Huge quality difference between Advanced and Professional even when scaled down ?

Given the spate of recent deliveries and the overpowering desire to unpack, charge and fly, then film and post the result online, I do wonder just how many 'bad' examples may be due to a failure to remove the protective plastic film from the lens. I mean, it is an easy enough mistake to make, and having done so, how many would actually admit to it?

arnt 4k files huge and take a long time to edit etc then you would need a 4k tv to get the real bebefit for it. For now the advanced seems more than adequete but for future proof the 4k would be an investment but by then there will probably be the p4 or 5 out!!

Given the spate of recent deliveries and the overpowering desire to unpack, charge and fly, then film and post the result online, I do wonder just how many 'bad' examples may be due to a failure to remove the protective plastic film from the lens. I mean, it is an easy enough mistake to make, and having done so, how many would actually admit to it?

Certainly possible, and I admit I may not have noticed. I think also that some pilots don't give enough consideration to the lighting and appropriate camera settings to capture the best quality image. Just my opinion as I know there are many very experienced photographers/videographers in this forum...

Hard to say no to what amounts to a $250 4K camera if you're already buying the P3...

The Advanced is perfectly good for me! Spending more money for nominal gain is not for me....2 more batteries makes more sense than any slight differences between the Pro and Advanced - just sayin...

If I had the processing horsepower and a 4K tv I would have went for the P3P no question. Majority of us just don't have the means to properly enjoy full 4k yet.

Majority of us just don't have the means to properly enjoy full 4k yet.

I don't either, but I can tell you that the 4k out of the P3P viewed on a 1080p display is remarkably good (especially when you consider the size of the camera and platform).

I had never realized how bad Youtube can destroy a video until I saw my native 1080p export on the same TV as my Youtube 1080p. Youtube is so bad it's to the point where it's almost useless to compare the Advanced with the Professional.

Yeah ideally you would want to compare the raw footage side by side. Youtube shreds quality so bad.

I have a question about still photography if I may.
I do mainly still photography of waterfront homes using my P2 with GP 3+ Black.
Would a frame grab from a 4K video be as good or better than a 12mp still shot?

4k video should look like 8mp, but it will be worse because of compression, but not much worse, maybe 6mp equiv, so u get half of what a 12mp looks like...

A 4k extracted still is good (I think it's better than any GoPro jpg because it lacks the distortion and has much less edge softness). A DNG still from the P3 is very good.

It's impossible to shoot in direct (overhead) sunlight without blowing the highlights unless you stop down a bit. The P3's camera just doesn't have that much dynamic range. However, the Pilot app does allow for automatic exposure bracketing which helps if you're shooting something stationary like waterfront homes. Your life is easier if you time your shots to not have any moving traffic or pedestrians or the like in the bracketed photos (it's just makes merging them easier).

I'm *really* looking forward to having some Neutral Density filters for the P3. They'll help with video, sure, but they'll also allow higher shutter speeds without blowing highlights.

ebfoxbat,

Thank you for the post. I have ordered the P3P and am guessing about a week and a half.
Are you saying that automatic exposure is similar to HDR in that it takes 3 pics and combines them?
That would be great as I have had issues with the GoPro on the 2 and had to do a good bit of post to get exposure correct.
Most of the waterfront stills I do there is no car or people movement but there is always some small wave movement so I guess they would be blurred to some extent.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj