How will Go Pro Karma compare to the Phantom 4?

Reaction score
I'm thinking of selling my P3s and getting a P4, but heard about this new go pro coming out. There aren't any specs on it. I'm also wondering how the distance will be. Which camera will be better?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's going to be hard to compare without specs. If it uses Wi-Fi (like all other competitors do), then it'll be no match for DJI's Lightbridge. And, with it being their first drone, I don't think it's going to be as mature and/or feature-packed as the Phantom 4.

their first attempt ?......will be plagued by teething problems m8 get a P4

Reactions: snowghost
Non shipping hardware is **always** better than anything you can buy. Of course, you have to wait six months before it ships and another couple of months before the beta testing is finished. While everybody else is having fun flying.

It is less expensive.

Without seeing the specs, hard to tell but as everyone else said, if it's wifi then it's no comparison to lightbridge and being their first drone, probably won't be as feature filled. Wonder if they started from scratch or bought an idea off someone to start up this project. Very interested in specs.

I don't think their "brain bank" or real bank is deep enough to compete with, let alone capture a large part of the market from DJI. They've been stuck pretty much since Hero3+ & Hero4. Unless they make some type of gargantuan tech leap, I don't think they have a chance.

Unless they can grasp the concept of a NON DISTORTION LENS then not very well. The whole reason I moved away from my P2's with Zenmuse gimbaled GoPros was the horizon curvature and distortion. I mod'd one of my GoPros with a special lens, but still not as good as the P3P camera... and now with the P4... well...

GoPro has been very slow on this and IMO has probably missed the boat, They will be very far behind. It will take a lot to come out and surprise people to top the features and quality that DJI and Yuneec already have.

Also, I'm still pissed that they intentionally changed the rear port of the GoPro's so the original Zenmuse rear port plug in gimbals would not work and DJI had to go to that flimsy side port plug in cable. They could have partnered with DJI and we would all have a better product today, but they want a bigger piece of the pie. I for one will have to see a BIG advancement over the other contenders to even consider their product...

I'm hoping it's a great unit, the competition always benefits the consumer. I certainly am an "N+1" kinda guy as the correct number of drones to own is N+1 where N equals the number of drones currently owned ;)

A bunch of us were flying Phantom 3s once last year and we launched by the GoPro parking lot. A guy walked by and talked for a while - turned out he was a hardware engineer on Karma. He wouldn't say much but it sounded like that was the only project they had going with high morale. He was positive and friendly. They were testing then in a giant indoor private place they built.

But they are so late it's pathetic. Now with the P4 shipping by the gazillion I think they've missed the boat, probably by a lot. But man would I love to be wrong! DJI needs some competition.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I think they've missed the boat, probably by a lot. But man would I love to be wrong! DJI needs some competition.

You said it :) if nothing else... maybe some competition to some of DJI's policies and software changes...

Even some bad curvature in their latest video release...Not very promising IMHO.

I wonder if Apple is still going to throw its hat into the ring???

image.jpeg

Apple would just buy DJI if they wanted in the drone business (and i wouldnt be surprised to see it happen).

I hope that GoPro pulls this off. They know they have tough competition.

I think the technology will be there as far as implementation, but like 3DR's Solo, the aesthetic design of the craft will be unappealing. It seems the US is great creating the tech. It just that it will lack the refined touch to appeal to the masses.

Apple needs to design a "drone". [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl