How would you fix this gimbal? Welding?

Reaction score
So last month I crashed my P2 and the gimbal snapped at this mounting point. I've sinced fixed it with an Epoxy putty - it's holding super well and have had a number of flights with it since. I don't know how long it will hold up and it looks a bit amateur. Was wondering if anyone has any recos on how to properly mend this - is welding the best option? Any option to make it stronger? I've noticed my gimbal also films with a slightly skewed horizon - not sure if that's the weight of the putty or if it's because the patched up arm is not straight.

Would love the opinions of the masses!

Thanks
14841173742_b16a82b8ec_z_d.jpg

****, that sucks. I had bent one of those arms in a crash and was luckily able to bend it back.

I would think welding it would be fine, can't see a reason it wouldn't.

trandg said:
So last month I crashed my P2 and the gimbal snapped at this mounting point. I've sinced fixed it with an Epoxy putty - it's holding super well and have had a number of flights with it since. I don't know how long it will hold up and it looks a bit amateur. Was wondering if anyone has any recos on how to properly mend this - is welding the best option? Any option to make it stronger? I've noticed my gimbal also films with a slightly skewed horizon - not sure if that's the weight of the putty or if it's because the patched up arm is not straight.

Would love the opinions of the masses!

Thanks
14841173742_b16a82b8ec_z_d.jpg

Would definitely consider welding that

That would be a tough weld. Assume its aluminum.

Hard to see from picture but can you sandwich it with two small pieces of aluminum on each side?

if possible I would try that and hold with a couple small #6 screws or similar. Maybe even mix some JB weld to help adhere the "sandwich"

Hi,

Check out this forum post

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=23023

Has nothing to do with your welding issue but my h3-3d gimbal is a write-off due to the mentioned cable problem. The gimbal is bought in June. I am considering selling the complete gimbal as a spare part source (frame, bracketd, prints, motors etc.).

If you are interested let me know!

KyleDecker said:
You could try JB weld

+1 -- I would highly consider JB weld! Good suggestion here.

Welding that will be tough and it's probably not necessary.

The skewed horizon may in fact be due to bent gimbal. I doubt it has anything to do with the putting making it off balance.

The metal used in the mounting bracket is such low quality alu zinc crap that it snaps like a twig and you can probably melt it with a lighter. If you put a welder to it, it would probably evaporate.

JB weld may work. And a bent or uneven mounting bracket will most definitely cause a horizon shift. I had this problem with the 2D.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers