Hydro Rates. How much are you paying per KW.

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity how much are people paying where you live.

To keep it simple. I take the total of the bill. Doesn't matter how they get to the final number. Includes tax,hydro, delivery charges, what ever.

Total Bill / KiloWatts = cost per KW.

I live in Ontario Canada
My last bill was $196.27 / 723.7KW = .27 So that is 27 cents per KW.

Just out of curiosity how much are people paying where you live.

To keep it simple. I take the total of the bill. Doesn't matter how they get to the final number. Includes tax,hydro, delivery charges, what ever.

Total Bill / KiloWatts = cost per KW.

I live in Ontario Canada
My last bill was $196.27 / 723.7KW = .27 So that is 27 cents per KW.

For me, in South Florida, USA, the last bill was $113.88 for 1068 kWh, equaling 10.6 cents per kWh. (avg. 34 kWh/day)

Thanks NO17RW.
I am running this thread on another forum. But someone quickly hijacked the thread.

I was merely trying to establish a cost per KW for different areas from your local utility.
This cannot be done by looking it up as utility companies have different components to the bill.

But the bottom line is

Total cost on bill divided by KW usage = cost per KW.

Results so far

In Ontario Canada we pay 27 cents
In Hocking Hills US they pay 10.7 cents
In Florida US they pay 10.6 cents

Thanks NO17RW.
I am running this thread on another forum. But someone quickly hijacked the thread.

I was merely trying to establish a cost per KW for different areas from your local utility.
This cannot be done by looking it up as utility companies have different components to the bill.

But the bottom line is

Total cost on bill divided by KW usage = cost per KW.

Results so far

Sure. I find it interesting. Too bad others haven't yet. Especially ones on other continents.

Thanks Magnus

Results so far

Western Wisconsin. $0.12/kwh

Results so far

Western Wisconsin. $0.12/kwh
Long Island, NY .19/kwh

It was 115* yesterday and we keep our house at 79*
Our bill was $100 more a month until we changed to a 17.5 seer a/c system

DELIVERY SERVICES Customer Charge 10.00
Delivery Charge 1st 400 kWhs 400.00 @ $0.0193 7.72
Delivery Charge 401-1,000 kWhs 600.00 @ $0.03435 20.61
Delivery Charge- Above 1,000 kWhs 1,114.00 @ $0.038499 42.89
Transmission Cost Adjustor- kWh 2,114.00 @ $0.00288 6.09
POWER SUPPLY CHARGES Base Power Supply Charge kWh 2,114.00 @ $0.06451 136.37 PPFAC - kWh 2,114.00 @ $-0.000524 1.11 CR
GREEN ENERGY CHARGES Renewable Energy Standard Tariff 3.30
DSM Surcharge - kWh 2,114.00 @ $0.0015 3.17
LFCR EE 0.9394% of $222.57 2.09 LFCR DG 0.2424% of $222.57 0.54
TAXES AND ASSESSMENTS
State Sales Tax 13.00
County Sales Tax 0.58 RUCO Assessment 0.02 ACC Assessment 0.49
TOTAL CURRENT CHARGES - Electric Service 245.76

Where in U.S.?

I thought I had it in my profile, oops. The heat is getting to me.o_O
Not sure why Canada is up in arms over hydro rates. Everything is expensive there.
I can't afford a case of their beer.
Fortunately most of our neighbors are from Canada and they bring me coffee crisp.:)

It's also a bit hard to devise the cost/kWh. Is it 8.6!!! (2114/245.76)

I don't know.

They change it hourly with their Smartmeters depending on the grid load here in Central CA and what usage tier you are currently in. Never can calculate it off the meter. Even the bill has two payment cycles per month where they make major changes in it. I just figure it will be about $450 per month in summer with a heavy A/C load. Sweet huh? Cheap housing, but utilities are through the roof.

Mack

Don't over-think it.
I'm charged a different rate below a certain usage amount and a bit more after to promote conservation. At the end of the billing cycle don't you know how much kWh you used and how much you were charged?
An average is sufficient. It's just an anecdotal comparison.

Don't over-think it.
I'm charged a different rate below a certain usage amount and a bit more after to promote conservation. At the end of the billing cycle don't you know how much kWh you used and how much you were charged?
An average is sufficient. It's just an anecdotal comparison.

Sorry, I don't know as there isn't anything I can do about it anyway. It might be 12 to 45 cents per KW/hr. depending on load demands during peak and off peak periods. They don't tell me that info as to what time of the day or hour the rate changes. They also blame stuff continuously over the drought, shuttering of atomic plants, pension payouts, grid infrastructure, lawsuits, and now they want to shutter geo-thermal and oil as well and are preparing for another price increase. So call it $500 per month and maybe lock it in at that on a month to month, or perhaps $350/mo. if I were to average it out as my brother has. A lock-in pretty much kills any idea of ones KW/hr. use as they average your annual bill and auto-payment takes over for 12 months.

I've talked with some solar panel people who seem locked in to some 4 cents per KW/hr. that the utility buys from their panel power from them, but they sell it for a lot more, maybe 12 cents per KW/hr. on the low hour/tier/non-peak period and 32 cents on the high. Some bank their solar output sell to them during winter for summer.

If you have a Smartmeter around here, it is all over the board and worse if you have direct deposit as you will never see a bill or understand the printout if you do find one online to view.

Mack

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj