I bought a P4

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After a bit of reading I decided to create an account since I just ordered a P4.

I started out flying single rotor helicopter for quite some time and after that I build and flew a lot of multirotors for both FPV flying and aerial work. Since building, setting up, tuning etc. takes a lot of time I decided to sell all stuff and go for the P4. Hopefully it works like it should. I´ve been holding off DJI for a long while because of the bad reviews, but since I got pretty sick of building, tuning and so on I bit the bullet, I just wanna go and film:).

A couple of questions:
- Is there any firmware I should avoid?
- Can I enable the RTH switch when flying in atti mode? I think I will mostly be flying in atti mode, because I'm not sure if I can trust the GPS and I'm used to manual modes.
- I have a Samsung S4, it's not officially supported, but is a phone big enough to see stuff on?
- Is there any lag on the live feed?
- Thinking of buying the DJI care 1 year plan as well (pff, adds up), are there any people that were forced to make use of there DJI care? If so, how was the experience?

See ya!:)

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! And, excellent choice on your new quadcopter :)

To answer your questions above:

Is there any firmware I should avoid?
No. And, the current firmware is stable.

Can I enable the RTH switch when flying in atti mode?
Yes. It'll still work in ATTI mode as long as your Phantom is connected to 6+ satellites.

I have a Samsung S4, it's not officially supported, but is a phone big enough to see stuff on?
That's about the same size as my iPhone 6s (which I sometimes use). It'll do the job, I prefer a device closer to the size of an iPad Mini 4.

Is there any lag on the live feed?
That mostly depends on the speed and/or resources available on your mobile device. Slower devices lag more.

Reactions: liketogethigh
Not to go off topic but what is the point of Atti mode? I don't know of a time I would ever use it...

what is the point of Atti mode?
You might want to fly without VPS. Or, perhaps you want your Phantom to drift with the wind to get a smooth shot. I'm sure people use it in other scenarios too.

It's important to understand how to control your Phantom while it's in ATTI mode. If your Phantom ever has a poor GPS connection, it'll auto switch to ATTI mode. And, if you're not sure how to control your Phantom in that mode, you could easily land in a tree, crash into some other nearby obstacle, or even lose your Phantom as it drifts away in a strong wind.

- I have a Samsung S4, it's not officially supported, but is a phone big enough to see stuff on?
Only problem I see is that the S4 might be a little too slow to handle good streams. YMMV though.

You might want to fly without VPS. Or, perhaps you want your Phantom to drift with the wind to get a smooth shot. I'm sure people use it in other scenarios too.

It's important to understand how to control your Phantom while it's in ATTI mode. If your Phantom ever has a poor GPS connection, it'll auto switch to ATTI mode. And, if you're not sure how to control your Phantom in that mode, you could easily land in a tree, crash into some other nearby obstacle, or even lose your Phantom as it drifts away in a strong wind.

It depends on the shot style I want, but I mainly want to prevent a flyaway.

I'm used to flying in manual modes and correct the copter myself and I just want to keep myself trained in flying manually since it makes me a better pilot!:)

Believe me, you will be impressed with the GPS mode on the P4.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It depends on the shot style I want, but I mainly want to prevent a flyaway.

I'm used to flying in manual modes and correct the copter myself and I just want to keep myself trained in flying manually since it makes me a better pilot!:)
you will use gps more than Atti trust me and dont let bad hype put you off, a fly away? then switch in into atti if something goes wrong, but ive been flying 4 years and never had a flyaway as most are user error.
if gps is lost it auto switches to atti anyway.. and because you have experience in multi rotors you just gonna love the P4 and if you have any questions no matter how daft they may seem you are welcome to private message me anytime

So I did the first flight yesterday at dawn and it was a good one! The phantom 4 flies nice and smooth. For flying LOS it is so much more relaxed flying having GPS/atti stability as opposed to the rate mode on my other quads. Nice to know that the quad is not going in any direction unless I tell him to.

Looking forward to better weather to test some more and get some footage.

My Samsung S4 does the job, but the lag is too much, think I'm going for a tablet. Everyone seems to be raving about the Shield K1, but not sure if it's big enough for the purpose it's meant for (watching a movie etc.), but I don't want to spend another >350 on a 10 inch tablet.

Hopefully the P4 will keep serving me well in the future:).

BTW: This thing is small!! I always build the quads myself in the past, but this P4 looks so skinny haha.

Hi everyone,

After a bit of reading I decided to create an account since I just ordered a P4.

I started out flying single rotor helicopter for quite some time and after that I build and flew a lot of multirotors for both FPV flying and aerial work. Since building, setting up, tuning etc. takes a lot of time I decided to sell all stuff and go for the P4. Hopefully it works like it should. I´ve been holding off DJI for a long while because of the bad reviews, but since I got pretty sick of building, tuning and so on I bit the bullet, I just wanna go and film:).

A couple of questions:
- Can I enable the RTH switch when flying in atti mode? I think I will mostly be flying in atti mode, because I'm not sure if I can trust the GPS and I'm used to manual modes.
- Thinking of buying the DJI care 1 year plan as well (pff, adds up), are there any people that were forced to make use of there DJI care? If so, how was the experience?

I advice you to go to YouTube and watch everything about P4,
Check this channel in YouTube/ Toms tech time

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi everyone,

A couple of questions:
No, not that I can tell. It won't let you fly without all the updated firmwares anyway I believe so not really an option.

This is not a racer. I would get used to flying with GPS if you are going to be using it for photgraphy. The last thing you want to do is have a constant concern as to where your bird is. One of the reasons of owning a thing like this is because of all the automation. Using it only in ATTI mode relieves it of a lot of the usage.

I can't answer this with any authority. I would use something stronger than the S4 personally though. Aren't we on the S7 already?

Yes but it's measured in milliseconds.

I bought the DJI Care, not sure if I should have yet or not. It doesn't really give me the peace of mind I would have liked for some reason. I have never crashed a real bird but I have always felt comfortable that they would fix anything as this used to be their motif.

Happy flying!

I always say avoid all new firmware, but then again there is always disagreement

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav