I can't figure out who's got the problem, pilots or DJI

I'll go to the beach shortly and do a compass cal again and post results. How far do should the phone and keys be? Those are the only metal things around me at the beach

I'll go to the beach shortly and do a compass cal again and post results. How far do should the phone and keys be? Those are the only metal things around me at the beach

Keep those and the tx a few feet a way. Make sure there is nothing with rebar or other type of metal in them..

Please post your sensor mod values.
Would you mind explaining what the mod values mean? I've heard you want them close to 1500 as possible. This afternoon I was out flying. I calibrated right before the first flight and got around 1500.

The first two batteries flew fine. On the third battery. I took off in GPS mode and immediately it went in reverse and started flying all over the place. I tried my best to get a hold of it and almost crashed. I shifted to ATTI mode and took it up to a hundred feet so I could calm it down and get orientation and land. I was able to land but came very close to hitting a tree. Had I not know how to fly Helis, I would of lost it for sure. When I landed, mod value was 1900. I calibrated on the first flight. I take it up 5-10 feet and let it sit for 5-10 seconds to verify all is stabile. But this time, I auto took off and it went immediately in reverse. I can see how people would think that it was the phantom error, but really and truly, it was mine. I was flying in a parking lot. Lots of rebar I bet. I was also about 200 feet away from an all metal civic center. I bet all that metal threw off the compass. Lesson learned. I won't fly there again.

I also learned.....that I will check my mod value before lifting off on every flight. Even if I calibrated and first flight was good. I was placing the phantom in different areas of the parking lot when I was taking off. I bet the mod value shifted because of metal nearby. So an explanation as to what this is would help. I will always check mod values now. Had I done it on the last flight, I probably wouldn't of had a problem. It would be nice to have the mod value on the home screen, So I can always quickly look. Any way of recommending that to R&D? I understand you can go into sensitivity and check but it would be nice to just have it displayed all the time.

Would you mind explaining what the mod values mean? I've heard you want them close to 1500 as possible. This afternoon I was out flying. I calibrated right before the first flight and got around 1500.

The first two batteries flew fine. On the third battery. I took off in GPS mode and immediately it went in reverse and started flying all over the place. I tried my best to get a hold of it and almost crashed. I shifted to ATTI mode and took it up to a hundred feet so I could calm it down and get orientation and land. I was able to land but came very close to hitting a tree. Had I not know how to fly Helis, I would of lost it for sure. When I landed, mod value was 1900. I calibrated on the first flight. I take it up 5-10 feet and let it sit for 5-10 seconds to verify all is stabile. But this time, I auto took off and it went immediately in reverse. I can see how people would think that it was the phantom error, but really and truly, it was mine. I was flying in a parking lot. Lots of rebar I bet. I was also about 200 feet away from an all metal civic center. I bet all that metal threw off the compass. Lesson learned. I won't fly there again.

I also learned.....that I will check my mod value before lifting off on every flight. Even if I calibrated and first flight was good. I was placing the phantom in different areas of the parking lot when I was taking off. I bet the mod value shifted because of metal nearby. So an explanation as to what this is would help. I will always check mod values now. Had I done it on the last flight, I probably wouldn't of had a problem. It would be nice to have the mod value on the home screen, So I can always quickly look. Any way of recommending that to R&D? I understand you can go into sensitivity and check but it would be nice to just have it displayed all the time.

Mod values are the current status sensor values. You want the compass anywhere from 1400-1600. This is the known sweet spot. Anything more or less you will see strnage thing in flight performance. Things like hooking while going in a straight line, gimbal issues and or GPS degrading to atti mode.

I can definitely put that request on the wish list.

Reactions: happydays
Mod values are the current status sensor values. You want the compass anywhere from 1400-1600. This is the known sweet spot. Anything more or less you will see strnage thing in flight performance. Things like hooking while going in a straight line, gimbal issues and or GPS degrading to atti mode.

I can definitely put that request on the wish list.
Yeah, I think if people just look at the mod value and don't fly if it is out of range, It may solve quite a few fly aways. In my case, I shifted location on the last take off(an area with rebar) and didn't look at the mod value. It was way off. Had I had it staring at me right on the home screen. Maybe even have it the color green showing it's in range and red if out of range would help many people. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: happydays
I'm gonna jump in and say it's pilot error all the way. I've 2 crashes both entirely my fault. Yesterday I averted 2 possible problems and realized my skills are improving.

Second the parking lot. I lost a p2 because I took off in a parking lot. Went up and North never to be seen again.

Can you explain the compass numbers? And by the way the compass mod HUD would be nice but isn't that built in? When it's abnormal you get an alert..

Lastly, took the quad to the beach tonight.. Here are the two readings, one before the compass call (with the 1900 at home), and the second after the cal.

Attachments

• 1435466175052.jpg
    1435466175052.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 264
  • 1435466185012.jpg
    1435466185012.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 256
The P3 is a complex machine. Regardless of what DJI advertises, it's not something people can just unpack and start flying. So, there are certainly many issues that could be avoided. You cannot fix people though :)

There are also legitimate problems that arise and DJI is constantly working to improve their products. With the large number of people out flying Phantoms though, it would be impossible to foresee and/or test for every scenario.
I do not agree. It is a kind of thing that anyone can fly out of the box with no experience. The level is approximately the same when you jump on a sport motor bike. Anyone can drive a bike, but how they drive it - that is the question.

I have spent considerable time cleaning this thread up. I apologize to anyones post who were removed solely on the basis of continuity, not that you posted something bad. As far as the other post if you see a post was removed please check the rules and see if it was in violation. We do not allow vendor complaints in any form for any vendor. This forum is not about that, it is about camaraderie and helping your fellow Phantom enthusiast. Political and religious comments will also not be allowed... this information is all in the forum rules http://www.phantompilots.com/pages/communityguidelines/

For problems like the last 2 pages have been be sure not to hijack this thread again and to start your own thread in the appropriate area, like Phantom 3 help.

Please stay on topic. Thanks for your cooperation.

Reactions: dirkclod and 30secs
There are very few complaints when you compare them to the number of Phantoms sold. Keep in mind that most people who have no problems are not posting about their good experiences.

This is exactly how I feel. While I am not discounting the issues that are seemingly to be occurring, you rarely hear when there is success and no problems encountered. The forums serve as a community but they are also a magnet for the problems and sometimes the good is drowned out. I am not saying that it shouldn't be remarked of course, but when a new user pops into a forum and sees only problems the perception is set.

I have 5 Phantoms. Two vision pluses, one og vision with rp gimball, P3 and a P2 with zemuse3d gimbal. One crash broke 2 props and both were user error. I often fly over 15k feet and over 1200 altitude. Very reliable stable and forgiving platform. Stay alert and check equipment before every flight and you will do well.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

With over 100k in the air and your saying you have read 12 reports? Like I said very few considering the total. (Invite you to do the math)

I know this doesn't help if you're one of them. If you are seeing jello under normal conditions then more than likely the gimbal needs to be repaired or replaced.
I dont think the math is correct. 12 is actually a lot because its for the this internet forum alone. Many P3 buyers wont bother about jello or they think its normal and many are ust not "geeks", they never had a multicopter before. Many with problems wont even write in forums as well, they will probably call the service hotline directly. 12 is just from the small amount of ppl who visit these forums and not all forum members are online regulary, many have overlooked the thread or just dont post stuff.

Yes i hope it will be repaired or replaced, this would be fantastic and the first time i would have a working 3 axis gimbal. Like i said the P3 is a nice concept, thats why i bought it and the other phantoms before. My P2 and P1s worked all very good when you exclude the gimbals. I never crashed with a phantom, maybe im to strict but i always calibrate IMU before the flights and check the props, never touch the Phantom during startup or move it to another place and such things.

Has anyone come out with a "Pre-Flight Check List" for the P3P that would include all necessary calibrations, mod values, etc. etc. ??

Well, I got my Phantom 3 today, took it home, charged the batteries, calibrated IMU and gimbal and then went to the front yard. Calibrated compass and took off. Everything went extremely well, no problems, nothing. Didn't get crazy with it and had a good flight. Amazing how fast 20 minutes can go by. I don't even know what version firmware I have, it didn't ask for an upgrade and I didn't ask what version was running. It truly ran great right out of the box. Thanks to everyone for the great information and all I can say to answer my own original question, do it to the letter and there should be no problems. BTW, I was using an Ipad Mini 2 and the lag was maybe 1 second if that much. Glad I bought the Phantom and I look forward to many more safe and fun flights. Thanks again to everyone.

Reactions: Jorovi
After getting 8 more flights in now on new firmware the only glaring issue I can see is the gimbal off horizon and that's only after some severe yaw pull. It's still way better than all the zenmuse issues I have dealt with in the last 8 months. Hopefully should never have to reset a dead p3 gimbal

I don't get it why people are putting themselves in camps and honestly I'm starting to think it's just trolling.

I can't believe the ones that say they have zero issues really have never had a single issue, not even app crash or off gimbal at times? Don't buy it.

And for those that have some issues.. Like myself, I still love my p3, it's a great machine. But it's not perfect. Just now I went out with brand new 1ft USB cable and the app kept losing signal at 60ft away. AND the gimbal was off.. Again. So what should I do? Contact Dji about replacement or wait for the next update?
+1

My P3P/RC/SmartBatteries all running on firmware 1.1.9. Due to all the issues with the new and unreliable 1.2.6 firmware I am very hesitant to upload it on to my new P3P or RC. When powering up my copter and RC, my DJI Pilot App v 1.2.0 on my Iphone 6 it reflected a warning that my RC and Copter required update. Question.... can I ignore the warning and just fly using the installed firmware 1.1.9 ?? Im a rookie at this and don't want to take any chances. :(

DJI has a few minor issues with the P3 that need attention but for the most part, it's operator induced. I'm sure if the operator did an approved course of "driving a drone", the accident rate would reduce significantly. Would be interesting to get stats on accidents from the general public and people with an aviation background, or RC experience.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik