Hypothetical Flight in Airport Radius(Asking Permission)

Reaction score
So let me begin by saying that my intention is always to enhance this hobby with safety and to promote it to the public in a positive light. I always consult my Do Not Fly map before taking off to make sure I am out of the radius of the airport.

I have been told that you can call the control tower or ATC to announce your plans to fly within this 5 mile radius. What is the protocol for doing so? I assume you would need to provide your time of flight, highest altitude, and latitude and longitude, as well as flight duration. Has anyone done this? What was your experience?

Again this is purely hypothetical on my part. I only want to educate myself on this.

Thank you

I sometimes fly at a park 3.7 miles from a local uncontrolled airport (no tower). I email the airport manager as required with times of operation, coordinates, and max altitude. The location is nowhere near the traffic pattern or published IFR approach. Haven't dealt with FAA staff, though.

Reactions: stephen.houser1
I called the tower manager and left my name/number. Got a response with the ok to fly the next day. My situation is a little different as I live on the edge of the 5 mile radius and like to fly in a neighborhood park. They gave me a general good to go for flight in the area. However I keep the altitude to 200ft just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: stephen.houser1
I called the tower manager and left my name/number. Got a response with the ok to fly the next day. My situation is a little different as I live on the edge of the 5 mile radius and like to fly in a neighborhood park. They gave me a general good to go for flight in the area. However I keep the altitude to 200ft just to be on the safe side.
All you have to do is notify them, you do not need their approval.

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj