I am trying to decide about a purchase...

Reaction score
...I recently crashed my P2+. It was a mistake on my part, not the Phantom. The camera was trashed, I am not sure it can be repaired. The cost of a new 3 axis gimble is $670.00 from Amazon. The cost of a Phantom 2, with a single axis gimble is $799.00. So for another $120.00 I can purchase a whole new flying machine. I am trying to decide. If I pay the extra $$ I will have another Phantom with a battery and all the support devices. But I will still have a broken P2+. ( with 2 battery,s) I am not sure I really need the 3 axis gimble, I am not a professional photographer, just a hobbyist. I have tried to buy a used P2+ on Ebay and have gotten outbid 4 times. It seems the going price is around $850.00 for returned units.
I am going back and forth. Can anyone give me some sage advice?

Thanks, Lanny

Have you ever thought of going down the gopro path?
I don't own any Go pros yet, but i'm doing a bit of research as I'm not happy with the video quality.

$950-1000 for phantom 2 with H3-3D (the gimbal is 300-400 alone).
IOSD for telemetry = $80
AVL58 for FPV = $80
And a screen = $100-$300 depending on brand.
Misc parts = FPV/IOSD holder+battery for screen = $40

Go pro 3+/4 Black editions $400-600. You can use this for other activities so it shouldn't be included. The only let down is the inability to take stills or change settings in flight.
I haven't read into it, but you can use the smart phone on the black editions to make changes to camera in flight. I'm not sure on distance or whether its Bluetooth or wifi. If its wifi, then it may have a problem and conflict with the 2.4ghz controls.

I was facing almost the same issues trying to get into Phantoms.. I have a few Sony Action Cams and don't need a Go Pro for anything besides ariel shots. Having everything come in one complete package ended up winning me over.. Waypoints.. FPV.. Telemetry.

You could but a new unit and sell off the old "as is" and recoup some $. Bang for the buck, the Vision + still looks good.

Ebay is just annoying for all the "gently used" machines.. Some are sketchy.. None have a warranty.. I've seen too many re-listed after a sale to make me go the dealer route.

On another site I was told that they have made a setup to install on the P2V+ that will enable you to install a gopro? When I first read the post It was a guy who trashed his camera & gimbel and was in the same delimma as others, and asked how he could install the GP. I told him forget it not going happen! I was corrected by several members that there was a system now made in production that let you install a gp on the P2V+, but it just was not a available yet....
Anyone else up to speed on this? Ive been out of touch with the intel it seems!
Moose

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan