I Can't Believe it! MY "New & Improved" shell has a crack after 7 flights!

Dozens of sets on 3 different Phantom models over 18 months - never a one that wasn't perfect (in terms of video quality). Also spent 18 months attempting to balance props on toy and other quads.....without gimbals.

In those cases it may have some relevance. Point is that the P3 is a highly tuned and integrated system and if it's not taking smooth video or if the shell is cracking it's not because of the props (in 99.9% of cases - IMHO).

In this industry "did you balance your props?" seems to be the answer to every problem...when, in fact, I don't think it is.
Perhaps think only for verification. I'm really not planning on needing new props anytime soon (after I get the Dji CF.)

I've had my P3A since late July, use prop guards and just recently checked my bird and I have no cracks. Both my guards and blades are dyed but I don't think that makes a difference. I've also never balanced my blades but did recently changed them out. All this info is very interesting but it makes me wonder if I'm just lucky or will this be a problem down the road. FYI newer flyer btw

I've had my P3A since late July, use prop guards and just recently checked my bird and I have no cracks. Both my guards and blades are dyed but I don't think that makes a difference. I've also never balanced my blades but did recently changed them out. All this info is very interesting but it makes me wonder if I'm just lucky or will this be a problem down the road. FYI newer flyer btw
Just keep doing what you're doing and don't crash.
Remember--safety is no accident! :)

After DJI "fixed" my quad because of stress cracks around the rear motor mounts and sent it back to me a few days ago, I inspected it yesterday and noticed this crack on the arm after just a few flights!

And this crack is on the arm itself and not in the screw mounts.

All 7 flights were flawless and the landings were all hand caught.

I handle and treat my quads like a new born baby!

The old "flawed" shell lasted much longer than this.

Man...this is ridiculous!

Anyone else had a new and improved shell crack?

vq79dk.jpg
I've had my P3A since June with more than 100 fights and no problems yet.????????

I posted this question before, but I'm wondering If some that are experiencing cracks are using carbon fiber props. In other words, does the stiffness of the cf props send the energy back into the shell adding the potential for stress cracks. Eg. - if the white are more flexible and the pilot accelerates the drone quickly, does that cause the blade to flex and absorb the energy rather than the shell arms? Any thoughts on this?
Sounds logical

Hi I am 67 years old and just getting into drones however I have flown fixed wing RC aircraft for over 35 years and we always balanced our props. In my experience I have NEVER bought a prop that was perfectly balanced. I have seen what an unbalanced prop will do to a fixed wing aircraft an it is not pretty, therefore I am assuming that unbalanced times 4 (or more) could lead to catastrophic failure over time. As I said I am new to drones but I for one will not be flying without ensuring the props are balanced and matched as near as possible. Cheers!!

Reactions: Dounin Front
After DJI "fixed" my quad because of stress cracks around the rear motor mounts and sent it back to me a few days ago, I inspected it yesterday and noticed this crack on the arm after just a few flights!

vq79dk.jpg
I'm not sure if these are cracks to?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'm not sure if these are cracks to?
View attachment 34733View attachment 34734
Those are not cracks. The shell is divided there. Nothing to worry about

Admittedly I did not read all the replies, but have we established if this "new and improved shell" is the latest generation with larger vent holes and motor mount cross bracing? I would like to see a flashlight under the motor and a perfect top down shot highlighting the small gap between the motor and the circular cut out in the top shell half.

one thing that I've tried is do you know that silicone tape that wraps around and then permanently seals itself to itself I use the clear cut it a little skinnier and rapped out around all four corners. Because of its elasticity it seems to have solved the problem for me. And you can hardly tell it's on their. Good luck
vq79dk.jpg
right knocked out all

Attachments

• IMG_2135.JPG
    IMG_2135.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 301
  • IMG_2136.JPG
    IMG_2136.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 331
DJi cannot expect buyers to do any prop checking/balancing. That is not mentioned once in any how to documents. This cannot be blamed in props. The full blame here is poor design by DJI and needs to be addressed. Should be a class action suit.

DJi cannot expect buyers to do any prop checking/balancing. That is not mentioned once in any how to documents. This cannot be blamed in props. The full blame here is poor design by DJI and needs to be addressed. Should be a class action suit.

You are correct. I have not heard or read anything from Dji re: prop balancing either. It's probably just of interest to those of us that like to check things and tweak them here and there. Same with the cracks. If you never looked at the underside, you would never know and probably be happy as a clam almost all the time. (In 6 months of reading these forums, I have only read of 1 motor flying off of its mounting.) If it's worrisome, one could add the StrongArm plates to ensure everything is reinforced and stays put.
Class action sounds a little harsh. From what I've heard, Dji will replace N/C any cracked shells under warranty. And I'll bet they could be persuaded individually to replace the shell beyond that time if the drone hasn't been crashed. I'm guessing post-crash is when many notice a cracked shell.
Shells are $59 US plus labor--yours or theirs, which is less than they have been for previous models. Maybe it's Dji's way of appeasing us.
All this is IMO

I think a class action lawsuit is a great idea - let's hit DJI really really hard. Let's put them out of production. Let's make them put the price up more.......................
tumblr_nozbavrxe51ro8ysbo1_500.gif
But if you do that, they wont be able to fix my cracks. pun instended

Hi guys,I brought my p3pro in May I think,one of the first few in NZ,flown 150 flights from only 3 locations,well looked after and thought the shell cracks where the only concern for me so had been looking every flight for the last 50 and today have the same exact crack in the same place as the control freq guy,I'm gutted but somehow but not surprised so it seems it's only time but it will happen,no strong arm supports,brakes turned down right in the beginning,no balancing but have changed props for the hell of it through these flights,guess I'll be calling the shop I brought it from tomorrow and I'll be grounding her for now the poor lass

Hi guys,I brought my p3pro in May I think,one of the first few in NZ,flown 150 flights from only 3 locations,well looked after and thought the shell cracks where the only concern for me so had been looking every flight for the last 50 and today have the same exact crack in the same place as the control freq guy,I'm gutted but somehow but not surprised so it seems it's only time but it will happen,no strong arm supports,brakes turned down right in the beginning,no balancing but have changed props for the hell of it through these flights,guess I'll be calling the shop I brought it from tomorrow and I'll be grounding her for now the poor lass

is it just one crack, on one arm?

Brand new props are as likely to be out of balance as an old prop. If one of the props is badly out of balance it shakes the crap out of the frame when running at high rpm. Again, not saying this is why your arms are cracking near the motors, but it would be nice to rule it out. Always fly with well balanced props.
Best way to balance?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers