I am ready for my first flight!

Reaction score
Hastings, Minnesota and Palm Springs, California
I have my Quadcopter (Phantom 3 Advanced) being delivered tomorrow.

I have a Micro SD card loaded with the latest Firmware .Bin.

I am ready to Calibrate the Compass.

I have read the manuals several times and watched numerous videos. I will exercise all caution and hope to be able to take off and return home without going too far away...very close in line of sight.

I do have one question. Do I need to update the IMU? I am not really sure what the IMU is or does. Does the Pilot app tell you if it needs to be updated?

Reactions: D4T_PoM
Hi,

I'm a newbie too, I did not do the IMU calibration on my P3 when I bought it 2 and a bit weeks ago, I count myself lucky as my birds flying good and stable and have had no issue's as of now whatsoever, also had the 1.3.20 firmware pre-installed from factory (strange as it only came out last week).

DJI supply the P3 with a Lexar 633x Micro SDHC 16GB

I took the P3 out from the box, checked battery levels for the bird and controller, put the batteries on charge (wait was immense as waiting for the controller to fully charge took ages - well to me it seemed like ages lol)

Once they were fully charged I took the bird out, did the calibration and took her up to hover about 2-3 meters above the ground and checked out all controls and made sure all was OK with DJI Pilot app and then took the bird higher to comfortability zone.

I also kept the beginner mode on which I advise you to use until your are comfortable with it to be taken off.

I'm practising to fly on ATTI Mode too (this should be your next step) just to be on the safe side, going through posts on the forum re: ATTI Mode like mad and trying to get more and more knowledge about flying in that mode.

I'm waiting for the winds to settle in London so I can fly further on ATTI mode.

I have had a few flights and done some photo shots and filming at friends wedding but would not get close to some of the members of this forum, I tip my hat to them, without them and all the information on here I probably would have lost my P3 by now.

But make sure you do all pre-flight checks which I obviously missed out on IMU being one but I'm following the motto 'if it works fine and ain't broke, don't fix it'

I have also today updated to the DJI Go app (Android version) DJI Pilot app kept crashing after 3-6 minutes of use and would scare the S*#@ out of me on my Note 4 especially when I do not know the orientation of the P3 but luckily Home feature has helped me out a lot and has brought the P3 back always, hopefully its better then the Pilot app and does not bug out.

Good luck and make sure you post pics and vids.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm a newbie too, I did ndo do the IMU calibration on my P3 when I bought it 2 and a bit weeks ago, I count myself lucky as my birds flying good and stable), also had the 1.3.20 firmware pre-installed from factory (strange as it only came out last week).

DJI supply the P3 with a Lexar 633x Micro SDHC 16GB

I took the P3 out from the box, checked battery levels for the bird and controller, put the batteries on charge (wait was immense as waiting for the controller to fully charge took ages - well to me it seemed like ages Lol)

Once they were fully charged I took the bird out, did the calibration and took her up to hover about 2-3 meters above the ground and checked out all controls and made sure all was OK with DJI Pilot app and then took the bird higher to comfortability zone.

I also kept the beginner mode on which I advise you to use until your are comfortable with it to be taken off.

I'm practising to fly on ATTI Mode too (this should be your next step) just to be on the safe side, going through posts on the forum re: ATTI Mode like mad and trying to get more and more knowledge about flying in that mode.

I'm waiting for the winds to settle in London so I can fly further on ATTI mode.

I have had a few flights and done some photo shots and filming at friends wedding but would not get close to some of the members of this forum, I tip my hat to them, without them and all the information on here I probably would have lost my P3 by now.

Good luck and make sure you post pics and vids.

Thanks! My family is from Godmanchester if you ever film over there send me a link.

I hope we both have fun with this adventure!

Tom

Reactions: D4T_PoM
Haven't calibrated IMU on mine. Don't really want to after reading horror stories.

ive got 30 flights in, and 60k ft of flying, only on my 5th day, and the very first thing i did when i unboxed my P3P was charge all batteries, UPDATE FIRMWARE, then UPDATE IMU AND GIMBAL. my experiece was seamless.

just sharing my thoughts.

Definately, if I go round there or Huntingdon I shall do Sir, do travel a lot over the country when I get the chance.

Enjoy your P3 as it is a hell of a thrill to fly.

Well today I received my P3A. I calibrated, updated acquired,read, paid attention and made four take offs and landings (all handcatches).

Wow! So cool I even bright her home with no issues.

Many many more to come...

It's raining down here in London otherwise would of taken the P3 out for a spin :(

Can't wait till tomorrow now lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan