Howdy folks, first flight today... I'm hooked...

Reaction score
My Phantom arrived from DSLRpros.com today and I'm thrilled with the results. (Plug for them, a free Phantom OEM battery with your purchase, but the free battery and their accessories are back ordered)

My first copter of any kind, all previous RC experience were cars and boats. I do play a ton of flight sims though, so I'm used to thinking in 3 dimensions.

Honestly, out of the box, this thing is a blast. I completed a 5-6 min test flight in GPS/Atti mode with some simple takeoff and landing. I got the quad out about 40 feet from me and can see how you can quickly, very quickly get disoriented and have a bad day in a heartbeat.

I need to go find a big, big field and play for a bit. I just used the Naza-M software to enable IOC.

I do have a few questions.

1. What's the charger of choice, stock? I ask because I understand I need to store my LiPo's at 50%, but I have no way to determine what 50% is.

2. LiPo storage at home? Where, in what.

3. Fireproof charging bag? Necessary?

4. Prop Balancing? Necessary?

5. Anyone using an iPhone 4 as a camera? I have an old iPhone 4 sitting in my endtable, figured I might put it to good, albeit expensive use.

I'm sure there's a few other things. I've ordered 2 Turnigy 2200 Mah 20c LiPo's from Hobby King, which are of course, backordered.

I have a feeling this is going to get addictive, and expensive quickly. Oof... Thanks folks!

Congrats on the newfound addiction.

1- I've just been using the charger that came with the Phantom.
I'm not really sure at what point is considered long-term storage vs short term battery storage.
but I figured I'd fly mine, charge the battery up, and then fly for another 5-6 minutes and that'll drain the battery down to around 50%.

2- I just keep my LiPo's laying around
3- couldn't hurt to get one of those LiPod fireproof bags I suppose

4- HELL Yes, prop balancing is critical if you want smoother video with less Jello effect. and better for the Phantom in general (less vibrations to muck things up) Pick up a decent balancer and watch tutorials on how to balance props and shafts. (and always make sure your props are screwed in snug before flying).

5-if you can rig it up, there's no reason you can't shoot using an iPhone.
..but you really want to get a GoPro that can shoot 60fps

6- hopefully the Turnigy batteries you ordered come with proper TX60 connectors, you might have to buy those as well.

Gizmo3000 said:
Congrats on the newfound addiction.

1- I've just been using the charger that came with the Phantom.
I'm not really sure at what point is considered long-term storage vs short term battery storage.
but I figured I'd fly mine, charge the battery up, and then fly for another 5-6 minutes and that'll drain the battery down to around 50%.

2- I just keep my LiPo's laying around
3- couldn't hurt to get one of those LiPod fireproof bags I suppose

4- HELL Yes, prop balancing is critical if you want smoother video with less Jello effect. and better for the Phantom in general (less vibrations to muck things up) Pick up a decent balancer and watch tutorials on how to balance props and shafts. (and always make sure your props are screwed in snug before flying).

5-if you can rig it up, there's no reason you can't shoot using an iPhone.
..but you really want to get a GoPro that can shoot 60fps

6- hopefully the Turnigy batteries you ordered come with proper TX60 connectors, you might have to buy those as well.

First thing is throw away those nuts. Every flight they have a tendency to come loose and come off and is only the Phantom I have an issue with this problem. The solution, get these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330868946142?ss ... 1439.l2649

They are lighter, and will never come off.

Also, when the original batteries become more available. I will much prefer them. I have a couple of Turnigy batteries, while they work well, the cables are thicker, making it much harder to put in the battery cables, they orginals it is easy to push in the cables, but the Turnigy makes things a bit tight due to thick cables.

I just joined this site. I got my Phantom a few weeks ago and can tell you this is the best one I've have. It's very easy to fly and the GPS is working out get. I haven't done the RTH yet but will do in the next week or two. I flew today in some pretty strong winds. It handled great. I didn't fly it too high just to make sure It could handle to wind. It did just find. I'm getting a camera soon so I can try it out. Also plan on doing some night flying when the wind slows down.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4