How to view your 4k video?

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new to the community and recently purchased a p4p I have been flying drones for a couple of years and finally decided that I wanted something that I can use for several years. Forgive my ignorance as I am a complete newbie as far as settings tricks tips etc.

I have made a couple of videos and have downloaded them onto an external hard drive and then watch them on my 4K TV. However I have noticed that if I record in 60 frames per second or 48 frames per second it will not play on my television. It will play the videos i recorded when I set the settings on the p4p to 30 frames per second or 24 frames per second.

My video signal is being passed through a USB cable did not know if that provided the same time of video quality as say an HDMI cable. I am use to hooking up an HDMI cable to watch 1080p is there such a cable that specifically for 4k.

When I watch the video off of my external hard drive it looks sharp however I cannot access the settings on the television to really determine if the video really is 4K.

I currently have a 65 inch Samsung SMART TV MODEL # UNJS8500.

If anyone has any tips tricks pointers help I would greatly appreciate it.

I plan to spend a lot of time on this forum and learn from all the veterans I am amazed at what this drone is capable of and can't wait to put it through its courses.

Safe flying to all.

Thanks

Last edited:
I think you'll have to dump your footage on an external drive and then you might have luck as long as your not shooting at 60fps maybe. I don't own a 4K tv yet so I can't test that. Love to hear what is the most common way to play footage that is not edited yet.

I just play mine straight to a 4K monitor at 60 fps - using either Windows 10 movie player or VLC

I think you'll have to dump your footage on an external drive and then you might have luck as long as your not shooting at 60fps maybe. I don't own a 4K tv yet so I can't test that. Love to hear what is the most common way to play footage that is not edited yet.
Yeah that's exactly what I have done I have downloaded it from the SD card onto an external hard drive and then connected the external hard drive to the television and I'm watching the video from the external hard drive via usb cable but was wondering if there are other ways to do it

I take the files from the drone's SD card and play them on my PC

Don't have a the newest and latest laptop so I was hoping to watch the videos I make directly on my television. Since it is 4K and specs states that it call play all 4k footage up to 60fps.

So I'm still confused, when using a external hard drive and sending video via a USB cable to the television is it truly 4K quality?

Don't have a the newest and latest laptop so I was hoping to watch the videos I make directly on my television. Since it is 4K and specs states that it call play all 4k footage up to 60fps.

So I'm still confused, when using a external hard drive and sending video via a USB cable to the television is it truly 4K quality?
yes it should be.

I use a thumb drive that's also a micro SD card reader, USB 3.0. I plug this into my Samsung Ks8000 USB port and it plays everything great and at 60fps

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Hello everyone I am new to the community and recently purchased a p4p I have been flying drones for a couple of years and finally decided that I wanted something that I can use for several years. Forgive my ignorance as I am a complete newbie as far as settings tricks tips etc.

I have made a couple of videos and have downloaded them onto an external hard drive and then watch them on my 4K TV. However I have noticed that if I record in 60 frames per second or 48 frames per second it will not play on my television. It will play the videos i recorded when I set the settings on the p4p to 30 frames per second or 24 frames per second.

My video signal is being passed through a USB cable did not know if that provided the same time of video quality as say an HDMI cable. I am use to hooking up an HDMI cable to watch 1080p is there such a cable that specifically for 4k.

When I watch the video off of my external hard drive it looks sharp however I cannot access the settings on the television to really determine if the video really is 4K.

I currently have a 65 inch Samsung SMART TV MODEL # UNJS8500.

If anyone has any tips tricks pointers help I would greatly appreciate it.

I plan to spend a lot of time on this forum and learn from all the veterans I am amazed at what this drone is capable of and can't wait to put it through its courses.

Safe flying to all.

Thanks
PS4 Pro can support 4K video, but only can supports 4K-resolution MP4 files — not MKV or other formats, what a pity, PS4 pro 4K MP4 formats is H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level 4.2, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level 5.2. Audio: AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital), LPCM. Best frame rate is 30 fps.
If you choose the TV with HDMI cable, the cable is HDMI 2.0 The newer Premium HDMI format can display a 4K signal at up to 60 frames per second (60Hz). Older High Speed HDMI cables (aka HDMI 1.4) can technically display a 4K signal on a 4K TV, but the performance will be limited to just 30 frames per second (30Hz).Fortunately, one will be included with the PS4 Pro. Be doubly careful which HDMI cable you use to connect the PS4 Pro to your 4K TV. Since the PS4 Pro will work with regular HDTVs and the regular HDMI cable.

With an HDMI cable?
Most modern PC monitors use either an HDMI or DisplayPort interface. If you have a graphics card that supports 4K and a 4K monitor then you just click on the file and play (and 4K on a good PC monitor looks amazing.) If you want to do serious editing you almost have to have a 4K setup but luckily the price has really been coming down and a mid-to-high-end 4K card and a decent 4K monitor can be had for less than a grand these days.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
There are so many factors here, both with the HDMI version as well the TV, it's player, and the USB drive. 4K 60FPS requires a pretty fast interface. HDMI 2.0 and likely USB 3.0 would be required. Plus your TV and it's player software would have to support 60fps. Not all 4K TV's would support this, especially early ones. Also, if you have a USB 3.0 drive, make sure it's connected to a USB 3.0 port on the TV. Usually the connector is blue on USB 3.0. Many devices have both USB 2.x and 3.0 ports.

I just play mine straight to a 4K monitor at 60 fps - using either Windows 10 movie player or VLC

What did you do to get VLC to play 4K at 60fps? I have a quick computer and an Nvidia 1060 6gig card. VLC is HORRIBLE on my box but KMP plays it flawlessly.

I would love to get VLC to work. It is completely useless for me at this point in time for 4k.

Not sure Jim, I think VLC runs in RAM rather than video memory - my system ram is 32GB (i7 processor/GTX770 4GB GFX card) and I've never noticed an issue with smooth playback

Not sure Jim, I think VLC runs in RAM rather than video memory - my system ram is 32GB (i7 processor/GTX770 4GB GFX card) and I've never noticed an issue with smooth playback

I am running an i7 as well, with 48 gigs of ram and the 1060 6gig Nvidia card. VLC cannot get through a single frame of 4K h264 video. It breaks up and halts and is an absolute disaster. KMP Player breezes through 4K/60 like it is a hot knife slicing butter. VLC... useless.

This is a problem that seems to be widespread too as a Google search brings up many hits for this issue and VLC.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr