How to tell if your "New" drone is used

Reaction score
Hey PhantomPilots! I'm buying the P4 from the Apple Store, hopefully today! I've been reading a lot of threads where somebody buys it from various places and they find out it's been used and returned, and sometimes even refurbished!

What are the easiest ways to tell if your "New" Phantom 4 has been used? Most people say to look at the logs. Is there another quick and easy way, like checking it right at the store when you buy?

Besides scrapes on the body and some packing stickers missing, are there any other signs that would hint at previous ownership?

Thanks

You'll get to give it a custom name when you first set it up. If it's already named, someone beat you to it. I don't think DJI lets you rename the bird once it been named.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: techmyjustin
You'll get to give it a custom name when you first set it up. If it's already named, someone beat you to it. I don't think DJI lets you rename the bird once it been named.

Thanks for the idea! Do they come with a default name of some kind, like the serial number as the name?

Thanks for the idea! Do they come with a default name of some kind, like the serial number as the name?
No, the first time you connect it to the DJI GO app you will have to "activate" it, that is when you will name it.

Don't use stickers as an indicator of previous use. Some have them and some don't, there are many different sticker variations. My second Phantom also has an unlock marking on the locking mechanism that the first didn't, the first had a removeable sticker. My second one also had an extra foam insert where the spare batteries would go inside the foam box that the first didn't. So, don't use slight variations in packaging and stickers as an indicator.

I just had a somewhat reassuring chat with Apple support regarding the sale of Used Phantom 4s:

chat1.jpg

Reactions: phantom13flyer
How the hell do you name it?
It makes you name it when activating it through the go app. Necessary before flying. I think that was a one time thing and probably was on the dealer. If DJI was slimy enough to do that, I think they would reset it. This is not the norm I don't think.

I just picked it up from the Apple store. Wish me luck! The packaging all looks brand new so far.

Apple does not resell drones that have been returned if the box has been opened

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Sim597

Also, it'll make you activate it

Looks like I bought a new one :) I'll hopefully fly it today. Thanks for the help.

Of course apple doesn't resell drones as new, this is more **** ridiculousness from phantom owners. Out of all the hobbies and things I've gotten into in my life, I've never seen more BS and crying and worrying and returns over nothing, in my life, and I'm into a half dozen hobbies at a time! My god, it made a beep the other day, return it! My software said there's a firmware discrepancy, but it goes away, return it! When it's starting but not ready it says bla bla, but once it's ready all that goes away, return it!!
I personally guarantee you'll get a brand new bird, wait, there's a sticker not there! Return it!!!!

No wonder they're $1400, they have to cover all the returns for normally operating birds, and to be fair, I bought Into this, my horizon was tilted, I returned it, guess what? It didn't fix a thing, I thought it was better, but that proved to be wrong, it's exactly like the other one, and you risk getting a lemon, I had a hell of a time upgrading firmware on the 2nd one, DJI actually told me to return the second one! Well, that didn't need to be done either!

Reactions: Reed L and Myetkt
I think it's a valid concern, paying full price for a used or refurbished drone. Once you get over the $1000 mark on a piece of technology, you kind of expect that it's going to be new if you're paying full retail price.

For the new ones that were packaged slightly below par, maybe all of the stickers weren't there, that's ok. But if I'm buying a used one at full price, it makes me wonder why the original buyer returned it.

Valid concerns.

That being said, it looks like mine is new, and I took it out for it's first flight. I'm satisfied.

I think it's a valid concern, paying full price for a used or refurbished drone. Once you get over the $1000 mark on a piece of technology, you kind of expect that it's going to be new if you're paying full retail price.

For the new ones that were packaged slightly below par, maybe all of the stickers weren't there, that's ok. But if I'm buying a used one at full price, it makes me wonder why the original buyer returned it.

Valid concerns.

That being said, it looks like mine is new, and I took it out for it's first flight. I'm satisfied.
Of course I agree you should get new for new prices, and forget why it was returned, the fact it's not new is enough, but, but! Apple doesn't do this and there are zero claims that back up any evidence it has ever happened

I've just received a replacement, first one I picked up was in the brown from China box, with the retail box inside. This one however, the brown box had been opened (apparently to check it was a P4 (had p4 on the brown box too)).

Anyways, this being the case I inspected it very carefully, one of the motors has a slight discolouration (on the outside of the metal cylinder). Battery port slightly looser than my original.

and.. plugging it into the computer with DJI assistant showed a bunch of files - I've downloaded the .dats from there, but can't seem to open them - seems they were all created on the same date at the same time so I'm assuming this is factory soft test, i.e does it boot! Can anyone confirm on an unactivated P4 whether they have the same bunch of files? (on the birds internal memory).

The memory card is interesting in that it was formatted the day AFTER it was shipped from China?

Anyways, it's let me name her, seemed to take longer to activate.

Slightly different squeak on the gimbal on startup. Lower pitch but for slightly longer duration.

Polystyrene box seems wider on the bottom than on the top, i.e when I close it it doesn't seem as flush.

Not tested flight yet as charging up the controller.

All accessories had labels etc though not on the bottom of the VPS sensors (can't remember if my old one did anyways).

If only they'd not opened that brown box!

Question is, definitely new since I had to name & activate?

EDIT: SN on box and drone match, with shipping date just over a week ago. Box has a large letter D on it on a blue background, the D mean anything?

Last edited:
Who can be definite???

Returned units maybe replaced with refurbished units and/or parts as per DJI policy.

As far as card formatting... who knows the accuracy of those dates or what 'shipped' means in this context?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers