Howdy from Virginia Beach, VA!

Reaction score
Howdy Folks!
I'm brandy new at the Drone hobby. Looking forward to having fun, and learning. Finally I might have a hobby that my wife enjoys as well. She is a REALTOR, and I convinced her that we need one to take vids and pics of her listings. I know I need a commercial license and insurance for this, but I need to recreationally learn how to use it first. We picked up a DJI Phantom 3 Standard at BestBuy a couple days ago. I've only had it out once. managed to NOT crash it.
It's going to take a little to learn how to shoot video at the same time as flying it.

Looking forward to reading a bunch here!

Thanks!
WBrian

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Reactions: Wbrian
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Howdy Folks!
I'm brandy new at the Drone hobby. Looking forward to having fun, and learning. Finally I might have a hobby that my wife enjoys as well. She is a REALTOR, and I convinced her that we need one to take vids and pics of her listings. I know I need a commercial license and insurance for this, but I need to recreationally learn how to use it first. We picked up a DJI Phantom 3 Standard at BestBuy a couple days ago. I've only had it out once. managed to NOT crash it.
It's going to take a little to learn how to shoot video at the same time as flying it.

Looking forward to reading a bunch here!

Thanks!
WBrian
Welcome! Feel free to ask questions.
Have you registered the drone with the FAA, as required?
sUAS Registration
Are you familiar with the FAA Guidelines for Recreational Drone usage?
Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Thank you for the links. Yes, I have registered my drone. I read a lot of the regulations prior to purchase. Want to use it to play for a while prior to going for my commercial license. But more reading is good!

thanks again!
W.Brian

Thank you for the links. Yes, I have registered my drone. I read a lot of the regulations prior to purchase. Want to use it to play for a while prior to going for my commercial license. But more reading is good!

thanks again!
W.Brian

Good for you, buddy.
Here is a link to the airspace around you. VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts
Among a lot of other Airspace things going on there, you have a very interesting Restricted Airspace called R-6606 at the beach area near you. This is controlled airspace with NO ENTRY from Surface to 51,000 MSL, (unusual), during it's active hours. Feel free to ask questions.

See the following note:

R-6606 Dam Neck Range

R-6606 is special surface and airspace extending from inland eastward to the three NMI territorial limit, located approximately five NMI east of the NAS Oceana TACAN, Channel 113, bearing 110°. R-6606 extends from the surface up to FL510. Air-to-air exercises using live ordnance and air-to-surface exercises using MK 76 or MK 106 practice bombs and inert 2.75-inch Folding Fin Aerial Rocket (FFAR) are authorized.

The BQM-74E powered drones are remotely controlled subsonic air-to-air targets. The drones may be surface or air launched and are used as targets for air-to-air missile firings. Remote control of these drones is accomplished by either Portable Radar Tracking and Control System (PRTCS), or Integrated Target Control System (ITCS).

The QST-33/35 are highly maneuverable, remote controlled, fiberglass boats used as moving targets for inert rocket and/or bomb practice. The QST-33 Seaborne Powered Target (SEPTAR) is 18-feet long, and the QST-35 SEPTAR is 55-feet long. Remote control of the SEPTAR is accomplished by either a PRTCS, ITCS, or Control Target Transmitter System (CTTS). Scoring is done by the participating aircrews.

R-6606 is available Monday through Friday 1300 - 2200 or by Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) 48 hours in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik