How to video: Checking if battery cells are good or bad

Nice. I wonder if it is a real check.

That video is not playing for me and says its set to private.

BUT is it the video were the guy mistakenly believes that by pressing the button were it shows you the remaining battery life. thins it is telling him he has a bad cell on a battery with only about 12 charges on it and he says hes going to toss it and not risk flying it???? its right in the manual for the batterys leds and how to use the buttoms that that just shows you the remaining life/

IF it is that video dude is wrong. That thing were you can get it to show you the remaining battery life threw the leds Just basicly tells you how many of the 300 charges you can get out of a battery before the life counter is at zero % and even that is no real indication of the batterys health cause it just counts off 1% every 3 charges. and even if a battery is toast even after just 3 charges the remaining life will still show 99% even on one thats toast. or if you had one that had 150 charges and is perfectly taken care of and healthy as can be it will show 50% remaining health.

The only good way to know for sure if all 3 cells are good is to pop it in the the phantom and plug in to the naza assistant and look at the volts for all 3 cells and the total millamps that its holding. Even a battery with a locked out cell will show its 100 % charged on the leds even when its only got 2 working cells and really only holding about 2/3rd of a full charge.

I think I saw the video the other day. If you hold the power button down for 5 or so seconds, all 3 cell lights will illuminate & power button will blink. If you have a bad cell, that cell led will flash. I've looked for the video but can't find it. If I do, I will post it. I saw another post saying that this is an indication of how many cycles are left in the battery & not a test of bad cells.

I can't imagine how it could tell you which cell is bad without making holes in the battery to read each cell's voltage. Plus, it wouldn't play for me either.

Edit: I misread, I thought this was a charger for all RC batteries.

it was even in one of the dji manuals on how to use the battery and what the leds mean and it even said that just tells you approximately how much % of battery life there is left on one.
If you hold the power button down for 5 or so seconds, the leds will come on and stay on for few seconds and power button will blink.. If all 4 leds come on solid you have 87.5%~100% life remaining out of the 300 charges you get before they brick them selves. 3 solid and one blinking one is 75%~87.5% life left etc etc etc They use the same patterns on the leds for the life as they do when you just press be button to see how much charge you have or how much charge when its turned on.

So if you have a battery thats had about 40 charges on it. its going to show you 3 solids and one blinking led. when checking the remaining life

Id really hate to see anyone go and toss a perfectly good battery cause of that guys video. lots and lots of people tried to let him know incase he hadn't tossed his yet that it was not any indication of the cells being good or bad.

tho it would be nice if the battery could tell you if a cell was bad but the battery's dont even seem to know even when one is dead it will still show it took a full charge even if you have 2 cells locked out and its only got about 4.2 volts in the whole thing and 1700mas its why so many people have had what they thought were full charged battery's and they go in to auto land right after they take off.

Agreed J.J.

Plus, we shouldn't just toss batteries into the trash! Check your city for drop off locations. Mtechnically, that even applies to a AAA battery. Unfortunately, some towns/cities, do not have such a center. But, please check.

I was also the environmental contact for our company and before that, I never knew that it was wrong to throw small batteries out. Many small batteries create a huge problem. If you have a Battery Store, they will accept all used batteries.

mendezl said:
That makes more sense. Appreciate the clarification. The video has been made private so it seems they also realized the error.
Yep, I think after he posted it, someone must of told him that was not true. There still is another guys video out there, it has a big circle with line through it & says Busted on it.

I just hope for his sake that he found out the battery was still good before he disposed of it.

Plus, we shouldn't just toss batteries into the trash! Check your city for drop off locations. Mtechnically, that even applies to a AAA battery. Unfortunately, some towns/cities, do not have such a center. But, please check.

I was also the environmental contact for our company and before that, I never knew that it was wrong to throw small batteries out. Many small batteries create a huge problem. If you have a Battery Store, they will accept all used batteries.

In ny state were I'm at its now a $10,000 fine if you get caught throwing ANY battery away or any thing that even has a battery in it. Even if its a battery that can cause no harm to any one or any thing if thrown away. But they also now require any place that sells battery's to let you drop it off and cant charge you any kind of a disposal fee.

But even besides that some one should never just completely toss any of the phantom 2 battery's being there's still value in keeping them for the desirable hackable parts even if it is a legitimately trashed battery. The tops and the boards can be used by thos that hack there own after market battery's to work in the phantom 2's and they still need a new circuit board every 300 charges because the boards brick them selves once the counter hits 300 and so far there is no known way to completely reset the counter. Tho there is a way to solder in a resister that can trick it to count the charges differently. So that it only counts every 2 or 3 charges as a charge cycle. and also if the battery is not puffed. The battery cells can be taken out and have plugs wired in to turn them in to a regular 3 cell lippo that can then be recharged on a normal lipo battery charger. and the more people that can get there hands on some of these buggers to see what makes the tick with out having to tear apart a perfectly good expensive one the quicker it will be that some one cracks there code and figures out how to reset that counter and all that other good stuff these to smart for then there own good battery's issues. Then the sooner every one can enjoy not having to shell out so much money on a sub standard 5200mah battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31