Huh????

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Okay... I'm just a little confused. The AMA said not to register until they told us we should. Now they're saying we should register but now we have the option to use our AMA number rather than the FAA number. So.. I filled out the form tonight and they gave me an FAA number. Instead of being free, it cost me $5.00. Not that $5.00 is a big deal, but what exactly did I gain by waiting for the AMA to give the all clear? Instead of using the FAA number that I just paid for, I can alternately use the AMA number that I've already paid for??? Am I missing something?

Reactions: dirkclod
Okay... I'm just a little confused. The AMA said not to register until they told us we should. Now they're saying we should register but now we have the option to use our AMA number rather than the FAA number. So.. I filled out the form tonight and they gave me an FAA number. Instead of being free, it cost me $5.00. Not that $5.00 is a big deal, but what exactly did I gain by waiting for the AMA to give the all clear? Instead of using the FAA number that I just paid for, I can alternately use the AMA number that I've already paid for??? Am I missing something?

Yep....The old Double Dipping.....

Seriously, they said they would give us back our 5 dollars if we registered before a certain date. A date of which I forgot...LOL
I haven"t heard of anyone getting the 5 dollars back yet. I haven't.

I registered the very first day it was available, and they refunded my $5 yesterday, so you should get it back.

Hope so, they owe for two. I bought my 32 year old son one of these for christmas as well as mine and did all the paperwork for him in advance.

Correction. I just checked my account and both of the refunds are there. Cool beans.

FAA should be FREE until the 21'st. You pay $5, and they refund it to you, let me see where I registered?
I registered here:
[email protected]

It had a long read about anyone registering their UAV before Jan.21'st 2016 pay an initial $5.00 fee, that will be refunded, anyone after jan 21'st $5.00 fee period no refund!

Not sure about the AMA, as I'm not a member, sorry! But from description above, very vague! I bet it is more like if you already have an AMA # you don't need FAA number, or something like that? But could be wrong! They just may have waited too long? I'm sure if you register AMA, they'd almost have communicate with FAA somewhere for it to work either-or like that!
But now I'm just blabbering!

Hope they refund you,good buddy!

J Dot

I believe the AMA said they were working "towards" being able to use a membership number, instead of having to manage 2 separate numbers. I really think the FAA is pretty much ignoring them, though, and they're becoming more irrelevant by the day.

Seriously, they said they would give us back our 5 dollars if we registered before a certain date. A date of which I forgot...LOL
I haven"t heard of anyone getting the 5 dollars back yet. I haven't.
Mine took exactly 10 days to get refunded just like they said which was a big surprise. Being I figured it would be 10 days after hell froze over. or 10 days after the free period ends and was not really expecting or caring if I got it back all to soon. It was def a lot faster then trying to get paid for goverment work which some times can take months.

I believe the AMA said they were working "towards" being able to use a membership number, instead of having to manage 2 separate numbers. I really think the FAA is pretty much ignoring them, though, and they're becoming more irrelevant by the day.

Some thing I was reading the other day from the AMA was saying they have a tentative agreement worked out with the faa to let its members just put there ama numbers on the craft and to just carry there faa reg card with them when flying. So it seems one still had to also register and just can put either nunber on the craft if they are also an ama member.

THo it was a bit hokey that they said its just a tentative agreement. So to me thats not any thing being its not in writing from the faa yet so. Its not going to matter if some one at the faa forgets they made and unkept promises.. Thats like that silly sign in the banks that say some ones account is back by the full faith and credit of the goverment. OH NO thats not saying much at all being It could say backed by the full faith and credit of some crack head on the street would be more reassuring then having to place faith in the goverment.

If I had an ama member ship and also had to register with the faa I would just go with putting the faa number on the craft and then not have to even wonder if I was going to be the first test guinea pig to have to try and go to court and say oh well the AMA said it was ok to not put the faa number on like the faa says we are required to with out any thing to back it up other then saying oh well the ama said that some one at the faa said this or that is not going to cut it in any court of law as a valid excuse if the faa does not codify it and say its ok to do in writing. Plus why have two numbers and have to also carry an faa card with a different reg number then some ones ama number when one will do any way if its the faa number thats used. Its seems that would make things even more confusing if a cop ever says hey is that thing registered and also has his hand out from the faa not saying any thing about being able to use some other number then the faa number. That seems to just be asking for added confusion when cops already arnt the brighest bulbs in the pack a lot of the time anyway and can only go by what they think they are being told as far as enforcement goes. Or what ever the prescribed protocol is on some thing. esp things that are all new to them and not an every day thing they deal with.

Tho thats just my 2 and 1/2 cents on it. even if its not worth any more or less then any one elses 2 and 1/2 cents.

A+
At least it is not anually!
I also checked and money is back, but honestly, I did not mind spending the 5 bucks, either way, enabled me to splurge on some SWEET FAA decals, plus I'm SPECIAL, now, I'm a member of something? Well got a number anyhow!

But
I'm the end, I'm all legal like and what not!

J Dot

A+ guys, did not want to quote you all, but do APPRECIATE, the info, as well as your 2 and a half cents, I like to view things in a neutral sense, and see all sides, helps me to decide where I fit into it all, im kinda new to the legal end of this hobby, but I was upset to find, you had to be an actual pilot, to get a certification to fly drones commercially! Is this true, or did I understand it wrong? But that so far would be my only ( AW BUMMER ) complaint!

Love the members here, you guys/gals are the BEST!

J Dot
As always, Take care, Fly safe!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1