I bit the bullet and bought a Phantom 3 extended warranty

Reaction score
I debated whether the money was worth it, but I think it is (https://www.neary-aerial.com). So I bought the warranty. It cost $239 for the gold plan, which is a lot of money, but basically, for the price, for a year, they will fix it whenever it breaks. They'll ship it free to their repair place, there's no deductible, and if you crash multiple times, it is still covered. If you don't crash it the first year, you get a 50% discount the 2nd year, so it's $120. Crashing the cam/gimbal and breaking it just once will cost me over $500. Plus, it's just a lot more enjoyable to fly and not feel the constant stress of "don't crash it, don't crash it, don't crash it."

The basic plan is $50 cheaper but you have to pay $75 deductible each time you crash and pay for shipping.

What do you all think?

I think he is going to go out of business if he has customers who crash often...

Reactions: Dronebow
If you buy with AMEX your purchase includes a 1 year extended warranty and you get 90 days of accidental damage with full reimbursement. There are other perks too.

Personally, I don't buy these warranties. They have been more a hassel when I have in the past for other things. I can afford to replace things though and have a fix it mentality. Most always I take care of my own stuff if I break it. But if it gives you piece of mind, go for it. It's only money. (which will probably be worth less next year with inflation)

I debated whether the money was worth it, but I think it is (https://www.neary-aerial.com). So I bought the warranty. It cost $239 for the gold plan, which is a lot of money, but basically, for the price, for a year, they will fix it whenever it breaks. They'll ship it free to their repair place, there's no deductible, and if you crash multiple times, it is still covered. If you don't crash it the first year, you get a 50% discount the 2nd year, so it's $120. Crashing the cam/gimbal and breaking it just once will cost me over $500. Plus, it's just a lot more enjoyable to fly and not feel the constant stress of "don't crash it, don't crash it, don't crash it."

The basic plan is $50 cheaper but you have to pay $75 deductible each time you crash and pay for shipping.

What do you all think?
I too bit the bullet and bought the gold plan from Neary. I have an advanced, so the price was $189. It makes me really nervous to give so much money to a company that is so new, but I guess somebody has to be the pioneer. I also NEVER buy extended warranty plans for ANYTHING, but something about a drone just makes me think it makes sense.

Hani does the repairs for that company -- and, he's known for good repair work. So, he does have that going for him :)

If you buy with AMEX your purchase includes a 1 year extended warranty and you get 90 days of accidental damage with full reimbursement. There are other perks too.
I never knew that about AMEX. So if something you buy is damaged within the 90 days do you contact AMEX to file a claim?

Yes. They paid for my rotorpixel when my P2V flew away. The P2V was already out of the 90 day period or it would have been covered too.

Personally, I don't buy these warranties. They have been more a hassel when I have in the past for other things. I can afford to replace things though and have a fix it mentality. Most always I take care of my own stuff if I break it. But if it gives you piece of mind, go for it. It's only money. (which will probably be worth less next year with inflation)

Sure. I can order a $550 replacement gimbal and fix it myself. But.... that's $550. I love fixing myself, but it's a money issue.

Reactions: tcope
If it wasn't for that darn fragile looking gimbal I don't think I would care about a warranty like this. But, that thing with its exposed little ribbon cable is just looking for a reason to break. And, it costs almost half the cost of the entire Phantom if it breaks. And... it's not like there is a separate camera to take over if that breaks. You lose your entire video feed!

I think he is going to go out of business if he has customers who crash often...

Fortunately, he insures not just crash-prone, novice Phantom owners, but other UAV's.

Really thinking about purchasing coverage, so it covers normal wear tear, does it cover crashes from mishaps?

I'll just mention that I think a mistake he's making is offering the coverage at any time. I understand there is a "15 waiting period". Still, someone could crash their Phantom, get the policy, wait 15 days and then lie about the date of the crash.

Here's the deal as well. Keep in kind outside of a user responsible crash DJi already warranties some of the items on a P3 for a year. So if you have a issue you'll just send it into DJi. You'd be paying twice for the additional warranty. Just something to consider.

But if you crash it by accident, you're completely out of luck. Just yesterday I did a fast flyby at 47mph. I am always careful but didn't see the telephone pole in the middle of the park holding up a light. I came within a foot of it. DJI wouldn't have covered that crash.

I like the idea, and have no doubt that considering some of the experienced members here trust them that they are above board.... but there's simply no details on the site, no terms, no contract. Requires a leap of faith and would be interesting to see in a fatal crash which bits were and were not covered.

I'd love to insure my drone in some way, given the nature of them, but I don't know I could be confident enough to jump at this. Moot point for me I suppose being from outside the US anyhow.

But if you crash it by accident, you're completely out of luck. Just yesterday I did a fast flyby at 47mph. I am always careful but didn't see the telephone pole in the middle of the park holding up a light. I came within a foot of it. DJI wouldn't have covered that crash.

Yes user responsible crash I can see. But the company doesn't state that they cover the camera just the gimbal. DJi isn't just going to sell a gimbal without the camera.

So you crash your P3 and what happens with that insurance? They offer to replace your gimbal with a gimbal + camera but you pay for the camera out of pocket, maybe 50% of the cost of the gimbal + camera part from DJi ($350)? Or the insurance company says DJi only sells the two together so you have to pay for the whole part ($700) as only the gimbal is insured? This is not clear and would need to be in order for me to sign up.

Yes user responsible crash I can see. But the company doesn't state that they cover the camera just the gimbal. DJi isn't just going to sell a gimbal without the camera.

So you crash your P3 and what happens with that insurance? They offer to replace your gimbal with a gimbal + camera but you pay for the camera out of pocket, maybe 50% of the cost of the gimbal + camera part from DJi ($350)? Or the insurance company says DJi only sells the two together so you have to pay for the whole part ($700) as only the gimbal is insured? This is not clear and would need to be in order for me to sign up.
The integrated camera is listed in the contract for the P3. You are probably reading the old contract for something with a GoPro attached. Hopefully I never have to use it but if so I will post my results.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31