on the right are 3 marked U,X1 AND X2
once you press the calibrate button you do the 4 levers and then do your dial. no need to do anything else as you will see the X1 slider moving as you operate the dial. move the dial slowly to each of its extremes like you do the levers several times. once you have done all 5 controls THEN press finish.
then you do the controller select in the Phantom assistant followed by the calibration except in here it s 2 separate steps

ya, like Damon said don't forget s1 & s2
prior to doing it correctly in rc assist mine raised slowly up and went down very fast with lots of jittering.

jetlag said:
bouvier said:
In RC Assistant where you calibrate the levers you do the X1 calibration on the same screen. Don't press finish until you have done all levers plus X1. Help screen on left side of window provides info.
Then again in Phantom assistant except is 2 different calibration starts and finish. In Phantom assist you can also change the direction of the dial effect. Rev or Normal, Rev is default.
Mine functions perfectly. Letting go stops movement. Dialing up lifts camera and dialing down lowers it. How far I dial controls rate of speed. Very smooth control.

Thank you, I have just not found where to calibrate X1 on RC Assistant, just haven't found a choice for X1. The screen actually says to go to Phantom assistant to calibrate X1
Click calibrate. Move control sticks then move dial all the way up and all the way done and then flip S1 and S2 all the way up and down then click finish.

They are all done same time for RC Assistant.

You just have to remember in Phantom Assistant its broke into two steps. Controls first. Dial and S1 S2 on other step.

Makes no sense but since when DJI do such?
jetlag said:
bouvier said:

Problem Solved: Let me Explain. I received my new RC yesterday and proceeded to follow the instructions on setting it up that are in this forum in many places. I ended up with a totally screwed up tilt mechanism just like it has been described in this post. I then proceeded to pull the pieces together that others say they had success with. This is what I did and now everything works perfectly. Even the gimbal tilt speed works as hoped. That is, the more you rotate it the faster the tilt happens. So you can now not only control the tilt from the RC but you can control the speed at which it tilts. This is great **** and worth the $100 for the new RC. Anyway, here is a recap:

1. Un-install the current version of the RC Assistant and then re-install it from the DJI website. I don't know why, but this is key to getting it to work. My guess is that DJI made some additional changes to the 1.1 version with out telling anyone. That said, it seems like a critical step.

2. Bind the new RC to the Phantom. Follow the steps in the Phantom Manual version 1.6. Its simple and I think different from what others have displayed on YouTube.

3. Turn on the RC and plug it into the PC. Open up the recently installed RC Assistant and do the calibration on the sticks as noted in the Assistant but DO NOT press FINISH yet. Now the next step is critical. Even though the RC Assistant says not to do the calibration on the X1 (the Tilt Control Wheel), you have to do it. Select the X1 wheel and rotate it several times in both directions then let it come to rest in the neutral position. Now press Finish.

4. Disconnect the RC from the PC and turn off the RC Assistant.

5. Turn on the Phantom, and then connect to PC. Start up the Phantom Assistant. It should be the latest version 3.6.

6. Make sure you select the correct RC option. In our case it should be the "Upgrade" version.

7. Repeat the calibration process for the left/right sticks and press Finish.

8.Then select the Calibration START button under the X1 control, rotate the tilt wheel several times in both directions then let it come to rest in the neutral position. Then press Finish.

9. Power down the Phantom, shutdown the Assistant. disconnect the PC from the Phantom.

10, Restart the Phantom and it should be golden.

I hope I didn't leave anything out, but these are the steps that worked for me. On another note (bitching time). I have developed computer software for over 35 years. One thing you never ever do, is release any changes to the software without identifying it as a new release number. Even when the software is in the various stages of testing. Yet, it appears DJI has done this in the past and continues to do so now. They ought to fire the stupid *** that is managing their software program......end of rant.

Two thumbs up for Mopar Bob! Maybe a moderator will cut and sticky that!

Gimbal calibration worked great. Unfortunately my gimbal is still dead. It just lays there slack like it is not getting any power. The Phantom Assistant also still says "Phantom Vision" and the top and not "Phantom Vision +".

DOes anyone have any clue how to reset this gimbal like the one on the Hero camera version can be reset??

SilentAV8R said:
Gimbal calibration worked great. Unfortunately my gimbal is still dead. It just lays there slack like it is not getting any power. The Phantom Assistant also still says "Phantom Vision" and the top and not "Phantom Vision +".

DOes anyone have any clue how to reset this gimbal like the one on the Hero camera version can be reset??

Can you get into advanced IMU calibrations? I have seen something similar happen like this before. It went away with advance calibration. There was some sort of reboot that needed to happen.

burlbark said:
SilentAV8R said:

Can you get into advanced IMU calibrations? I have seen something similar happen like this before. It went away with advance calibration. There was some sort of reboot that needed to happen.

Gave it a try. Went fine. No joy. It is like it now thinks it is a Vision and not a Vision Plus. The Phantom Assistant says Vision and the gimbal info is all for the Vision and not the Vision+.

Mopar Bob said:
Problem Solved: Let me Explain. I received my new RC yesterday and proceeded to follow the instructions on setting it up that are in this forum in many places. I ended up with a totally screwed up tilt mechanism just like it has been described in this post. I then proceeded to pull the pieces together that others say they had success with. This is what I did and now everything works perfectly. Even the gimbal tilt speed works as hoped. That is, the more you rotate it the faster the tilt happens. So you can now not only control the tilt from the RC but you can control the speed at which it tilts. This is great **** and worth the $100 for the new RC. Anyway, here is a recap:

1. Un-install the current version of the RC Assistant and then re-install it from the DJI website. I don't know why, but this is key to getting it to work. My guess is that DJI made some additional changes to the 1.1 version with out telling anyone. That said, it seems like a critical step.

2. Bind the new RC to the Phantom. Follow the steps in the Phantom Manual version 1.6. Its simple and I think different from what others have displayed on YouTube.

3. Turn on the RC and plug it into the PC. Open up the recently installed RC Assistant and do the calibration on the sticks as noted in the Assistant but DO NOT press FINISH yet. Now the next step is critical. Even though the RC Assistant says not to do the calibration on the X1 (the Tilt Control Wheel), you have to do it. Select the X1 wheel and rotate it several times in both directions then let it come to rest in the neutral position. Now press Finish.

4. Disconnect the RC from the PC and turn off the RC Assistant.

5. Turn on the Phantom, and then connect to PC. Start up the Phantom Assistant. It should be the latest version 3.6.

6. Make sure you select the correct RC option. In our case it should be the "Upgrade" version.

7. Repeat the calibration process for the left/right sticks and press Finish.

8.Then select the Calibration START button under the X1 control, rotate the tilt wheel several times in both directions then let it come to rest in the neutral position. Then press Finish.

9. Power down the Phantom, shutdown the Assistant. disconnect the PC from the Phantom.

10, Restart the Phantom and it should be golden.

I hope I didn't leave anything out, but these are the steps that worked for me. On another note (bitching time). I have developed computer software for over 35 years. One thing you never ever do, is release any changes to the software without identifying it as a new release number. Even when the software is in the various stages of testing. Yet, it appears DJI has done this in the past and continues to do so now. They ought to fire the stupid *** that is managing their software program......end of rant.

Sir you ARE a genius. I am in "bidness" as we say in the south. I already liked the TX for the lipo and the feature allowing you to lock the throttle down, but I bought it for the gimbal feature. It works even better than I had hoped for. I had already done the software swap earlier yesterday per Damon's suggestion. I have tried every possible combination for two days, and I think that one little step on the rc assistant where you indicated to calibrate the dial before finishing the stick calibration, was the ticket. After that when I went to the phantom assistant and went through the calibration of the X1, this time the needle moved smoothly from side to side. I knew then this was going to work. Thank you again, you have put a big grin on my face early this morning. DJI needs to remove the caveat from the rc assistant about calibrating x1 on the phantom assistant. At the very least they need to update it and add that one last calibrating step to the dial before finishing :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

bouvier said:
the main window of rc assist displays 7 sliders. on the left is stacked 4 for the main levers and on the right are 3 marked U,X1 AND X2
once you press the calibrate button you do the 4 levers and then do your dial. no need to do anything else as you will see the X1 slider moving as you operate the dial. move the dial slowly to each of its extremes like you do the levers several times. once you have done all 5 controls THEN press finish.
then you do the controller select in the Phantom assistant followed by the calibration except in here it s 2 separate steps

ya, like Damon said don't forget s1 & s2
prior to doing it correctly in rc assist mine raised slowly up and went down very fast with lots of jittering.

Thank you as well sir, I am just reading yours, and you also mention calibrating the dial in RC Assistant, as Mopar Bob suggested, and this I think was the one missing step. :) :) :) :)

Jetlag and gfm1135

Both of your gimbals are holding position wherever you leave them? Or are they returning to center when you release scroll wheel?

Sorry misunderstood you. The Gimbal holds its position, the wheel returns to center

jetlag said:
Sorry misunderstood you. The Gimbal holds its position, the wheel returns to center
Hmm I wonder what's wrong with mine?

jetlag said:
It would be nice to hear from anybody who has a smooth working one. I am very pleased with the new TX as far as the lipo battery and the lock down feature on the left stick. The Gimbal works ok once it is moving. I would think you could add a small input to the wheel and it would move slowly. Ad more input and it would speed up. At this point I would be happy just to see it move smoothly. It works perfect on the vision app.

mine is working smoothly ¨. I will post a video sow you guys can see

AlTiTuDe06 said:
jetlag said:
Hmm I wonder what's wrong with mine?

Just curious, have you calibrated the wheel with the RC assistant? That was the missing link on mine. Once done, it is perfect

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20