I am shocked!

Reaction score
Well, I did it. After about 20 flights........it crashed in the water.

I was flying it and it was acting weird, took it back down to me and it crashed into a tree and landed in the water (fresh, not salt). I jumped in and it was in there for about 5 seconds. I took the battery out and starting blowing out all of the water. It was acting weird and wifi wouldn't connect. Took it to a compressor and blew it out there as well. I then took the top off and submerged it in rice (this was after about 5 hours). I let it sit for about 12 hours and it is back, alive and kicking! I took it out today and tested it for 22 minutes and I was amazed! I know that I am very lucky but I do have to say that I am impressed. Just wanted to share my disaster :shock: /success :D

No idea. I had green blinking lights so I had GPS. Something had to interfere with it somehow cause it just went weird after about 5 minutes. Looked back at the video and it cut off 30 seconds before it crashed. Still has me stumped

That's a **** shame. Glad it sounds like its airworthy again though. Maybe some type of signal interference?

If you can, I'd get a big box, put the Phantom in it, cover it in white rice, seal it up airtight and let it set for 3 days or so.

Open the top cover and inspect.
If there are signs of liquid ingression, use methylated spirits clean and let dry.
Grease the motors to prevent rust. Critical.
While you are there, do the foil mod to get faster and accurate GPS locks.
I'm not made of money, but I would purchase another unit and have that one as spare parts or back up.
There is high chance of failure after a swim. If its a mobile phone, I wouldn't careless, but a flying 1.5kg electric lawnmower...

Sounds good and thank you for the advice, I will do that tomorrow. I was going to check to see where I can get that foil from....

Jeffin916 said:
Well, I did it. After about 20 flights........it crashed in the water.

I was flying it and it was acting weird, took it back down to me and it crashed into a tree and landed in the water (fresh, not salt). I jumped in and it was in there for about 5 seconds. I took the battery out and starting blowing out all of the water. It was acting weird and wifi wouldn't connect. Took it to a compressor and blew it out there as well. I then took the top off and submerged it in rice (this was after about 5 hours). I let it sit for about 12 hours and it is back, alive and kicking! I took it out today and tested it for 22 minutes and I was amazed! I know that I am very lucky but I do have to say that I am impressed. Just wanted to share my disaster :shock: /success :D

Wow, I am very happy to hear that your quad seems to not be damaged from a crash into water. Being that just to crash can be a real bummer but to crash into water has to be the worst. But it seems your fast response and efforts paid off. Good job and congratulations.

Jeffin916 said:
Sounds good and thank you for the advice, I will do that tomorrow. I was going to check to see where I can get that foil from....

Just use cooking foil and tape.
All we are doing is shielding the electronics to stop electronic interference to the GPS.
Aluminium foil is conductive so you don't want that to touch the electronics on the phantom side. That's where the tape comes into play.
Makes sense?

Mako79 said:
Just use cooking foil and tape.
All we are doing is shielding the electronics to stop electronic interference to the GPS.

Copper is slightly better, but all you really need is to do a few layers of either for best results. Thin layer of a 'faraday' cage will block higher signals, more layers of the 'cage' will block the lower side of emissions.

Jeffin916 said:
Ant hardware store sells it. It's for sealing duct work. It's aluminum tape.

Glad your bird survived but I'm sure it will take a while to build confidence in it again......fingers crossed.

Strange that the video stopped recording before in crashed?

Mori55 said:
Jeffin916 said:
I bought Aluclad which comes in a roll and is adhesive.

"Foil Mod" - where is more info??

vortigern said:
Mori55 said:
Jeffin916 said:
I bought Aluclad which comes in a roll and is adhesive.

Hey guys... i've never heard of the "foil mod" before the mentions in this post. I'm sure there are posts on it but searching I couldn't find any. Can someone point me there, or explain in more detail???

Thanks

JB

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik