I bought the wrong iPad

What about if you set a new homepoint when using a non-GPS enabled device? How will you know where you are in relation to the bird when not flying LOS?

What about if you set a new homepoint when using a non-GPS enabled device? How will you know where you are in relation to the bird when not flying LOS?
i dont know why you ppl are so keen to set new Home points, i never did that since 2,5 years Phantom. With the App you can set a new hompoint while in the air i guess, they added a new icon. How can the App know where you are when not setting a new home point? I guess the app know where your starting point was and it knows where you are in the map, i guess its not a problem to add a new home point without loosing your position on the map. That would make the funciton useless, thats why i think your position will be kept when setting a new home point with the app.

you should read what i wrote. It has nothing to do with the amount of sats received in the app. The app dont use the tablet GPS receiver but the P3 GPS. You will get the same 14-17 sats in this case.
The only useful thing for cellular ipad is when you want a follow me function or when the Phantom3 should return to the tablet instead of your starting point. Both things are not really interesting for most ppl
I read what you said, and I addressed it perfectly. Not.. the app does not use any GPS data from the Phantom except to show you where the drone is. The app uses GPS for several features such as setting RTH to the transmitter location, and follow me... As has been mentioned already. It also uses table GPS to show where YOU are so if, in the event of a crash, you can navigate YOURSELF to the Phantoms last know location. Anything else?

i dont know why you ppl are so keen to set new Home points, i never did that since 2,5 years Phantom. With the App you can set a new hompoint while in the air i guess, they added a new icon. How can the App know where you are when not setting a new home point? I guess the app know where your starting point was and it knows where you are in the map, i guess its not a problem to add a new home point without loosing your position on the map. That would make the funciton useless, thats why i think your position will be kept when setting a new home point with the app.
It was more of a hypothetical question, since I have a GPS enabled device, and don't have a need for a dynamic home point. But for someone that want's to be able to change their home point without GPS in their device, they would be in for a pretty big surprise when they can't find their bird in relation to their position, and we'd have yet another "phantom flew away" thread. If anyone knows, I'd like to hear how it works. Otherwise I will disable GPS this weekend and report back.

OK.. to shoot all this back and forth garbage to a rest I will set up an example...

Me and my buddies are out screwing around on the sand dunes. Jumps, rooster tails.. all that good schmit! Obviously there is a lot of great opportunities for video and photos. Some that would far to dangerous to do in person as well. So while out racing across the desert Im flying and we decide to stop and eat. My original home point, where I powered up the Phantom, is a mile away. OBVIOUSLY I dont want it to fly back a mile if the battery goes tits up. GPS on the tablet and setting the home point to the transmitter ALWAYS takes the Phantom back to me! Yes.. You would likely want some form of data connection for map updates. But if you obviously already have data on your phone then WTF would you pay to have it on a tablet as well?

I read what you said, and I addressed it perfectly. Not.. the app does not use any GPS data from the Phantom except to show you where the drone is. The app uses GPS for several features such as setting RTH to the transmitter location, and follow me... As has been mentioned already. It also uses table GPS to show where YOU are so if, in the event of a crash, you can navigate YOURSELF to the Phantoms last know location. Anything else?
not really, i answered to a total different guy who said he gets 14-17 stats everytime with his P3.

What? Where do you think those 14-17 sats came from? From the internal Phantom3 GPS modul, not from the tablet or remote. Thats why i explained it to the guy. With a tablet with GPS you wont get more sats at all. All this tablet need GPS babble is only important for ppl who walk around during the flights.

So you are in the desert, start your phantom and walk or drive a mile and then decide to eat something with your friends while your Phantom is still in the air ? Yes, i guess in this case it does make sense but i would say most ppl wont do such things. You could always land the Phantom manually and set a new home point. Im not sure but i think the app even offers a new icon set new homepoint, never tested it. I guess the new home point can be set where the Phantom is right now.

It was more of a hypothetical question, since I have a GPS enabled device, and don't have a need for a dynamic home point. But for someone that want's to be able to change their home point without GPS in their device, they would be in for a pretty big surprise when they can't find their bird in relation to their position, and we'd have yet another "phantom flew away" thread. If anyone knows, I'd like to hear how it works. Otherwise I will disable GPS this weekend and report back.
My P3 is at the service center cause of teh jello problem. There is a new icon since the last app ios update for setting a new home point. Im not sure if you need a GPS tablet for that or the new home point uses just the actual Phantom3 position as the new home point. If so than its all good.

My P3 is at the service center cause of teh jello problem. There is a new icon since the last app ios update for setting a new home point. Im not sure if you need a GPS tablet for that or the new home point uses just the actual Phantom3 position as the new home point. If so than its all good.
You can set it to use the bird, or the device (for dynamic home point).

ok, I have the cellular version of Ipad Air, how do it tether it to my P3P, I want it to follow me? Also, what happens if my Ipad gets a call?

It's not the phones gps at all, the phantom marks its home point and stored in the phantom, not the phone. And even reports how many satellites the phantom is receiving. So when it returns home it's not using the phones gps, but the home point gps where the phantom marked its home point. Nothing to do with the phone, unless you use follow me function when available and even the can get around the situation if you have the wifi version only by teithering your phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Otis
No Denodan... You can not "get around the situation if you have the wifi version only by tethering your phone." Wifi does NOT contain gps data. Tethering does NOT contain GPS data. Bluetooth does NOT contain GPS data

Was looking around the Internet. If in time you need gps there are external and even blutooth hardware add ons. So it's possible to get gps with just the wifi version. Sure maybe cheaper just to buy the cellular one, but if you only got the wifi versuon at least with a wifi add on you can get gps.

Having the GPS in the IPad also allows the Pilot app to show the position and orientation of the remote, a really nice feature.

So... In summary, a cellular enabled tablet allows one to take advantage of using the remote as a home point, shows orientation animation of the remote in the app, and allows the follow me feature ( I didn't know this was useable yet).

Have I missed anything?

Thanks,
Mark.

What happens if you have no signal? Was in a remote location today and couldn't acquire GPS. A cool feature would be to zoom in and select a home point on the map regardless of GPS.
That was my first idea. We had to film industrial video in the desert where is no nothing, no cell, no wi-fi, no water even. Plus the idea, that I will receive a phone call during flight make me think that I do not need cell ipad for sure. I bought mini 3 with 16gb no cell and super happy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie