I am so baffled...and amazed by technology

Reaction score
I've had my new Standard over a month now, and my even more new Advanced for a couple weeks. Both never fail to amaze me. I am just so...awed by this technology.

Just under a year ago I got my first quad, the P1. I was thoroughly amazed then. It cost $350 and I already had a Hero3 black, so it was perfect. I've been through so much with my P1 which is still fully operational and ready to fly(but I never fly it anymore). I quickly bought a cheap chinese gimbal for it, and had to research to find the simplebgc gui software just to calibrate the gimbal which was very faulty. I finally got the cheap gimbal to work somewhat after what seemed like hours working with the software. Just a month or so after I got it all working good and level, one night I was experimenting in the gui software and I literally just barely touched the leads from the second connector on the battery backwards, and pooooof...a plume of smoke and a dead gimbal.

So then I ordered a Walkera G2d which was quite an upgrade... but I soon wanted pitch control from the controller, which ultimately led to me buying 2 sets of precision screwdrivers to get the tiny screws out from each arm, which turned out to be the wrong kind. After all 4 screws had been stripped, I was pissed as I started chugging beers, and I just carelessly dremeled/drilled out the tiny screws. It ended up totally successful, and I ordered an entire new screw set, which had every set of screws imaginable for the P1. I finally got the pitch control wired up, and while I was at it I gorilla glued the horrible spiderweb crack in one of the arms under the motor. I finally had pitch control for the gopro which ended up pretty much okay, except when rolling forward the gimbal would tilt up uncontrollably. I spent a lot of money and time on my P1...

And now I have two P3s...and I can't believe all the time I spent on the P1. I don't regret it at all of course, but now when I look at the P1 forums I'm like...just buy a P3. I was about to order a Walkera G3d and then I realized nah, I'm not putting another dime into the P1.

I understand working on a P1 though and trying to bring it farther than its original potential. It was very satisfying for me once I finally got the pitch control working after I stripped all the screws.

The P3 is truly an amazing machine and so simple to setup. I feel like the P1 trained me well. Now my two P3s are like a blessing. But I will never forget my P1.

I saw now on amazon those quarter size quadcopters have cameras now. This technology...is insane... This is available to us... what does the Gov't/military have? Insect size drones with "4 axis" gimbals probably, and 50 mile range with 5 hour battery life I'm sure(jk)..but who knows?

Try these little nano mosquito drones -

What amazes me even more is that so few other people are amazed. I'm standing there with my jaw hangin' open and others just shrug and walk away. I don't get it.
Marknmd, you are so right. Until I got my P3S I just watched others play with their toy quadcopters. I didn't realize just how technical and advanced they really are. After flying mine I have the jaw-dropping result also. Modern technology I suppose. But, when I was growing up( I'm still just a big kid) we had no computers or cell phones, black and white TV with only three channels, and my bicycle was the most technical thing I owned as a kid. And now today look at all the goodies we 'kids' have. .........wonder what we'll have tomorrow ?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I feel like we've seen just the tip of the iceberg. Its a bit frightening to be honest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20